Author Topic: Random reset on LAH (fixed!)  (Read 7698 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Random reset on LAH
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 09:25:57 PM »

Looks to me like the IDC connector has been butchered and another wire (yellow) has been used in its place. It might look ugly, but it looks like it was a "running repair"..

I don't see the "loose" wire - looks to be three wires soldered, and a diode in circuit.

I'd be looking at the circuit to see if the Spinner diode is wired correctly. I know you replaced it, but it might have been around the wrong way to start with ?

Thanks Nino,

Sorry the middle terminal (white wire) is just hanging down to no where...It looks like it has been connected at some stage but NFI where......

I've gone over everything again (ie I now totally agree re the fugly repair)...I will try to locate the spinner on the schematics and double check....My head is starting to hurt a little now...

The other thing is that it may be a feature that just has not been noticed - ie when the spinner switch is activated these do too?

From looking at the switch matrix, the one thing in common is the Grn/Gry wire (column) whereby it has scoop spinner, left & right flipper... The left & right flipper share the same rows as trough 7 and shooter lane?  Is it possible that the flipper board is playing funny buggers?  I have had intermittent issues with it previously and I was considering giving it the boot and getting a rottendog / pinled replacement...I'm just thinking back to the whole ripper issue being related to the magnet pcb?? (just shooting from the hip again)...

Off to check diode orentation.... 

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 09:29:56 PM »

Your problem looks to be a switch matrix issue...You may need to check all the switches in the same row as the flippers and spinner.. That wire "floating around" is not right... you will need to find out what purpose in life this has...
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 09:59:02 PM »

Your problem looks to be a switch matrix issue...You may need to check all the switches in the same row as the flippers and spinner.. That wire "floating around" is not right... you will need to find out what purpose in life this has...

I have manually checked every single switch in diagnostics and 1 through to 64 works (ie displays correct switch when pressed)...

The column with flippers & spinners - Q48 GRN-GRY (CN8-9)...Each switch also works but I will check wiring as best as I can...

The diode (if I'm reading schematics correctly) the non-banded side goes to WHT-ORN for spinner switch.  If this is correct I will check others too...

The smart missile button does NOT have a diode - so if again I'm reading schematics correctly it should have (non-banded side to WHT-BLU)?

My head is starting to hurt with all of this.  I agree with you 100% Nino (as if I wouldn't!) as it is a switch matrix issue.  Hopefully its not the CPU...

From reading Clay's guide to such issues, I'm not sure how to isolate which switches are bad.....I believe it is the scoop spinner which is causing the phantom activations...but I can't understand how to work out the other switches I need to look at within the "corners of the square"....I will need to elimate all of these before I look at the CPU...

« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 10:29:06 PM by MartyJ »

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 11:52:50 PM »

Don't stress Marty - All these games have small issues - and that's what they turn out to be = "Small issues"..

If I had the schematic in front of me - I could help you out a bit better. You problem is with the row or column that the flippers and spinner is in. Look at the schematic for the switch matrix - "read" each switch and follow the wire guide and the orientation of the diode in respect to the switch physically... It could be a bad diode on that row, or a switch that is not wired correctly.. Also, check that each switch lug is not touching anything like a light socket etc..

Offline humpalot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 12:45:34 AM »
I'll dig out the manual tomorrow.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 09:28:15 AM »
I'll dig out the manual tomorrow.

Good stuff Mick... I'm betting on a mis wired switch or failed diode...

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 11:46:11 AM »
Thanks guys....I appreciate your help.

Mick, if your able to have a look at your LAH and see where the white wire (middle lug) of that terminal block just to the right of the middle scoops is to go as well I would appreciate it as well....I couldn't find it on the schematics either...

Regards

Marty

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 12:39:07 PM »

Mick, if your able to have a look at your LAH and see where the white wire (middle lug) of that terminal block just to the right of the middle scoops is to go as well I would appreciate it as well....I couldn't find it on the schematics either...

Regards

Marty

OK firstly the smart missile does NOT use a diode.

Your problem appears to be in column 8 GRN-GRY wire.  Same column you were having trouble with before in regards to the crane movement.

This column has: middle scoop left, middle scoop right, scoop spinner, crane left limit, crane right limit, smart missile, left flipper and right flipper.

The loose white wire under the playfield goes to the banded side of the diode on the micro switch for the middle scoop right.

That connector at CN8 needs to be replaced, I'd also bet that the header pins there would be burnt or tarnished if so replace them too.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 12:51:55 PM »

Regards

Marty

OK firstly the smart missile does NOT use a diode.

Your problem appears to be in column 8 GRN-GRY wire.  Same column you were having trouble with before in regards to the crane movement.

This column has: middle scoop left, middle scoop right, scoop spinner, crane left limit, crane right limit, smart missile, left flipper and right flipper.

The loose white wire under the playfield goes to the banded side of the diode on the micro switch for the middle scoop right.

That connector at CN8 needs to be replaced, I'd also bet that the header pins there would be burnt or tarnished if so replace them too.

OK....Would that wire not being connected cause the above issues?  I will reconnect tonight...

Re CN8...It looks a bit average with the soldering job...I will replace but no signs of burnt on connector (apart from where soldered?)...Where can I get connector / header pins?

When I replaced the crane assembly motor/gear it works 100%...The switches were left as is...

Should I get any other switches within that column?

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2008, 01:18:30 PM »
Just replace the wire and report back with what happens.

http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/

Sell replacement connectors and pins, if you don't replace that connector it will come back to haunt you at a later time.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2008, 01:19:31 PM »

Sell replacement connectors and pins, if you don't replace that connector it will come back to haunt you at a later time.

Will do!

No shortcuts here......

Thanks again.  Wont be til tonight but will update asap.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2008, 02:06:20 PM »

Usual suspects (Greg and Mark) sell the headers / pins / housings if you don't want to order O/S.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2008, 02:14:24 PM »
Ahh OK...

If I only had frequent pinball points with both Greg & Mark....

*%*

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2008, 05:42:44 PM »
Ahh OK...

If I only had frequent pinball points with both Greg & Mark....

*%*

lol

after all the time we spent together .....
my wife was wondering when  u moving in ?

<.> <.>

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2008, 07:09:02 PM »

OK.  Loose white wire resoldered back on to middle right scoop (diode side)....Nil change.

With a clear head this arvo (been thinking about this prob all day!)...realised one thing...The scoop spinner is causing phantom's (or is it contributing)....Realised that I have 6 active switches as well (ball trough)....Removed all balls, trough 3 seems to be a culprit.....

With Trough 3 activated, scoop spinner activated problem occurs....  With trough 3 off, spinner on and both flippers activated...Nil prob...

I have swapped switch (with diode ) with a spare...Nil value..

(scratches head)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 08:28:50 PM by MartyJ »