Author Topic: GETTING THAT PRE 1975 GTB MACHINE TO START UP - MULTI METER USE  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
heres the start up sequence for pre 1975 single player Gottlieb games - in particular PRO FOOTBALL

INSERT COIN OR PUSH CREDIT BUTTON ACTIVATES "S" RELAY
 S RELAY ENERGISES "HOLD" RELAY AND ILLUMINATES GAME
S RELAY STARTS MOTOR RUNNING
 SB RELAY IS ACTIVATED THROUGH SCORE MOTOR
SB RELAY ENERGISES "Z" RELAY
Z RELAY RESETS PLAYER 1 SCORE REEL TO ZERO
SB RELAY RESETS PLAYER UNIT THROUGH SCORE MOTOR
U RELAY RESETS RESET BANK AND DROP TARGETS
IF BALL IN OUTHOLE THEN "O" RELAY ACTIVATED THROUGH SCORE MOTOR AND SWITCH ON XB RELAY
O RELAY WILL NOT WORK IF 'BONUS UNIT"IS NOT AT ZERO.

Ok, i dont have a GTb game  of this vintage so ill be using my 1964 Williams instead. What we need to asacertain is that the switches are open and closed properly  -= this is the only logic there is in an EM game, its either on or off ( logic 1 or 0)

I find an ANOLOGUE multi meter is best for this because we dont have to read numbers on a display to verify switch closure - we just need to see needle sweep.

First of all - set meter to LOW OHMS setting

an OPEN switch looks like this on the meter - needle is all the way to the left

CLOSED switch looks like this

Now lets say we have a problem with the XB relay... it will look like this

If you look closely, you can see that some switches in their natural state are meant to be open, some are closed. We need to make sure that a good connection is made by those that are meant to be closed, so we put the leads of our meter across each switch - im using a clip here for one lead as i need my other hand to take the pic - LOL!

If the switch is closed then you should see the needle move over to the right on the display on the multi meter

When the relay is activated, the coil pulls the switches over, this is normally a pulse, but some are held in place ie - HOLD relay. This will change some switches from OPEN to CLOSED etc To check this state just move the switch stack over with your finger, use a clip and test each switch one by one

If testing a switch closure on the score motor attach clips to the switch in question making sure they are not touching each other or anything else and turn the motor by hand - you should see the needle move over as the switch gets closed - if not - IT IS FAULTY

Be careful when attaching the clips - follow the leaf switch through, its easy to get confused with what solder joint is connected to what switch.

If you follow this procedure through from start of sequence to the end systematically then there is no reason why you cant either diagnose why the game wont start, or get it started.
If the score motor is running, then its is safe to assume the S relay is activating motor and we can move onto the SB relay stage etc

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Good work Gav saved me a job and i dont have access to any EMs at the moment

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
Gav that is bloody brilliant!! you make it look real simple!!! will buy a multimeter on the weekend and test all the switches in the start sequence  ^^^

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Excellent guide Gav.

I reckon this may be the turning point for the Pro Football!

I can see Ford's thread being finalised by the end of the week. 

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
Excellent guide Gav.

I reckon this may be the turning point for the Pro Football!

I can see Ford's thread being finalised by the end of the week. 

Huge call Marty but i'll give it a go!!!  :lol :lol

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Good Stuff Gav. I wish I could find my analogue meter  %.%
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Take gavs lead and look inside your pins lol

Offline specs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woronora Heights
 Thanks Retropin,
                       Just joined this site and to come across this thread is great timing. I have a gottlieb em machine that is having trouble stating up. So tomorrow out with the multimeter .
                         Cheers.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Thanks Retropin,
                       Just joined this site and to come across this thread is great timing. I have a gottlieb em machine that is having trouble stating up. So tomorrow out with the multimeter .
                         Cheers.

Hi Specs,

Good to have you on board and welcome to Aussie Pinball.

How about an introduction to the rest of us?

http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?board=2.0