Author Topic: Addam's Family Recondition !  (Read 6472 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Addam's Family Recondition !
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 05:54:01 PM »
Looks like you won't get much for this one Nino. I notcied broken sling plastics. Offer it to me for just under a K and I'll atke it off your hands  %.%

Seriously how far off before you reckon it'll be for sale?

I will have to source a set of slings - or make the RHS myself. I think it will be finished in a week or two. I still have to do the boards etc..

Looking good Nino. Where abouts in the states do you get Flitz from please?

I bought it from Marcospec in my last order. I've been haggling Mark and Greg to get it in as part of their supplies as it is a fantastic product. I just noticed it is no longer on Marco's site ?

Mark probably bought the company to bring to australia %.%

Offline johnwartjr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 10:12:31 PM »
I get my Flitz here:

http://pinrestore.com/Supplies.html

Pay attention when you're buying it to make sure you're calculating price per oz - there are at least 2 sizes, 7.6 and 4 oz, or something close to 4 oz. I've found it a little cheaper online, but every time I get a source, the price gets raised. Not sure I understand why.

Interesting on the use of windex - that's something I have to try. Curious on how much of a difference the boiling water makes.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 10:19:05 PM »
Can't wait for the finished product. I'm really toying with the thought of a new machine. Been looking for about 3 weeks now.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 10:50:05 PM »
I get my Flitz here:

http://pinrestore.com/Supplies.html

Pay attention when you're buying it to make sure you're calculating price per oz - there are at least 2 sizes, 7.6 and 4 oz, or something close to 4 oz. I've found it a little cheaper online, but every time I get a source, the price gets raised. Not sure I understand why.

Interesting on the use of windex - that's something I have to try. Curious on how much of a difference the boiling water makes.

Thanks for that info, John - I might have to order more and stock up on Flitz !

The boiling water / Windex trick with METAL parts only works a treat. I NEVER wash plastics etc using the described method. Basically - I stumbled across the method when I was doing a filthy pin some time ago. It had the "white mist" of corrosion and some of bolts etc were rusted. I simply emptied the hardware into a bucket, sprayed windex and poured boiling water on it and left it over night. The next day, the water looked more like a cup of Tea with no milk ! It was a copper color. I dried them and then had to soak them in Ranex to remove the rust. Then they went into the tumbler.

The "boiling water and windex" method is one I use all the time now on all hardware to remove all traces of dirt and grime before placing everything into the tumbler.

Windex does not leave smear marks on metal post re graining.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 11:20:20 PM »

Post Tumbling

The best part about tumbling is that all the hard work is done for you. Everything you throw in, comes out looking almost new. Here some of the hardware removed from the tumbler ;

Yes - I tumble plungers. They are metal, and not only will they look good, but less friction (I think) !

Reassembly

This is the BEST part of any restoration - putting it all back together like a Jigsaw puzzle. I'm VERY pleased with the playfield. I have is a quick wax and polish with Meguiars and it buffed up very nice.

I removed the old target backings, as they were falling apart. I installed new ones. The Blue rectangular target is nearly always smashed to bits, so I replaced it withe the re enforced target. All globe sockets were cleaned, and new globes installed. One bumper globe socket was broken, so I replaced it. Posts and ball guides are installed as is the ball trough.

As I reinstall the hardware - I just took some pictures - Rubber Kit and Cliffy installed. All plastics posts were lightly cleaned with Novus 2 and I installed two purple posts next to the flipper as that's the original posts - not the transparent. Plastics were cleaned with Novus 2. All the "dress" screws were buffed.. Here's some pictures right up until this evening ;

Tomorrow I should finish most of the playfield  :D

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 03:42:58 PM »
Looking like new Nino  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 07:36:58 PM »
Looks amazing as always Nino...

1 down...49 to go?!

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 07:42:56 PM »
Great job Nino, but are you sure we're looking at the same playfield. After 50 pinballs you might be able to call yourself an expert. What do ya reckon???
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 10:44:37 PM »
Looking like new Nino  ^^^

Having a great time rebuilding this machine - I enjoy working on TAF !

Looks amazing as always Nino...

1 down...49 to go?!

Yep - and I get excited just thinking about it - But then again - Do I do another DMD or start an SS or EM ? I'm consulting my 5 year old, but he keeps changing his mind.

Great job Nino, but are you sure we're looking at the same playfield. After 50 pinballs you might be able to call yourself an expert. What do ya reckon???

"50 pins" ? Who's counting ? I have NO CLUE how many I've done over time - more than 50 - But I never seem to lose the enthusiasm. Definite addiction.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 11:04:08 AM »
Hmm, well I would expect the Addams will go to a proud new owner soonish (unless your son puts his foot down!)....I reckon an SS would be good!...Perhaps setup a vote thread?

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2009, 01:45:59 PM »
Looks great so far mate  ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2009, 11:28:47 PM »

Progress over the last two nights has been under the playfield ;

All the moving parts such as kickers etc are removed, cleaned, their coil sleeve replaced and then re assembled. Takes time, but it will make the game play like new again. Check the coils to see if the lugs or wires are loose etc

Flipper kits are installed - thats all four flippers. I clean the baseplates etc - as described earlier so you can examine the bushings.

Bookcase Rebuild

First time I've ever seen this in an Addams Family. The bookcase base is usually cracked. Not this one - but the underside is. So the assembly has to be rebuilt with new parts. First the bracket and motor are cleaned of all the great and other rubbish used to keep the parts moving !

Here's the broken base ;

Here's the new base and "bookend"  %.%

You need to remove the opto board. Simply label each wire 1 -5, unsolder and remove the loom. Transfer to the new one, and solder back in. Too easy !

Then just reassemble the motor and Bracket on to the base. Install the other bits and you are done. There is an adhesive strip which is really hard to source. I cleaned mine - and then reversed it - applying double sided tape as a test.

Just need to reinstall into the machine.

Upper Playfield Progress

Just fitted the plastics, flippers etc. Nothing too flash but it looks good !!

:D :D

Offline bwodie

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2009, 04:55:56 PM »
sure is in very nice original condition

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2009, 07:19:42 PM »
Looking super Nino!

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2009, 11:05:37 PM »

Ramp Replacement

I could have repaired the old ramp, but I thought I'd go "all the way" with this TAF - It has just "grown on me" nad I want it to be the best it can be. I'm not really a fan of the "smoked look" - so I bought a new clear ramp - and it should look awesome on this playfield !

So here's a "ramp replacement" update / procedure. Here are the old and the new ;

The new "bare" ramp ;

Now previously, I removed all the ramp protectors etc off the old ramp and washed, tumbled the hardware and regrained the ramp protectors. I ended up polishing the screws on the buffing wheel. All this was done previously. I had to install the new decals and remove the old switch assemblies off the old ramp and clean them with a toothbrush and windex. A scotchbrite and windex was used to regrain the brackets. The wiring loom was removed and cleaned.

Here's a picture of the new ramp so far ;

I soldered in the wiring loom and fixed to the ramp using cable ties. Added more of the hardware and the finished ramp looks like this ;

Took me around 2 hours. Now to install !