Author Topic: BOOT into 'audit mode'  (Read 643 times)

Offline braddo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
BOOT into 'audit mode'
« on: November 16, 2009, 05:40:12 PM »
OK this is carrying over from a similar question, cause my advance button behind the coin door won't respond, so i can't get into audit mode for settings (I think its got to do with the pins/plugs on the driver board, my brother tells me yesterday he was playing around in there, so i'm sure thats where the problem is coming from, which is cool cause he's going to rebuild the whole thing for me ^^^). This machine resets a bit too, so again i reckon the pins/plugs/connectors are too old. (sorry if my terminology is wrong).

Anyway, ddstoys mentioned something about booting into audit mode from a button on the board. I can see two buttons, pushed them and some lights on the board respond, but no audit mode. Can anyone describe to me exactly how i do this? It's a Williams Flash. I'm guessing most williams of this era would be the same.
WTB (or possibly trade) - 1980 Stern ALI

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: BOOT into 'audit mode'
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 05:55:15 PM »
On the world cup when i pushed the button on the Cpu (bottom button i think) The displays went blank then i was able to use the buttons in the front.

But id try removing the connectors and putting them back on to see if this fixes the problem?

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 05:58:24 PM »
The plug for the front door switches is plug 1j4 it up the top and has 4 wires with no key slot  ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 06:09:43 PM »

The machine will boot into audit mode if the batteries are removed. In fact - this is the indicator that the batteries are flat !

You will lose ALL settings if you do this.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 06:27:12 PM »
Thanks guys.

ddstoys we reconnected the plugs pushed the buttons with displays off etc. yesterday, and no-go.

Strangeways, the battery in the Flash is a lithium one, about the size of a ten cent piece, is it cool to remove this (i'm asking cause my brother works on commercial appliances with these and hes wants to be on the safe side). My Gorgar has a new battery holder with AA batts, no probs, but just asking about the lithium battery.

Thanks again to both you guys.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 06:36:45 PM »
Removing the Litium battery will not do any harm to the game it will only loose all the settings and return to factory.  Your best bet is to add a remote battery pack to keep the nasty batteries away from the boards

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 08:28:13 PM »
OK cheers. Pulled out the battery, goes in audit mode but the advance button does not work in any circumstance. I can still play the thing at least but flippers are lousy and the settings aren't great, (also set with no background sound) which is a bummer, you would not think it makes that much difference. ^&^

First things first i'm going to repair the 40pin interconnect, rebuild flippers, then just generally go over the whole bloody thing and check whatever has to be checked. Thanks ddstoys for the message i'll check it out tonight. I have to be honest learning to fix these things is just as much fun as playing them. :D

Cheers.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:34:07 PM by braddo »

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 03:47:23 PM »
Alright re-soldered the interconnect (it already had the new square pins installed), and the machine has not reset since $#$.
Also, found a loose wire/pin on one of the connectors which caused the problem with the advance button, so that now works.
I'll rebuild the flippers and all should be sweet with the machine. Thanks Strangeways and ddtoys for the help.

I found a great website which has detailed info and pictures on how to repair all Williams machines from '77 to '83 so i'm pretty happy right now. ^^^

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 04:10:03 PM »
Another great website to help with most pinballs is  http://www.marvin3m.com/fix.htm