Author Topic: Preserving older backglasses.  (Read 458 times)

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Preserving older backglasses.
« on: September 28, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
Hey all,

I have said this before and forget the reasons against it - but  in reference to preserving / holding down flaking old backglasses - why cant you go and buy a 1.5mm thick sheet of perspex cut to size to butt right up against the surround frame plastic and stick it against the back of the backglass and then tape it to the original glass so that the tape sits against the persepex and the front / sides of the original glass ( not touching the original backing in any way ). You could also cut the score / credit windows out of the perspex before putting in place as well. At 1.5mm I am fairly confident it would still allow the BG to slide into all the channels?

I think someone mentioned the heat from the globes might be a problem before .....but has anyone ever attempted this?
Would the perspex not hold its shape and 'bow' out in the middle?

Theres been some BG threads around lately and I just thought I would put this out there again.
DW Drums rule !

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Re: Preserving older backglasses.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 08:12:15 AM »
My Nugents BG only just squeezes in, but think there is something out with the headbox. Heat issue could be fixed with LEDs, otherwise dunno Wotto maybe try it?

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 08:16:16 AM »
No real reason at all Wotto - heat build up will crack the acrylic over time... it sort of gets white stress lines through it - this in all honesty is of no issue behind a backglass, consider it a little more diffuser

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »
What about putting the sheet of perspex in AND changing the bulbs to 47's Wotto . Great idea though . Anything that's gonna act as a heat barrier between the globes and the artwork has got to be a plus . If the perspex was to eventually crack etc. then at least it's a cheap and easy fix .

Only concern I would have is that you'd want to make sure the perspex sits nice and tight in the headbox . You don't want it to move with vibration etc. and rub on the artwork .

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 06:38:35 PM »
My only concern would be the perspex vibrating with the machine and wearing the backglass paint?

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 09:09:54 PM »
My only concern would be the perspex vibrating with the machine and wearing the backglass paint?

Ditto.

But if anyone is thinking of trying it, I'd suggest getting 1 mm polycarbonate - tough stuff and I think less likely to react to the heat.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”