Author Topic: Hulk and $6million vanished?  (Read 676 times)

Offline humpalot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Re: Hulk and $6million vanished?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 10:21:26 AM »
Everyone wants to generate some interest in their auctions so they start their auctions low.  The problem with this is the sellers can loose out, wish fleabay would bring back reserves that way sellers wouldn't loose out and would be less inclined to pull their auctions early.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
I'll tell ya a trick of the trade to entice the seller to leave the listing on until the very end. I have won apx 6 or 8 pinballs this way and scored some very good machines.Dont get me wrong, it has cost me serious $$, but  Ya gotta do, what ya gotta do, to win a machine.

I email the seller early in the listing when its say sitting on a few hundred bucks, before i bid, so as not to break the rules technically.

I email " I am interested in this pinball and would be willing to bid up to $2000 so i hope you let the listing run, cause i am sick of pinball listings being pulled.I am a genuine collector".

Then the listing usually stays, and the real amount i would have paid might be really 2500, that way, the seller cant bid it up himself past a reasonable amount that i would pay. I did this after bidding on a dozen machines with all of them being pulled, which gives ya the shits.

The owner gets a good price, i win a machine, and the price i pay is usually a bit more than the market price is anyway, so no one can complain.
Sometimes, unfortunately, ya have to pay a bit more than ya want if the pin is on your "really want list". Thats the only fair way i find to keep the auctions going.Ya know these 99cent auctions are not going to sell for that price, and that the thing is going to sell for say 2 grand, so just put a 1800 bid in early, to get rid of the not so serious timewasters and us serious pinball players/collectors can save some great pins from being parted out or sent to god knows where.

anyway, try it on ya next ebay treasure hunt. it might work for ya.the days of winning machines cheap i reckon are over, too many collectors, not enough top titles to go around. now, its become a problem of winning the machine, versus, how much for and at what saving. too far n in between with demand outstripping supply. :D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 10:31:38 AM by caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 10:29:59 AM »

eBay is no longer the place to sell IMO. The major changes and forced use of PayPus has destroyed what was once a very good place to buy and sell. Corporate greed has destroyed another great idea!

a very good line
ebay will never be able to control ending of auctions early  , when money is changing hands and people have showrooms , offers come in
buyers also know that with a offer to pay and end the auction it saves fees and again with cash it save paypal fees .
ebay is set up more for buyers when it comes to fees.  
you can understand why they are ended and with a saving at time of $300 or more in fees for selling one top end pin  or say  $80.00  on a average pin if auction or double that if in a ebay store .  I dont blame anyone
many members here have offered me money to end a auction  , many members here have come into my showroom and brought things
I am not saying I agree with it but I understand why and why I have done it too.

mark

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 10:36:45 AM »
I agree Mark, Ebay is a place to simply advertise. Its a place to get interest from. No-one ever said ya had to leave it on there for the high fees. Plus, if a member comes into your showroom and offers you a reasonable amount for it,  a seller would be crazy not to take it.

PLUS , a serious collector/player gets the pin, saving it for eternity.At least the machine will get serviced, new parts, and get to live long and prosper. Ok, i nicked that from spock.
But, after all, ya got to look after ya mates n fellow forum members. ofcourse.

Better than the pin going off to someone who wont look after it. !  ^^^  ^^^  ^^^  ^^^  ^^^  ^^^  ^^^  ^^^  ^^^  ^^^   ^^^  ^^^ 

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 10:40:36 AM »
I was very interested in the 6MDM when it first appeared and the seller and I agreed on a 'buy it now' type price.  As far as I was aware, the deal had been done, then there were no replies to my emails about sending payment through and then as we already know, the listing disappeared.  I dare say the seller got a better offer but.......a deals a deal I would have thought or even just an email to say he had a better offer would have been nice.

As fate would have it, I am happier with the Police Force I just bought.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2009, 10:44:51 AM »
i find if ya get the sellers ph number, they usually dont disapear on ya. and ya right, karma wins in the end and ya new police pin has happened for a reason. at least ya know the seller is a nob for next time. lol  %.%

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2009, 11:10:18 AM »

I always ask for the phone number so I can call and ask the questions
hence why in all my auctions we have phone numbers and address

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2009, 11:11:02 AM »
I agree Mark, Ebay is a place to simply advertise. Its a place to get interest from. No-one ever said ya had to leave it on there for the high fees. Plus, if a member comes into your showroom and offers you a reasonable amount for it,  a seller would be crazy not to take it.

PLUS , a serious collector/player gets the pin, saving it for eternity.At least the machine will get serviced, new parts, and get to live long and prosper. Ok, i nicked that from spock.
But, after all, ya got to look after ya mates n fellow forum members. ofcourse.

Better than the pin going off to someone who wont look after it. !  ^^^  ^^^  ^^^  ^^^  ^^^  ^^^  ^^^  ^^^  ^^^  ^^^   ^^^  ^^^ 

I keep well away from Fleabay when I sell pins. I sold maybe 3 - 4 pins and then it became more of an advertising tool as the next 3 pins were sold outside of eBay. Most of the guys that bought the pins have kept in touch and I've sold a few more to them. One collector has bought 4 machines from me - all from viewing a pin I had on ebay, then leaving with another !

I prefer offering them here - then I KNOW they are going to a good home, and I can help out if there are problems.

Project pins nowadays are now selling for what working pins sold for 3 years ago.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2009, 11:14:32 AM »
The reality is that alot of people bid things up, and when it comes to paying, they either dont pay cause they changed their mind and realise they got caught in a bidding war, or meaningly dont go ahead, so the seller gets frustrated and their mate (who was 2nd in line with a much smaller bid) trys to nick it via a email.

I have a few mates who sell pins on ebay, and when it comes to the buyer paying up, they contact the buyers to find over and over again,that the buyer has dis-appeared into the wood work, at least half the time.
But a email soon comes from another bidder offering cash offsite, at a much reduced price.

Some sellers think, a cash price today, is better than a rubber cheque/ebay bid of tomorrow. But yes, it sucks to have listings pulled all the time. ^&^

The big problem with that, is it's creating a false market.  Machines ending at high prices, buyer not paying up, machine gets sold for a lot less outside of eBay.  The people watching the original auction are led to believe the game sold at the auction end price.

Not good.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2009, 11:30:22 AM »
Im the same Nino every machine ive sold i usually end up with a few numbers of the new owners friends who want one along with repair work etc.  Word of mouth still works ^^^