Author Topic: Cue Ball Wizard Opinions  (Read 393 times)

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Cue Ball Wizard Opinions
« on: September 04, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
Its a 90's Gottlieb, that doesnt worry me (enough guys have told me they are very reliable). It has a Cue Ball in the middle of the PF (which can be removed, and settings made so game knows its gone). I like drop targets, and I like simple walk-up bash-away games. I havent played this pin though!
Can all the drop targets be hit from the flippers, or are some reliant on pop-bumpers taking them out?
Opinions of the game? I know they are a cheaper title, but good bang for buck?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 10:27:12 AM by Extra Ball »

Offline v200juke

• Forum Posts:
Re: Cue Ball Wizard Opinions
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 10:55:30 AM »
If you want a game to cure your insomnia play this one. Looks great, ultra boring to play.

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 11:05:04 AM »
Owned one for a little while many years ago.

The cue ball makes the gameplay a little "Clunky". Yes you can take the cue ball out, but it makes a relatively simple game even simpler.

You can sharp shoot a couple of the drop targets from the flippers, but most of the drop target action is taken care of by the bumpers at the top.

Some of the speech calls can get a little grating "You sure need that ramp shot"

Bottom line is that it's a fun game for a while. Better suited to a large collection as the novelty might wear thin after a short while.

Do i miss mine?. Nah, not really.

Sold it to a friend of a friend for $900 and it was pretty close to mint. I know he still has it, and i could probably get it back for what i sold it for, but i couldn't be arsed.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 11:06:48 AM by Rod71 »

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 05:30:30 PM »
i have one,absolutly love it.clints voice,reliability,(had it for 3 years and never even needed a globe),a half billion shot(that is hard)a definite keeper imho.
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline madness

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 05:38:25 PM »
Was one of the first games i owned,as i used to play it in the pub in my youth.
Unfortuneately for me i must have been drinking to much back then because once i had it in my possesion i could not get rid of it quickly enough.
Boring Game ((( ((( (((

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 07:28:49 PM »
I nearly bought one based on a friend's strong opinions for it - played it on Visual Pinball and enjoyed it as well. I like the theme, and the two balls (one on playfield, one above) make it interesting.

I imagine I will get one eventually, especially if it was offered at the right price - which is highly possible as I think it is generally under-rated as a game.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 08:08:42 PM »
People that own them love them. Others think they are dogs. I really need to play one, but if the price was right I would just buy it on the suspicion I would like it.  :lol

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 08:18:32 PM »
People that own them love them. Others think they are dogs. I really need to play one, but if the price was right I would just buy it on the suspicion I would like it.  :lol

I agree for sure.  If the price is right why not. 

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 10:14:52 PM »
They had one at the local pub years ago Greg that I used to have a bash on . As a game I didn't mind it .In answer to your question about the drop targets YES you can hit them all with the flippers. Removing the white cue ball from the game I think will take away a big part of how it plays . The game needs the white ball to get the jackpots in multi-ball .You have to hit the cue ball up to hit the green targets near the base of the cue (these green targets are up high and can only be hit by the cue ball and not the pinball) . Once you hit the green targets the cue shoots the 8 ball at the coloured stand up targets in the raised playfield . Depending on which ones you hit as to what jackpot you get . If you take the white ball out how do you get the jackpots ...  !@#

I like the look of the game and Clint Eastwood's voice is a nice touch .

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 10:23:47 PM »
Thanks Scott, the idea of the game appeals to me. One thing is love doing is trying out the cheaper/less popular titles  :D

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 10:47:54 PM »
They had one at the local pub years ago Greg that I used to have a bash on . As a game I didn't mind it .In answer to your question about the drop targets YES you can hit them all with the flippers. Removing the white cue ball from the game I think will take away a big part of how it plays . The game needs the white ball to get the jackpots in multi-ball .You have to hit the cue ball up to hit the green targets near the base of the cue (these green targets are up high and can only be hit by the cue ball and not the pinball) . Once you hit the green targets the cue shoots the 8 ball at the coloured stand up targets in the raised playfield . Depending on which ones you hit as to what jackpot you get . If you take the white ball out how do you get the jackpots ...  !@#

I like the look of the game and Clint Eastwood's voice is a nice touch .

Cant remember for sure, but i think the white targets under the green ones takes it's place when the cue ball is removed. You need to set the machine in adjustments to say the ball has been removed.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 11:20:04 PM »
Picked up a real nice, fully working example for $200  a few years ago ^^^

Sold if a few weeks later for a nice profit  #@#

If that damn cue ball wasn't there would be a much better game

Would save my cash for a better game Greg

Rates 7.4 on the IPDB http://www.ipdb.org/rate/showrate.pl?gid=610

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 12:02:58 PM »
Played it a few times at a local pub - did not like it at all, but as with most games, one man's meat.. .. ..
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline FreePlay

• Forum Posts:
  • Lewisham, Sydney
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 11:12:24 PM »
I didn't like it at all

Offline pinball-collector

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 11:49:41 PM »
l have one in my collection,, and l would say,,that l love it,,good fun,,dont have to think. jack pots are good,,, mine has never broke down, and had it for 5 years. if you can find one for under $1500,, l would say,,worth buying. l think they are slowly getting hard to find..but they are around..