Author Topic: macquarie cemetry tour  (Read 228 times)

Offline bossninja17

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • sydney
macquarie cemetry tour
« on: October 31, 2009, 10:47:12 PM »
I took Mrs Bossninja on the tour of Macquarie Cemetry and Crematorium (formerly called Northern Suburbs Cemetry) last night. Sounds morbid but was fascinating. The cemetry runs lantern tours (you get a kero lamp) and the tour is led by Thomas, dressed as a 18th century funeral director.
He took us to the graves of WM Hughes (Australian prime minister during WW1), John Kerr, Ward "Pally" Austin, Johnny O'Keefe, Graham Thorne (Australia's  kidnap victim in 1960s after parents won the lottery) plus others. Saw behind the scenes on the crematorium.  As I said, fascinating and would recommend it ($20 with supper at the end).
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: macquarie cemetry tour
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 10:54:31 PM »

This is the sort of tour I would enjoy. It would be spooky (I love a good scare), and also interesting to learn the history and resting places of famous and influential people. I have walked up and down the isles during the day, but at night - it would be a different experience all together. I find it very interesting to read epitaphs. To describe one's life in a few sentences is intriguing.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: macquarie cemetry tour
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 09:23:16 AM »
"We're going home in a back of a Divvy Van"
Me and a mate who lived in Carlton 20 years ago decided we should have our own tour of the Cemetery late one night. So we grabbed a six-pack each and jumped the fence. Read some gravestones, found a nice rotunda and sat down to finish our drinks and talk about Life, the Universe and Everything.

Then from all five road directions came headlights at speed - several private security dudes and two police cars. We explained ourselves as best we could, only to be shown the back of the Van and what we thought was going to be a hard time explaining to our girlfriends (who'd we'd left behind without explaining exactly where the "walk" we were taking was going to be). No fun those hard plastic benches you sit on - every bump - ouch!

You can't see out of these things, so when they stopped we expected to see the station and our accomodation for the night, but the dudes opened her up and told us "No more graveyard walks please guys" - and we saw we were outside his place.

Nothing like the Boys in Blue Taxi Service.. ..
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”