Author Topic: Addam's Family Recondition !  (Read 6470 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Addam's Family Recondition !
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2009, 01:01:06 AM »
Making me want an Addams now Nino! Great work as usual.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2009, 09:33:12 AM »
Making me want an Addams now Nino! Great work as usual.

I cannot wait to play this Addams, Nick. My only complaint would be slight magnet damage - very thin lines on the RHS.

The scoops and wireform are currently with Slammer (Angelo) for repair. The assemblies need to be re-welded. Ramp goes in tonight and I'll test the machine before moving on to the boards.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline johnwartjr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2009, 05:19:01 PM »
That clear ramp looks gorgeous. I wanted one for my TAF, but the original cleaned up so nicely, I decided to use it for awhile.

I told myself when I got a repro PF, I'd get a clear ramp. No repro PF yet, so no clear ramp. When I run a couple games to Expo in Chicago on Saturday, perhaps I'll grab a clear ramp :)

You sure do like your windex, I'm gonna grab a bottle this weekend while shopping and see what I can use it for! I tumbled some stuff earlier, but it was just a handful of pieces to finish a game out, so I didn't try the boil thing yet.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2009, 06:11:29 PM »
That clear ramp looks gorgeous. I wanted one for my TAF, but the original cleaned up so nicely, I decided to use it for awhile.

I told myself when I got a repro PF, I'd get a clear ramp. No repro PF yet, so no clear ramp. When I run a couple games to Expo in Chicago on Saturday, perhaps I'll grab a clear ramp :)

You sure do like your windex, I'm gonna grab a bottle this weekend while shopping and see what I can use it for! I tumbled some stuff earlier, but it was just a handful of pieces to finish a game out, so I didn't try the boil thing yet.

John - make sure it is the "real" Windex - not the cheap crap. I tried the cheap stuff and it left streaks on the ball guides !

No comparison - The clear ramp is so much better than the smoked - I installed a smoked ramp once - but now I have a clear ramp - I'll stick with that !

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2009, 10:43:02 PM »

Moving along nicely. Just a bit of "mucking around" tonight. I really wanted to get the ramp installed and the new door. Nothing too difficult !

Just about everything is done on the underside of the playfield. All the moving parts have been stripped cleaned etc - all coin sleeves replaced. Plastic ramp is cleaned - ever wonder why your white rubbers get dirty after a couple of games ? The clear ramp and "Thing's Box" are always full of dirt.

The Ramp installation !

Took 5 minutes - and the game simply shines now - Looks a hell of a lot better than the standard ramp.

Front Door

Not sure what all the fuss is about - Took 5 minutes to install this door - fit straight into this machine - hardest part was unscrewing the screw and strapping the groundwire  !@#

Too easy - and it looks HEAPS better than the old one !

Tomorrow I'll work on the cabinet and start the boards as my BRs just arrived today  &&

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2009, 10:55:36 PM »
Nice looking TAF Nino !!

Some people have big HEADS !

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2009, 07:53:55 AM »
Very very clean.  Looking forward to the photos of the board work too.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2009, 11:13:04 AM »
Looking good Nino you really do a fantastic job.  Considering this game isnt a keeper i cant wait to see what you do to your Fathom and the other games for your collection  ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2009, 11:18:07 AM »
Very very clean.  Looking forward to the photos of the board work too.

Starting the boards at some stage this weekend, Marty

Looking good Nino you really do a fantastic job.  Considering this game isnt a keeper i cant wait to see what you do to your Fathom and the other games for your collection  ^^^

Daniel - All the machines - from Star Pool to KISS will be done to my standards. It is not work for me - I just enjoy myself as I move through the titles. Same thing as you do !

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2009, 11:20:31 AM »
Great job Nino  ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2009, 12:27:58 PM »

Did some more work on the weekend. I cleaned the legs with Windex and "000" steelwool. It cleaned up the little specs of rust that appeared all over the legs - like pimples ! I then used Brasso to polish. Really good results. I then installed leg protectors and new bolts. In the pic below, The leg on the left is cleaned, the other is not.

The backlight board was filthy. I dampened rag with Nifti took care of that !

