Author Topic: Backglass Question  (Read 297 times)

Offline deadlydave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
Backglass Question
« on: September 17, 2009, 11:26:04 PM »
Hi all,
Finally got around to sealing my backglass, around the outer edge masking tape had been applied and was peeling off in places, I was going to remove the lot but alas it was stuck very well in other areas. From the bits I removed I saw there was two layers of glass. Is this standard on a backglass or has previous owner added an outer sheet and held them together with the tape?
Cheers
Dave

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Backglass Question
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 11:43:13 PM »
Ive had an old Chicago coin backglass like this not sure if it was original or not.  What backglass are you sealing?

Offline deadlydave

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 11:47:20 PM »
Hi Daniel,
Its on the Quick Draw, still only have the one machine at the moment, but saving my coins for another  ^^^

Cheers
Dave

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 11:49:28 PM »
If the masking tape you are trying to remove is only on the edges and as you say it is very well stuck and you can't get it to peel off then you could remove it by carefully rubbing it with some emery / sandpaper . Not sure about the 2 pieces of glass though . You don't want to remove all the tape if it is holding the 2 sheets of glass together .If the tape on the edge can't be seen then why not leave it .

Offline deadlydave

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 12:38:28 AM »
Hi Cruiserman,
I have given up trying to remove tape and have sealed glass as is, I was just curious to know if the two sheets of glass was a stock thing or if one has been added.
Cheers
Dave

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 06:29:37 AM »
If its on fast draw then the second sheet of glass has been added  ^^^

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 07:21:15 AM »
Dave,

In the good old days the operators used to place a second sheet of glass infront of the backkglass to give it a bit more protection from being broken

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 08:15:33 AM »
Could also be an "IMPORT" - some machines had a plastic rather than glass - a sheet of glass was then placed in front of this. It prevented breakage during shipping.

If the machine has a 240V input with NO step down then this could be the reason - is the back sheet glass or acrylic?
 My BANK A BALL has the same thing except clear sticky tape was used to keep the two together - this just crumbled off though - no issues at all removing it...

...OR.. could be as Tony suggests

Offline pinball-collector

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 10:34:08 PM »
Dave,

In the good old days the operators used to place a second sheet of glass infront of the backkglass to give it a bit more protection from being broken

ah,,was wondering why, that foto finnish , had a 2nd sheet of glass in front of the backglass.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 10:45:24 PM »
Could also be an "IMPORT" - some machines had a plastic rather than glass - a sheet of glass was then placed in front of this. It prevented breakage during shipping.

If the machine has a 240V input with NO step down then this could be the reason - is the back sheet glass or acrylic?
 My BANK A BALL has the same thing except clear sticky tape was used to keep the two together - this just crumbled off though - no issues at all removing it...

...OR.. could be as Tony suggests

Actually Gav,

There is another reason - if the import game had a plastic backglass the ops used to place a sheet of thin glass infront of the 'backglass' to stop the punters playing burning a small hole in the 'backglass' near the credit unit. The punter would then be able (through the small hole) be able to manually activate the credit unit. Then the game Dave has is from 1977 so they didn't make plastic backglasses for export then, only glass. Plastic backglasses were stopped being made around 1969 which is a shame as I have never seen a backglass on plastic that is at least a 9/10 from that time period

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 11:10:59 PM »
The Fire cracker i have i think is on plastic and its easily a 9/10

Offline deadlydave

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 11:17:31 PM »

Thanks for the info guys,
both sheets are glass, so Tony is probably on the money.