Author Topic: Driving cabinet finally in my arcade space  (Read 338 times)

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Driving cabinet finally in my arcade space
« on: October 08, 2009, 07:26:56 PM »
Gday all.

I decided about 18 months ago I wanted to an arcade style driving cabinet and while thinking about a design was surfing the net when I came across plans that some American guy had fortunately taken the time to post.
His design was pretty similar to what I had in mind at the time, so my cabinet is based on his plans. The plans called for it to be 6 feet long, but that is a bit too big for the space I have so mine is a little over 5 feet.
I was fortunate to score a Logitech Momo forcefeedback wheel and pedal set from my brother (broken, but I rewired it and fixed it) along with a motherboard, and surround sound system , so I only had to buy a graphics card.

Seeing I’d scored most of the hardware for nothing I decided the goal was to build the cabinet as cheaply as possible (also leaving more $$ for my pinball addiction  &&)

This meant scoring the timber .
I patiently collected suitable pallets from work over time and a few weeks ago we had a big cleanup and they were throwing out dogbox partitions so I grabbed a bunch of those (10mm MDF sheets).
So, this cabinet is made from a combo of pallet timber and dogbox partitions.
Unfortunately the partions weren’t large enough so I’ve had to glue and screw them together with brackets (which has complicated the construction).

It also has a pinball connection .. the floor has helped carry home almost all the pins I currently own and the start button will be from a pinnie.  ()

Anyway, here’s a few pics of where its at now , bit hard to get good ones cause its towards the back of my garage . I’ve been working on it in my spare time over the past couple of weeks and its taken a lot longer than I thought it would , but doesn’t help that I haven’t built much stuff before.
It’s a great feeling to finally be getting it done (yes it does have a bit of a drunken lean at the moment ).  %.%

Will post more pics when its finished .

Cheers
Dave
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 12:10:17 AM by goodolddays »
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: My driving cabinet project
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 07:56:52 PM »
Feeling a little claustrophobic looking at that - maybe perspective is off? Can we have a photo with someone inside??

Does look cool though - I love driving games!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 09:16:22 PM »
Feeling a little claustrophobic looking at that - maybe perspective is off? Can we have a photo with someone inside??

Its just the camera angle .. will post a pic of me in it when its finished :D

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 10:38:36 PM »
Good on you Dave you clever bugger.

Took note of the beer in the last shot, that is all the inspiration needed  ^^^

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Re: Vintage Home Brew and My driving cabinet project
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 11:44:07 AM »
Was moving all my empty beer bottles out of my Aracde space to back garage last night, to make room to move my driving cab into its new home this weekend . Found about a dozen full bottles from a batch of home brew I bottled 7/12/08 and about another 10 from a batch I bottled 23/1/09 so have put a bottle from each in the fridge and will try em this arvo  %.%
Was surprised to find I had any left .. must make more ASAP .. 

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Re: Vintage Home Brew and My driving cabinet project
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 01:09:57 PM »
The Dec bottle of hone brew was no good but the Jan bottle was fine . Will be moving the cab into my arcade space this weekend so will post some pics when that happens

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Re: Driving cabinet finally in my arcade space
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 12:17:37 AM »
Almost a month to the day since I started building it , I finally moved my Driving Cab into my arcade space this arvo.
Here are a couple of progress pics . The yellow stripe will eventually be yellow and red pin stripes to blend in with Firepower which will be sitting next to it, instead of Spanish Eyes (which will move to my "EM wall')
I am lining the inside with the red fabric that was on the office partitions (see 3rd pic) .

Will post more pics when its finished

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Re: Driving cabinet finally in my arcade space
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 03:20:57 PM »
Here's a few more pics , still need to bolt the seat in, glue the carpet down and tidy up the cables, but couldn't resist setting it up to try it out

(the inside is actually a dark red cloth, the camera flash makes it look pinkish )