Author Topic: EM vs SS for repairs  (Read 2831 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: EM vs SS for repairs
« on: November 25, 2008, 09:28:26 PM »
Im quite into playing DMD's now. Ive only fixed a few over the years and because of their unfamiliarity, i tend to get blinded when i first look at all the circuitry. But once i take a deep breath and break it all down into sections, im ready to dive in.

SS machines can be easy to fix or downright irritating. The years have taken their toll on some of these and it often feels like you are chasing your tail, fix one thing and another goes down etc. I dread the day when DMD's are this old. I LOVE a good working SS game, out of all of them, id rather work on a WMS machine than any others - just personal preference.

EM games - well, these always bring a smile to my face, so long as everything is in place i KNOW it CAN be fixed, can work on them live etc - nothing to blow on these except the odd coil, but if it locks on then turn game off straight away.
Ive been working on a 1948 Genco Triple Action over the weekend - no schematic or manual ever produced - so im on my own here. Ill post later when shes finally running, but working on this machine has been a real joy. Ive really enjoyed trying to work out what triggers what etc - nothing labelled either. Ive taken this one to my heart, fixing it is a true pleasure.

But.... Will it be 100% solid when done?? - Nope, but is any machine??? What i do know is that i did have it working once and so it can be done again with a little logical thought, some flat nosed pliers and some meths. I may not get her fixed straight away, but i do know that im not looking for faulty chips, noise suppressing caps, resistors out of speck etc.

So my favourite to fix is EM - but ask me again when im tearing my hair out fixing one and you may get a different answer!