Author Topic: ST TNG 2nd opinion  (Read 510 times)

Offline pinmadd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
ST TNG 2nd opinion
« on: November 20, 2009, 06:32:00 AM »
Hi all,
Just wondering what the general opinion is on this pin,look's like a great pin to me but high maintance??

Thanks in advance

Mike
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 05:27:10 PM by pinmadd »

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Re: STNGG 2nd opinion
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 07:43:57 AM »
What I have gleaned on this machine - it tends to polarise people a bit; some love it and some don't. It obviously helps if you are a Trek fan.

In terms of maintenance the cannons are the big thing to look out for. They are key to the game but can be the centre of a lot of issues apparently.

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 08:09:25 AM »
I reckon its an awesome game, and i'm not at all a fan of Star Trek.  It is a game that is a lot of fun for newbies to have a quick bash one (mainly due to the rotating cannons that they like) and i reckon the level of difficulty is about right to have a good game.  I've managed to get to the final frontier 5 or 6 times, but also love the challenge of trying to get the highest score in each of the missions.

As for maintenance, the only 2 problems i've had were a blown LM223 (i think) IC on the 10 opto board and also a blown resistor on the opto board.  It was a challenge to find that one as there are a heap of optos under the playfield in the subways that are not that easy to access to test.

For me, just because a machine has some extra moving parts which are sources of potential problems would not be a reason to avoid purchasing it - and i am far from an expert, but do enjoy poking my head in a machine and finding out what makes it work (or not work...)  If someone got nervous about opening a machine to replace a bulb, it may be a different story.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 08:47:21 AM »
I am a huge Star Trek fan, so I really want to like the pin. For me this pin sux, not fun, it doesnt grab my attention, and leaves me very disapointed. Dont buy one before having a few games.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 09:52:09 AM »

From a playability point of view - this machine is just horrible. I don't like the game much at all. But some say the ruleset is VERY DEEP, and most owners keep their machines, as they are quite difficult. If you want a challenging machine - this is it.

Things to watch out for - I'd say from an Engineering point of view - it is well designed - there's A LOT going on under the bonnet and they are HARD to maintain if they are not reconditioned properly. The cannons are the main problematic aspect of the game. The wire looms wear out over time and give you all sorts of problems. You can have them replaced with a "kit" and just solder them in, or have the looms replaced (wire by wire). The AUX Driver boards (RHS in the head) nearly always have repairs done to them due to a design issue with the Diverter coils and the drop target release coil. You can jump a wire from the drop target to the AUX Driver board. This is covered in Clay's guide.

Ramps - there are three and you will most likely need to replace at least one ramp - or invest in protectors.

Overall - a working and reconditioned ST TNG is a challenging and difficult pin - so it would have lastability in a games room. When they do have issues, they are a bastard to fix.

But there are planty of happy owners who swear by their ST TNG !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 10:06:46 AM »
I have 2 x Star Trek Next Gens and i will keep both to the day i fall off the planet.

STNG is a great looking game and extremely fun to play.The audio is great and the playfield lights are excellent.
The widebody of STNG shows the engineering excellence of Williams.The missions are many and the different ramp shots, 3 flippers, and the various targets and sink holes make the game both fun and challenging.Parts are easily avail including cliffys etc etc.

Maintainence is straight forward if u have a manual.Good Pinball techs know these machines back to front.
Just buy a good example from a decent collector or a well known dealer, with a 30 day dealer warranty, so that u know the machine has been shopped properly.
If u like Star Trek you will LOVE this machine.If u are not fussed about Star Trek u will still LOVE this machine,  BUT if u u hate star trek, then the machine will never appeal.

I have never seen anyone who was positive about Star Trek play a Next Gen and walk away unhappy.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 10:15:02 AM »
I have never seen anyone who was positive about Star Trek play a Next Gen and walk away unhappy.  ^^^

You havent met me then  %$% sum1 who loves pinball, and named 1 of his kids Patrick, and another Deanna. Yet I dis-like STTNG.

Offline bwodie

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 10:20:51 AM »
its a game you need to spend some time on before you will like it
its not really that deep, but a fair few modes and some awesome shots
great flow (steve richie, master of flow!), and pretty damn hard!
I really love the game, so many awesome shots and the modes are really well thought out
The multiball is kinda tough to get and is very satisfying. The ship at the top spitting the ball out at you is a nice touch. It really makes you feel like you are in a battle.. love it :)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 10:26:01 AM »
I have 2 x Star Trek Next Gens and i will keep both to the day i fall off the planet.

STNG is a great looking game and extremely fun to play.The audio is great and the playfield lights are excellent.
The widebody of STNG shows the engineering excellence of Williams.The missions are many and the different ramp shots, 3 flippers, and the various targets and sink holes make the game both fun and challenging.Parts are easily avail including cliffys etc etc.

Maintainence is straight forward if u have a manual.Good Pinball techs know these machines back to front.
Just buy a good example from a decent collector or a well known dealer, with a 30 day dealer warranty, so that u know the machine has been shopped properly.
If u like Star Trek you will LOVE this machine.If u are not fussed about Star Trek u will still LOVE this machine,  BUT if u u hate star trek, then the machine will never appeal.

Actually - ST TNG is the only game I can ever recall were I've walked of mid ball due to boredom.

Having said that, I will be restoring a ST TNG soon and THIS TIME, I will pay more attention to the gameplay in the hope that I can understand and appreciate the game as much as you guys do !

This IS the DMD that has such a divided opinion, so I'm kinda looking forward to it  ^^^

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 10:26:34 AM »

You havent met me then  %$% sum1 who loves pinball, and named 1 of his kids Patrick, and another Deanna. Yet I dis-like STTNG.

Do you happen to have a cousin named 'Q' who pops in every now and then?
LOL
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 10:29:46 AM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 10:43:59 AM »

Do you happen to have a cousin named 'Q' who pops in every now and then?
LOL

I shouldave named my dog Worf!  &^&

Offline pinmadd

• Forum Posts:
Re: ST TNG 2nd opinion
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 05:42:45 PM »
Thanks all for your opinion's,I see what you mean about this pin polarising poeple,
I just put forward the idea to the other half  *)*  and  got shot down,.....
Yes i am a trekkie  ^^^  But have to admit the first time i played this pin(yes the real pin) i was'nt too impressed,
But the last week i have been playing it
on pinmame and have been enjoying it  ^^^ I have to agree that the rules don't seem to deep to me also,
Oh well will see how i go,  %$%

Offline FreePlay

• Forum Posts:
  • Lewisham, Sydney
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 06:03:20 PM »
Its a LOT better in real life than PINMAME - this is one machine that i found to be bad & slow on Pinmame

I've had STTNG for about 5 years now and play it all the time. They were built during the boom years of 1994/95 when pinball budgets & sales were peaking so you certainly get a lot of pin for your money. This can be confirmed by feeling how heavy it is when you pick it up. To me it feels like a mercedes - strong, heavy, quality, everything is complete ie ruleset & sounds - no rush job when they designed this one

In these 5 years i've only had problems with trough dry solder joints (well known problem with this era of pin) & have had 1 or 2 wires break off and have to be resolderd (but this can happen to any pin)

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 06:17:39 PM »
A Star Trek fan may appreciate the artwork on the classic Bally alot more, I do!

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 06:27:30 PM »
[ so I'm kinda looking forward to it  ^^^

porky pie porky pie ^%^