Author Topic: I LOVED Manly fun pier  (Read 15456 times)

Offline Cardini

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: I LOVED Manly fun pier
« on: October 10, 2009, 01:19:49 PM »
Hi Paul,

great memories, especially so for me as in Jan1985 I worked there for a short time. It was great. first I was on the main rides (Ferris Wheel), then I made the fatal mistake of requesting a move to the arcade. I was to walk around handing out change and to turn off machines not working. I was the last shift on Saturday nights. The general manager/head engineer for all the main rides actually lived under the octopus (you had to see it to believe it - squallard conditions just a blanket and a crappy old mattress on the concrete floor!!!). The whole place had seen much better days.

He doubled as the security guard during the evenings (later in the evening there was a certain bad element that hung around) genuine bloke, he would make the pay up that night and include an amount for a taxi fare home! I would go across to the old Manly Hotel instead.

The front section had the more modern games, mostly videos (uprights) and dedicated games. I remember Black Knight was the main (only!) pinball in that section. I would occasionally sneek a game or two on Gauntlet - I had to have one after that.

The old games, particularly the EMs were all out the back. I remember Volley and Capt Fantastic. The majority were run down and not working.

Only spent a couple of months working there part time whilst on holidays from Uni. I understand there was an auction for all the games around the time that it closed.
Wonderful memories, thank you all for showing off these photos. If you go there today you can only barely make out the way it was.

Andrew