Author Topic: Guess the end-price KISS  (Read 871 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Guess the end-price KISS
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 07:09:14 PM »
A little band called The Beatles and Elvis invented merchandising  #@#

KISS took it a step further where they had total control and got all the cash from it.

No where near, not even 5% of where KISS took the Merchandising junket. The "Mamas and Papas" had a T-Shirt too. However once KISS had pioneered merchandising in the late 70's, everyone had a lunch box and a choker. I think KISS made more money from merchandising than concert and record sales combined. Now the music means nothing - just look at MTV - It is now considered a "product" - Music counts for nothing - it is all image and merchandising.

Nowadays - the bands from the 50's and 60's that missed out out the income of merchandising are more than making up for it. But still, KISS are kings. FFS - You can even buy and be buried in a KISS Koffin - Dimebag Darrel was buried in one. Thats just crazy.

There was an interview during the Iron Maiden tour where Bruce mentioned that half their earnings come from the merchandising stand.

Yet the KISS pinball is not worth as much O/S !

Now why is this?.
Back in 1979/80 the popularity of KISS in the US was fading fast.  But over here it was just beginning to take off!

I remember hearing or reading back in the mid 90's when they came back for the conventions, that they had wanted to tour Australia during the 80's but were told by the Australian promoters that there wasn't any interest here.

I think the going rate for KISS over here reflects a couple of things. Firstly the huge number of fans in this country, and secondly the price for working generic titled games over here is over the odds compared to other countries anyway.  So if decent working EM's or early SS sold on eBay in Australia every day of the week for $300 - $500, You'd imagine most Kiss machines here wouldn't crack $3k tops.

They wanted to tour here in 1977-78 - at the peak of their career - but no promoters would book them due to the logistical nightmare of shipping in the stage equipment. Back then, eight semi trailers of kit was considered outrageous. Most bands were performing on stages the size of verandas !

Is the KISS pinny really the ultimate KISS collectable? I am just interested to know how it attained such status. I dunno, sometimes you just want to know the why of things.
  :D

I'd say it would be these days. Realistically, it is easier to buy a KISS pin if you have money, because it is accessible. Although stuff like Gene's bass or Ace's Les Paul from 1975 would be much more collectible - it would be difficult to track down. I know a guy who has Paul Stanley's tour guitar he used in 1979. He regularly gets calls from the USA from collectors offering obscene amounts of dollars.

yeh i dont get it - is an average game to play and not liking the band one bit - i can barely look at this machine - even the colour scheme irritates me....id keep my Bally LOST WORLD over a KISS any day (unless i was reselling of course!  #@# #@#)

Every time I meet people at social functions - I get introduced as a "Pinball Guy". The next question usually is " Have you got a KISS Pinball ". I've NEVER been asked for a CFTBL, ST TNG or Mermaid. These days, I get asked if I have a KISS... daylight .. Playboy, Addams Family, Eight Ball, Star Trek, Fathom, Wizard and Fireball - something like that.

Bottom line - It is not the Pinball Machine - it is a crap title to play !! It is all about the KISS fan !

« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 07:18:22 PM by Strangeways »
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 07:14:53 PM »
I tend to agree with you there Nino...

As yet I'm not being introducted as the 'pinball guy' but its usually a good conversation starter and most people (non collectors) - aged 30 to 50 the first thing they say is oh I remember playing a Kiss pinball...It seems to be what they associate pinball to be.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 08:58:40 PM »
i saw a KISS pin in brisbane recently, in original excellent condition and the seller couldnt give it away. it went for 3 grand.

the crazy prices all get down to supply and demand...there have been quite a few for sale of late....in a year or 3, there may be a dry spell then a potential buyer may panic and pay big bucks for one cause he might think it may be years again before one comes on the market.

now that i have seen a company in the usa offering replacement playfields, the price will go down alot because the supply will soar due to lots of poor condition ones becoming avail to finally get fixed up.

