Author Topic: eBay - Friend or Foe?  (Read 681 times)

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
eBay - Friend or Foe?
« on: November 12, 2009, 08:32:25 PM »
I don't know about you guys but I am pretty much sick to death of eBay.  I know I am a tight arse but the chances of winning a machine these days for a reasonable price are about nil.  It seems alot of people now have an unrealistic idea of what their machine is worth - just cause they see a nice machine and good title sell for big bucks they think theirs must also be worth the same.

I don't know if it is just me but the prices of machines haven't seemed to come down at all like they did recently when there was alot of containers coming in, seems to be a sellers market at present.  eBay shits me though.

E.G. 1  http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200405021155&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

This Bally Black Jack looked like it may be worth a shot, another project and a different machine to learn some more about repairs and restos.  2 displays are shot, R/H side of the cabinet is a mess, the rest looks like it could come up nice.  I rang the guy up, asked if he was interested in selling it prior to the auction ending and what he'd take for it.  He had to check with his Dad and yeah, he was willing to sell it........wait for it..........$2000.   !!@  I know the guy was probably just trying his luck but Fark me.

E.G 2  http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Bally-Midway-Fireball-Classic-1984-Pinball-Machine_W0QQitemZ190348552619QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_15?hash=item2c51a869ab

Third time this machine has been listed, 1st time was over $2k, 2nd time started at $1785 - no bids again, 3rd time $1800.  Apparently not a bad machine but needs a flipper kit, boards re-built and a damn good clean.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: eBay - Friend or Foe?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 08:59:09 PM »
I was a silver and gold eBay powerseller for several years and I have not even LOOKED at the site for the last 6/12 months!

The constant changing of rules and then the forced use of PayPus (the greatest con the world has ever seen) did me in.

They have lost me for good!
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 09:07:47 PM »
Ebay suck the big one id rather just pay extra and be done with it

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 09:08:31 PM »
eBay is a bit hit and miss - there have been some very reasonable buys on there from people like MarkC where the machines have not reached any great heights; then there are other machines that are overpriced or the bidding has been too hot.

It depends on whether someone who is thinking "I must have a pinball machine whatever the cost" jumps on at the wrong time for you or not.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 09:19:29 PM »
Whilst I loathe and condemn the way they do business I have done really well on ebay with buying and selling machines. Having said that, b4 ebay you buy good machines for 500 in saturdays paper. The internet was allways gunna change the way we do business, and we make ebay what it is by continuing to use it.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 09:20:42 PM »
Just saw Mark C's Earthshaker go for $1427 or something like that....I may have spoken to soon.  Seems to be a pretty good price for the buyer........should have bid   &^&
Addicted to pins.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 09:22:57 PM »
Whilst I loathe and condemn the way they do business I have done really well on ebay with buying and selling machines. Having said that, b4 ebay you buy good machines for 500 in saturdays paper. The internet was allways gunna change the way we do business, and we make ebay what it is by continuing to use it.

Apart from thse forums but, where else are machines regularly listed for sale anymore?  That's the biggest problem, nearly everyone uses eBay now.  Don't get me wrong, I've had a few wins on eBay as well but not very many.
Addicted to pins.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 09:25:06 PM »
Just saw Mark C's Earthshaker go for $1427 or something like that....I may have spoken to soon.  Seems to be a pretty good price for the buyer........should have bid   &^&

Yeah, see what I mean!

Offline pinball-collector

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 09:28:35 PM »
yeah,,l sell commodore parts,,,, the fees are getting higher and higher,,paypal sucks big time,, but you paid quick.,,its only going to get worse,,trading post was good , along time ago,untill they introduced lots of large adds,,then they mixed up all the columns,,and the price, went up,,l stopped buying that,,years ago..

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 10:56:32 PM »

eBay can be a frustrating place to buy and sell pins. You can see title "A" go for "big bucks", and suddenly a flood of title "A"s hit eBay for half the price. Right now - it will be all over the place, as we get close to Christmas. It will be in the "seller's" cycle. August is a seller's market also, as workers get their tax return.

If you REALLY want that machine - then be prepared to pay extra this time of year. Patience will land you a good deal. There was a "Stellar Wars" that was BIN $250 around this time last year - so anything can happen - and usually does.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 11:19:35 PM »
Might blow for games - but for tough to find (vintage) parts it rocks  ^^^

Have bought many cool vintage parts (nearly all N.O.S.) from US eBay, wouldn't of had a chance picking them up without it.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 12:11:48 AM »
Id say it was a buyers market right now - the few people i know that list pins regularly agree that there is a definate price drop,
my SPECTRUM sold for a paultry $1550 - should have been $2500+ minimum.
Recent GORGAR by Pinball Shed was a steal.
Ive always found Ebay an expensive way to source pins, but right now, id say its not too bad if its in your neighbourhood.
Im about to list a couple more machines - normally id expect XXX$ on these, but to tell the truth, right now,  i have no idea if they will sell at all and if they do, i bet my arse it will be for far less than id expect

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 01:02:49 AM »
I bought the following machines off ebay and did real well.All were excellent condition and great prices, some auction, some buy it now with offsite deals/negotiations. And i made some excellent contacts who have become good friends.

Star Trek Next Gen
Frankenstein
Bugs Bunny's x 2
Twister
Starship Troopers
Independence Day
Popeye
Last Action Hero
Fishtales
But all sellers had to provide detailed photos, before i would bid/buy.

And I met 3 or 4 serious collectors/Importers who I have since done more business with and I would say it was all thanks to Ebay.
Ebay is a great place to meet excellent pin contacts.But yes, the fees and paypal need some work for sure.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline deadlydave

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 01:46:59 AM »
I recieved a new visa card from bank, so then updated my details on paypal, who then promptly charged me a dollar for my effort.......
Its only a buck, but bloody pisses me off, the greedy pricks are milking both buyer and seller.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 03:24:14 AM »
Nobody is forcing any one to bid
If the start price is too high, then it will not sell

If you miss out on a sale, do not worry, there will be another game avaliable one day