Cleaning the Translite

Now this is the method I use to clean translites - and a word of caution - NEVER EVER - Spray any clearer directly on a translite. NEVER EVER. What I do is simply and takes no longer that 10 minutes.

Here is the translite - Front and rear ;

Remove the trim. Setup an flat area with a towel or something similar. Clean the glass with windex and a rag. Polish with a towel. Put it aside.

Clean the trim with Nifti. After cleaning, give it a nice finish with novus 2 and a clean rag. Put it aside.

Grab a CLEAN rag and submerge it in a bucket of clean water. Wring the rag and then gently wash the rear (white area) of the translite. It should remove only a small amount of filth. This is fine. Spray the water saturated rag with Windex two or three times. Disperse the windex by rubbing the rag onto itself. Now GENTLY apply the rag to the wet translite - You should get almost ALL the filth lifting. Do not leave the rag in one place - keep it moving and rinse it every minute or so.. Keep applying the Windex to the rag. OBSERVE that you are not lifting any white backing when rinsing - this would indicate that you have used too much windex, or you are cleaning the translite too aggressively. Keep rising with water. When done - rinse with clean water - don't use the water you used to rinse the rag !

Do the same for the front of the translite - except you won't need to observe the removal of the backing obviously !

When both sides are done - rinse with water and dry GENTLY with a towel.

Re assemble the glass and trim. It should look like this ;

Does not take long at all !

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2009, 01:26:48 PM »

WPC Driver Board Upgrades

These are mandatory upgrades that SHOULD be done to any WPC machines. It is a relatively simple job if you have the correct tools. I do this to EVERY machine that needs to be worked on. Why do we need to do this upgrade ? Mainly because of the infamous "reset" on WPC machines - more to do with the combination of BR2 and C5 - the +5V. If this voltage fluctuates, so does the reliability of the game. Most of this procedure is covered in Clay's guides, but with my "guide" I have provided progress pictures. I replace all the Bridge Rectifiers and Capacitors.

The parts you need are simply ;

Bridge Rectifier - 400V 35A Wire legs, or 600V 35A Wire Legs
Capacitor - 15,000 mfd 25 Volt

Both are available from our Sponsors.

Before we start

Removing the Driver board involves one key process - LABEL all connectors to the board - Either place a tag on the cable, or write directly on the connector. This will make it a lot easier to install when done ! Take note of the connectors - do any of them look burnt or hacked ? Check the bottom left hand corner - J120 and J121 - These are GI connectors and are almost ALWAYS toasted. This particular board is in excellent condition, so this is what you want to see ! The reason you need to take note is because you will have to replace the connectors, and it is easy to do that while the board is out to do the upgrades.

Here's the GI connectors - Not a good example of what to look for as this board is very good !

This is the Driver board once removed from the game !

The main culprits - BR1, BR2, BR3, BR4, C11 and C5.

BR5 and C30

These 5 capacitors and 5 Bridge Rectifiers will be removed and replaced. I USED to use a standard soldering station and solder "sucker" - But this time around, I will be using my Desoldering station.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2009, 03:06:29 PM »
Great work Nino I can't wait for each installment @@* She's going to end up an awesome looking machine. I did the same cleaning process on my Twister Translite and I couldn't believe the muck that came off.

Peter

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2009, 04:00:12 PM »
About how much water are you using, and how much windex to water?

Just spraying the stuff down lightly, soaking it, or ?

I'm going to get a jug of windex tomorrow at the warehouse club, and need a big ole pot for the water, just gotta get one big enough :)

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2009, 04:30:51 PM »
About how much water are you using, and how much windex to water?

Just spraying the stuff down lightly, soaking it, or ?

I'm going to get a jug of windex tomorrow at the warehouse club, and need a big ole pot for the water, just gotta get one big enough :)

I'm not diluting the Windex in the water, John. What I do is completely submerge the rag in the clean water, then squeeze the water out of the rag so that it is damp. I then spray the windex onto the dampened rag - maybe 2-3 squirts. Then apply the rag to the translite and observe that there is no white backing being removed. sometimes, it cannot be helped - you just have to be observant. The translite is never dipped into the bucket at any stage. It is always on a flat surface with a towel under it.

The dampened rag and a couple of sprays is all you really need. You may have to repeat a couple of times.