Author Topic: Hulk and $6million vanished?  (Read 672 times)

Offline FirePower

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Hulk and $6million vanished?
« on: November 24, 2009, 10:30:34 PM »
Anybody know what happened with these ebays that had all bids cancelled?

Hulk http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150389106370&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:1123 had a bid of $1250

Six Mill $man http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150389091381&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:1123  had a bid of $600

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Hulk and $6million vanished?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 10:32:21 PM »
Marcus had the $600 bid when it got cancelled but he said he never received an email saying it was cancelled

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 10:33:52 PM »
Would say they have been sold outside of eGay.

Why not send them an email through their eGay user account and see if they are still available?

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 10:51:48 PM »
This post brought to you by....

&&

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 10:52:11 PM »
Maybe the price was too low and it was getting towards the end of the auction ?

They may have been pulled to avoid letting them go too cheap (in the seller's eye's)
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 10:55:43 PM »

Graham  , the seller   I have dealt with him before . I would guess he was made a offer and sold them off ebay

Offline Ballywannabe

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 11:45:59 PM »
I have never understood how you could pull an auction once you had bids.  If I was bidding, or intended to bid, I would put in a formal complaint.  Otherwise it is not a true auction *!@  Does a seller have the option not to pay at the end?

cheers
Ian

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 11:53:58 PM »
The seller can pull an auction with no less than 24 hrs left to go.

But sellers simply choose "item no longer available, out of stock, or damaged" to get past the fact that the bids arent good enough or if u have sold it offsite n saved some fees.  &&

thats why there are always ph numbers attached to the listing, so it gets sold offsite to save on the high fees. sucks sometimes. ^&^

the hulk looked good though. i think jason from ozpinball in brisbane has one for sale. jason is a mates of tony turners. 2 x good blokes.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 07:23:08 AM »
  Does a seller have the option not to pay at the end?

The sale fees only apply if the auction goes through to the end. The seller only gets slugged the listing fees.

I only pulled an auction once - on an EBD - would never do it again  *.*

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 08:15:29 AM »
I know what went down with Hulk and Spidey. They met on ebay, fell in-love, and ran away with eachother for a life-time of Super gay pinball love.
 %$%

Offline d3vlin

• Forum Posts:
  • geelong
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 02:28:19 PM »
yea it sucks big time. had the 600 bid on six millon dollar man. was watching one min then the next thing daniel tells me it got pulled so i refreshed the page and it was gone. if your selling some thing on ebay sell the thing on ebay. any way better luck next time i guess.

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 10:35:23 PM »
gotta say I agree with Marcus, it sucks and it's certainly against the terms of ebay, amongst other things they say;

quoted from http://help.ebay.com.au/Help/Policies/Rules_for_everyone/Trading_outside_eBay

"Some examples of prohibited off-site offers include:
  • Offering to buy or sell a listed item outside of eBay
  • Cancelling a listing to sell to a buyer who has not bid on the item
  • Ending a listing early to sell the item at a higher price to the leading bidder
  • Offering to sell an item to a bidder in a Reserve Not Met listing
  • Offering to sell duplicate or additional merchandise to unsuccessful bidders, other than in accordance with eBay’s rules about Second Chance Offers

How they'd police this is pretty hard to work out unless a disgruntled buyer moaned and it's hard to think they'd really care. Certainly this is interesting as two machines were pulled so a bit harder for the seller to argue a justifiable why.

But I also fail to see any real reason for the seller to behave this way, the Hulk had  a bid of $1250, with still a day to go - hard pressed to say undervalued. One sold in Oct for $1120.

You'd think if you list something with a start price of $0.99 you are going to sell it, I don't buy the argument about starting low to save insertion fees, seems to me with a few photos it will cost about $5 to list, insertion fees are very price insensitive to opening list price. Seems starting low with a long auction might be a good psychological ploy to get bidders going, but it also seems what  inevitably happens is the second bid is almost invariably about $200 and is placed fairly early on.

The argument you are saving fees is pretty facile to me - in reality listing costs about $5 and is gone anyway, sales fees aren't that much either,as I read it about $35 for a sale of $1250.  For everyone who moans about ebay, what did an add in the trading post cost?  Additionally by pulling the sale from ebay you miss the potential overspending must have buyer, with a day to go and what looked like reasonable prices I think I'd gamble on this - or want a big premium to cancel it.

Six million dollar man was at $600 - a fairly big devaluation - but missing boards and legs and still with a day and a half to go.

I'd say pretty suss on behalf of the seller - his name does turn up selling a few pins on ebay.

By the way I hadn't and wasn't bidding nor interested in either of these, just a curious watcher.

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 02:40:12 AM »
i think a few of us here are just curious watchers.
i am guilty of putting many a pin on watch just to see what it went for.

I love watching the last few minutes when the got to have buyers fight it out. (i have been in a fight it out auction once before and it is comforting to see other bidders go more out of control than what i did)
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 03:17:00 AM »
The reality is that alot of people bid things up, and when it comes to paying, they either dont pay cause they changed their mind and realise they got caught in a bidding war, or meaningly dont go ahead, so the seller gets frustrated and their mate (who was 2nd in line with a much smaller bid) trys to nick it via a email.

I have a few mates who sell pins on ebay, and when it comes to the buyer paying up, they contact the buyers to find over and over again,that the buyer has dis-appeared into the wood work, at least half the time.
But a email soon comes from another bidder offering cash offsite, at a much reduced price.

Some sellers think, a cash price today, is better than a rubber cheque/ebay bid of tomorrow. But yes, it sucks to have listings pulled all the time. ^&^

« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 03:18:35 AM by caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 10:05:19 AM »
I was a bidder and this is the reason given on the listing:

"Cancelled: AU $600.00
Explanation:The seller ended the listing early and cancelled all bids."

So it seems he had MORE than 24 hours to run (and so was in a position to cancel the listing) and wasn't happy with the level of interest.

This has become a major problem with eBay as most expensive items are now sniped. I certainly don't show my hand until the last seconds apart from a small early bid. Sellers really have no idea what an item will bring. As a seller I have let things run with bids of $100 on an item worth $1000 and at the last second it has shot to $1200 - it's impossible to know.

eBay is no longer the place to sell IMO. The major changes and forced use of PayPus has destroyed what was once a very good place to buy and sell. Corporate greed has destroyed another great idea!
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals