Author Topic: Creature Prototype Restoration  (Read 7110 times)

Offline johnwartjr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
Re: Creature Prototype Restoration
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2009, 06:06:43 PM »
So, I got back to Mr. Creature tonight.

#*#

Made some decent progress tonight. Wife went to see a long movie, and the kids were asleep, so I had nothing else to do. Turned on the workshop TV, watched some Monk, and worked.

Coin door is finished

Front before

Front after

Back before

Back after:

Next, I moved onto the power box. It had many issues that needed corrected

Before pics:

Export power box, no convenience outlet, dirty

Back side. Note rust in the box where the power cord plugs in

Top white wire is in the wrong spot, too. Need to move it one slot to the left to wire it properly for US operation

Stripped box shell

After a thorough cleaning, I decided to polish the box a bit

Fast forward to the finished product

I'll make up some repro decals with serial numbers, labels, etc to dress the box up a bit.

And the jumpering plug is fixed

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2009, 04:39:15 PM »
Dug into the last part of the power delivery system tonight - the box that mounts at the rear of the cab that the power cord plugs into, and then the 3 wires run from this box to the main power box.

It's an interesting challenge. First off, it's rusty in some hard to reach places. Specifically, the innermost bends of the box. I've done some paint removal on the outside, and even the easily accessed parts on the inside with scotch brite - but the rust is in places that are very difficult to reach with the pad. Hard to bend the material to contact all surfaces, and even if you can make it contact all surfaces, it's difficult to apply pressure.

If I had a media blasting rig, it would surely be easier.

My choices right now are pretty straightfoward, either I find a way to clean this guy up, then repaint him, or I put a nice used one from my parts supply in. I've got a nice used one sitting on the bench, could be clean and good as new in a matter of 15 minutes. However, it's the same steel as the power box, not painted black. I'm not sure how a guy could paint the box black and have it look decent, at least on the inside, as it's not flat. It would be like painting the inside of a box, and trying to get a nice even finish with no globbing up etc.

So, I am going to sleep on it. No pics tonight. I start my job tomorrow, having been let go 17 weeks ago. Time to go to bed at a decent hour, for once.

It's been hard to find a job!

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2009, 05:48:12 PM »
Best of luck with your new job!

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2009, 06:01:51 PM »
Best of luck with your new job!

Ditto !
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2009, 06:03:51 PM »
Good luck with the new job its a shame you cant show prospective employers your pinball restore they would hire you for sure i know i would  ^^^

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2009, 12:03:08 PM »
Had a little time today, so decided to find something I could dig into

Decided to replace the old, nasty, tattered ground braid

Braided the cabinet out. Took about an hour to rip the old braid out, set the regulator on the compressor, and re-braid. I learned a few things (first braid job) and have some ideas to improve the process next time!

Also installed the power box, the cab vents, an upgraded set of leg bolt plates, etc.

More to come later. Need to repaint the carriage bolts so I can finish installing cabinet hardware!

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2009, 04:58:02 PM »
I populated the cabinet some more, and even broke out the 'good' camera!

If you want a chance to see big pics, start here

http://gallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/proto_cftbl_progress/DSC_2313

Gorgeous cab

Mocked up with coin door

Bottom T-Nutted

Some parts mounted up, nice shot of the new braid

If you looked at the last post, I rerouted a bit of the braid back to the original locations so I don't have to repaint part of the inside again :) It is now taking the original path

And, the carriage bolts get a first coat of paint. 2nd in the AM, then I'll start to reassemble the cabinet sometime tomorrow.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2009, 05:10:37 PM »
Looking sweeeet  *%*

Offline Supremicus

• Forum Posts:
  • Emerald, QLD
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2009, 06:45:15 PM »
mmmmm purdy

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2009, 07:29:22 PM »
Very nice John.  Any tips for seaming the decal edges?!  This seems to be a bit of a mystery.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2009, 08:53:06 PM »

Very nice, John  ^^^

How was your first day at work ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2009, 10:56:23 PM »
First day of work, along with 2nd day were interesting. I've not had any work to do yet due to paperwork and other problems. I'm earning a paycheck, which is the important thing to me. Once I actually *get* working, they will work me 6 and 7 day weeks, so I'm not worried about them getting their value out of me.

I went back to work with an old employer that was bought by another company. They just finished integrating their human resources systems together, so I am the first hire under the 'new' system, which has had a few growing pains apparently.

The job has pros and cons, like any job. The biggest pro is the fact that I work from home. The biggest con is seemingly endless paperwork and red tape sometimes.

I work in IT, and basically, company policy dictates they can't create my network account until I have an employee #. They had to re-write my welcome letter, and it wasn't done til 30 minutes after close of business Monday. So, at that point, they requested my network account.

The guy who 'builds' my laptop can't finish it til he has my credentials, because all the software for the VPN has to be installed and customized, along with my e-mail, etc. Then, they have to ship the whole works to me.

Yesterday afternoon, the laptop arrived in Michigan, and the guy could configure it, *if* he had my network logon information, which isn't available yet. It's expected today. Once he's done, they will ship it to me and it takes a couple days to arrive. So, if it gets done today, I should have it on Friday. If there's a delay, it'd be Monday at the earliest - and next Thursday is Thanksgiving and next Friday is a paid holiday - so I imagine it'll really be more than another week til I'm fully in the swing of things.

So, I've mentioned cons, but the pro for me has to be that I can spend my lunch hour everyday working on whatever project I'm working on. When I worked in an office, if I'd drive home for work, I'd spend 15-20 minutes driving home, eat, then have to turn around and go back to work.

I did go for a drive for work yesterday, though. I had to drive to Indianapolis (about an hour on the road each way) so someone who worked in a company office could verify the sources for my I-9 form - the one that says I'm allowed to work in the US. They had to actually see my drivers license and birth certificate in person. But, since I had nothing else to do, not a big deal.

Regarding the seaming of decals - I've yet to do my first decal job! I hired out both my Creatures. And frankly, while the guys who did them both did good jobs, I found a few things where I told myself that I would like to do them differently - so I don't think I'm going to hire anymore out. I'll have some work to do to this one, there are some spots that need attention. One is a scuff on the decal by the left front leg. Luckily, it's all in the black. That shouldn't be too bad to touch up. Another area is also all black and will be hidden by the backbox hinges when the backbox is folded up (in playing position), so the only time you'd have a chance to see it is in transport or storage.

I've done a ton of research in cabinet restoration, and the thing that seems to prove true regardless of who you ask - the prep work is the most important. Doesn't matter if you use the wet method or the dry method, the prep work is still most important. Fixing all the nicks, filling dings, scratches, divots etc. Making that nice smooth surface so imperfections don't show through the decal.

I'm worried about potentially damaging a $200-300 set of stickers, but I have to remember that I'm paying more for the labor than the stickers. If I were to unfortunately damage one side of the game, I could buy another set and still be money ahead versus hiring someone. I was terrified to do my own board work for awhile, and now do it - and I had to learn that and mess up a few boards in the process.

You do, after all, have to break a few eggs to make a cake.

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2009, 06:04:55 PM »
So, a little more progress was made on Day #20

Link to big pics, if you are so inclined.. album now has 323 pics...

http://gallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/proto_cftbl_progress/DSC_2332

Sent a reproduction of the cabinet info sheet with lamp and switch matrix over to the local print shop and had them run me off a couple on legal sized paper with lamination. This is always a nice touch - more for looks than anything, as once installed, it's not very useful :)

Installed the chart

Upgraded the slide hardware to the 'later' style, which works a lot better

Installed the coin door and lockdown receiver

Next steps are to rebuild the projector and install it, find a replacement cabinet speaker (got to check the parts bin... or upgrade) and rebuild and install the mirror assy. Also need to finish up the refurb of the transformer, which is going to be time-consuming.

Once that is done, I'll start on the head.

Offline Supremicus

• Forum Posts:
  • Emerald, QLD
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2009, 11:50:19 AM »
John, regarding the playfield slides you don't happen to know what the part no for the spring is by chance do you ?

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2009, 02:06:56 PM »
10-439 is the part number