Author Topic: Getting a pin shopped  (Read 261 times)

Offline TSPP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Getting a pin shopped
« on: September 07, 2009, 03:51:14 PM »
Just wondering if there is anyone who can give me an idea on getting a JD shopped? Looking at buying one unshopped and just wondering what it entails to get it shopped? are there standard things ppl offer at a standard price? Can this happen at my place or does someone come and pick it up and take it away? How much should i expect to pay? Can anyone recommed anyone to do this for me?

Appreciated the help
.....something witty here

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Getting a pin shopped
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 03:56:17 PM »
The term shopping a pin has been discussed on here a few times.

Can vary greatly from person to person, business to business.

Its a great experience to do it yourself and just requires some patience and elbow grease.  If you have a digital camera - that is the best way to start by taking as many photos as possible.  Strip the playfield of the major furniture (ie plastics, posts, ramps etc), nifty on a rag, novus 2, 1 and canubra wax.
Replace blown globes, new rubbers, check flippers and put a kit through if required.

If you're not confident to do it maybe email MarkC or PinballFixers (Owen) and get an idea of price.

For me I can spend anywhere between 10 to 30 hours shopping a pin.

Offline pistolpete78

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisneyland
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 07:54:59 PM »
Seems that the definition of shpooed varies depending on who you talk to, so you probably get what you pay for in most cases.

As Marty said, there was a thread not long ago here about what some people consider shopped which would probably be worth the read......

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 10:10:30 PM »
Seems that the definition of shpooed varies depending on who you talk to, so you probably get what you pay for in most cases.

As Marty said, there was a thread not long ago here about what some people consider shopped which would probably be worth the read......

Some of the "shop jobs" I've seen over the years ended up being VERY "Shpooed" = They looked like crap. You DO need to be careful who you deal with.

The term "shopped" means many things to different people.

A Business shopping a pin is different from a Hobbyist shopping a pin.

Shopping can be as poor as using "Nifti in one hand, Rag in another", to a full teardown with every rubber and globe replaced.

If you want the machine done PROPERLY - Then contact Childs / PSP / Pinball-fixers. They also happen to be our Sponsors - So support them  $!&

I know the techs there very well, and they are the best in Melbourne.

On the other hand - from a Hobbyist's point of view - Why not have a go yourself ? We all started "somewhere".

If you want a Business, or anyone other than yourself to do the work - you will need to take the machine to their premises.

Hope that helps.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 09:36:12 AM »
The interesting thing about MarkC's is that you can go and talk to the techs about what they do to shop a machine, and you can watch them in action. I saw part of a process where the playfield had been 'nifti'ed, and the tech was working on buffing it with Novus and a sheepskin buffing pad on an electric drill (this playfield had a fair bit of ball swirl from memory). They also had buffed up the metal posts on a wire wheel or similar.

To what extent the machine gets 'shopped' will depend on your budget, but as a minimum I would expect replacement rubbers, playfield buffed and waxed, and any faults fixed (these would need to be in addition to a flat fee). If plastics are readily available you can request these are replaced at the same time. And the display as well, if it was tired.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 09:55:09 AM »

When purchasing an "as is" machine - remember that in addition to having the game "shopped out" to your standards, the boards will need to be refurbished as well. Depending on the manufacturer, this involves different processes. Connectors nearly always need to be done, filter caps and Bridge Rectifiers and then the various faults (if any) need to be attended to..
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 08:32:04 PM »

When purchasing an "as is" machine - remember that in addition to having the game "shopped out" to your standards, the boards will need to be refurbished as well. Depending on the manufacturer, this involves different processes. Connectors nearly always need to be done, filter caps and Bridge Rectifiers and then the various faults (if any) need to be attended to..

Good point; I should start reading some of those guides everyone keeps talking about.