Author Topic: I LOVED Manly fun pier  (Read 15458 times)

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
I LOVED Manly fun pier
« on: October 02, 2009, 08:51:53 PM »
How good was a trip to Manly back in the day....even better when the olds took you to the Pier
Heaps of machines right at the front entrance....and the ghost train that went out the back and felt like you would end up in the water...lol

NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Re: I LOVED Manly fun pier
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 09:33:57 PM »
Hey !

You made me remember a place I had completely forgotten about.
That ghost train went out and over the water - right !@#
DW Drums rule !

Offline bigdaddy

• Forum Posts:
  • WTB: Phantom of the Opera
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 09:41:11 PM »
Imagine the public liability claims from people hitting their head on those shark teeth! Cool pic's of da good old days.
WTB - Phantom of the Opera

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 10:24:28 PM »
Imagine the public liability claims from people hitting their head on those shark teeth! Cool pic's of da good old days.

%.% %.% %.%  Thats the first thing i thought when i seen it lol   %.% %.% %.% %.%

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 11:33:48 PM »
Thanks for the trip down memory lane Paul.

There was somthing about that place and as you mentioned all those pins.

Here are some more from the early 1960s  ^^^

Online pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 12:01:43 AM »
You know, the kids sit at home with the X-box and Wii and have friends on line - boy are they missing out on the fun the atmosphere of those places used to have. We had a little place on the beach called Hi-lite Park - rides, dodge 'ems, mini roller coaster - and the Penny Arcade. I loved that place. If I have a spare $10M I'd rebuild it and retire to run the arcade.. ..
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 12:04:27 AM by pinnies4me »
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 12:11:32 AM »
You had to be careful with your change for the machines as well....If you dropped a coin some spots just had floorboards with gaps....I lost a couple of coins into the water...would have been worth a swim down there I bet
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 01:09:15 AM »
You know, the kids sit at home with the X-box and Wii and have friends on line - boy are they missing out on the fun the atmosphere of those places used to have. We had a little place on the beach called Hi-lite Park - rides, dodge 'ems, mini roller coaster - and the Penny Arcade. I loved that place. If I have a spare $10M I'd rebuild it and retire to run the arcade.. ..

Where was this Nick????   Its very strange it may have been before my time but i have a memory from when i was very young with the penny arcade in geelong???  But mum or dad dont remember it???

Online pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 01:30:54 AM »

Where was this Nick????   Its very strange it may have been before my time but i have a memory from when i was very young with the penny arcade in geelong???  But mum or dad dont remember it???

Sorry for the hijack Paul!

Along the foreshore at Eastern Beach (where its all just grassland now). Opened in the 1950's, closed in 1981.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
  • There's no law against having fun, just yet!
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 07:15:37 AM »
Thanks so much for posting these great photos.

Like Wotto I spent a lot of time here in my younger years and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I really struggle to understand what the fun police found wrong with this type of entertainment.

I dont recall too much bad element around this place in those days.

Also the point about diving for coins was something else. Those kids were amazing with their dives for 5,10 or 20cents.

J.D.    $#$    @@*    !@#    @.@
There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 11:19:39 AM »
Yeah we didnt ever see the bad element around those places..
Oh hang on....that was us...lol..the bad element...no wonder we never saw it..lol
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline FreePlay

• Forum Posts:
  • Lewisham, Sydney
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 01:57:14 PM »
Thanks for the shots Paul as some of my earliest pin memories are from that place

Offline Cardini

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 01:19:49 PM »
Hi Paul,

great memories, especially so for me as in Jan1985 I worked there for a short time. It was great. first I was on the main rides (Ferris Wheel), then I made the fatal mistake of requesting a move to the arcade. I was to walk around handing out change and to turn off machines not working. I was the last shift on Saturday nights. The general manager/head engineer for all the main rides actually lived under the octopus (you had to see it to believe it - squallard conditions just a blanket and a crappy old mattress on the concrete floor!!!). The whole place had seen much better days.

He doubled as the security guard during the evenings (later in the evening there was a certain bad element that hung around) genuine bloke, he would make the pay up that night and include an amount for a taxi fare home! I would go across to the old Manly Hotel instead.

The front section had the more modern games, mostly videos (uprights) and dedicated games. I remember Black Knight was the main (only!) pinball in that section. I would occasionally sneek a game or two on Gauntlet - I had to have one after that.

The old games, particularly the EMs were all out the back. I remember Volley and Capt Fantastic. The majority were run down and not working.

Only spent a couple of months working there part time whilst on holidays from Uni. I understand there was an auction for all the games around the time that it closed.
Wonderful memories, thank you all for showing off these photos. If you go there today you can only barely make out the way it was.

Andrew

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 01:42:46 PM »
great memories, especially so for me as in Jan1985 I worked there for a short time. It was great. first I was on the main rides (Ferris Wheel), then I made the fatal mistake of requesting a move to the arcade.

No - no way mate - I heard you used to fill in for when one of the clowns stopped operating....just walked up and stood in its place .....being the perfect height and all  :lol :lol

Oh I am so mean.........thanks for the insight into that place - sounds a little kooky.

DW Drums rule !

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 04:25:43 PM »
Hey Wotto...

Ive even got some pics of the Clowns back in the day...

See if you can spot Andrew in this pic....

NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