* hard to believe KISS stuff ever outsold beatles and elvis stuff. although i dislike the beatles, and loved KISS in 1978 when i was 8 yrs old.even went and saw the KISS movie. i reckon the pin is worth 5 grand tops, if u like it.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2009, 09:07:08 PM »
i saw a KISS pin in brisbane recently, in original excellent condition and the seller couldnt give it away. it went for 3 grand.

the crazy prices all get down to supply and demand...there have been quite a few for sale of late....in a year or 3, there may be a dry spell then a potential buyer may panic and pay big bucks for one cause he might think it may be years again before one comes on the market.

now that i have seen a company in the usa offering replacement playfields, the price will go down alot because the supply will soar due to lots of poor condition ones becoming avail to finally get fixed up.

* hard to believe KISS stuff ever outsold beatles and elvis stuff. although i dislike the beatles, and loved KISS in 1978 when i was 8 yrs old.even went and saw the KISS movie. i reckon the pin is worth 5 grand tops, if u like it.
OMG - how could anybody dislike the Beatles?  *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.*

Greatest band ever  *%*

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2009, 09:13:29 PM »
Money money, we never saw an ABBA pinny.  :lol

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2009, 09:23:05 PM »
Rollerball bought the "Kiss deal of the century" a while ago - Can't remember the EXACT figure, but it was less than $2000 from memory ?

Most guys that have been around for a while would know that you could get a KISS pinball for $600 in the mid eighties.

So if you look, you will find. But "apples for apples" - we are basically referring to the high prices for "claimed" restorations. I'm sure that if I looked hard enough, I'd find a run down KISS for under $2000.

I have no idea how much the Beatles, Stones or Elvis have sold in merchandising, my point was that KISS pioneered the concept that other bands followed. Bands before KISS THEN started to market their merchandise once they saw the money that could be made. It is quite possible that several bands have outsold KISS. I guess you could check the bands official websites and check out their online stores.

But yes - it is kinda strange when you see the demand for KISS pins against Stern's Elvis for example (and price). Then you look at Stern's Nugent, and Bally Dolly Parton which are at the other end of the market - yet very decent players. Nugent is picking up quite a following.

OMG - how could anybody dislike the Beatles?  *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.*

Greatest band ever  *%*

I'm not a fan either Tony. Simply over rated in my book. Having said that - "No Beatles" = "No KISS" as KISS were influenced by the Lennon/McCartney songwriting team.

Money money, we never saw an ABBA pinny.  :lol

The Backglass could be the Cover of "Abba Arrival" - Now that would be a cool pinball. If you press the "Start" button without Credits, it would sing "Money, money, Money". Abba were so cooool !

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2009, 09:29:46 PM »
Mate - no Beatles and music was screwed - best band ever - end of story

As much as I used to love KISS you can never, ever compare the 2 bands for their music.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 09:31:58 PM by illawarra_steelers »

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2009, 09:29:55 PM »
Nugent is a great player, its classic pinball really. Just a shame mine has a shitty BG. Still its the only pin I will never sell.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2009, 09:46:03 PM »

As much as I used to love KISS you can never, ever compare the 2 bands for their music.

I concur - Their music is incomparable - 100%  &&

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2009, 09:52:56 PM »

Different music, but I would rate ABBA just as good as the Beatles. Both bands had it all, both had an equally huge part in music's evolution. I cant think of another band that could top either of them for that.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2009, 09:58:47 PM »

Different music, but I would rate ABBA just as good as the Beatles. Both bands had it all, both had an equally huge part in music's evolution. I cant think of another band that could top either of them for that.

Cheap Trick, Eagles, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin..

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2009, 10:06:32 PM »

Stones......nope not even they come close to changing music like ABBA or Beatles. Led Zeppelin maybe!

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2009, 10:13:18 PM »

Stones......nope not even they come close to changing music like ABBA or Beatles. Led Zeppelin maybe!

I think ABBA are severely under rated and wrote better music than Beatles and Stones.

Led Zeppelin are more of a "musician's" choice. Out of all the bands mentioned - I'd listen to KISS, Led Zeppelin, ABBA and Cheap Trick

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2009, 10:17:19 PM »
I dont listen to the Beatles, and I cant say why really. Will crank-up the Hi Fi in the shed with Waterloo though.  :lol

Who did you rate as hotter, Agnitha or Frida?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 10:20:27 PM by Extra Ball »

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2009, 10:39:13 PM »
I dont listen to the Beatles, and I cant say why really. Will crank-up the Hi Fi in the shed with Waterloo though.  :lol

Who did you rate as hotter, Agnitha or Frida?

Agnitha - Loved her straight blond hair..