Author Topic: Ebay Pin Purcahase  (Read 798 times)

Offline Ant68

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Re: Ebay Pin Purcahase
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 11:15:00 PM »
Unfortunate but life is full of risks.

Trick is to ask questions, ask for more photos etc BEFORE the deal has been done. After the deal is done all the leverage is gone paypal or no paypal.

I agree with Extra Ball Ken Skybeu is extremely helpful but I would add that most people on this forum are very helpful. I dont care if they have a business or not.

I cannot think of a time I havent got help when I asked for it.

Cheers!

J.D.

I suppose the concerning point would be that the pin was wrongly describe in his listing in the first place  .The seller is a well known to all (on the forums),and I think the buyer has exhausted all his avenue with the seller .
I really feel sorry for the poor bloke (got shafted big time),but I'm quite sure he would find a wealth of information on this forum .
I've bought 6 pins so far on eBay  from Brisbane (private),Michigan(dealer), Utah(private) ,Chicago(private)Germany (dealer),and NY(dealer),.
Out of the 6, I only really had 2 issues ,first from my mate in Germany who still owes me $500 after buying a $12,000 MM of him ,(had minor cosmetic issue not mentioned on EBay ,said he would pay $500 back for not mentioning the issue . I waited and waited for the money then the days expired to leave bad feed back on eBay  ) and blatantly screwed me over.
The second from the states ,the seller was like a slippery Banana to deal with , but after I sent him a list of items that was broken on and under the playfield he willingly offered to pay for all parts (and he did).
The rest have been real good experiences .

« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 12:14:21 AM by Strangeways »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 12:20:18 AM »

I had to tidy the quote up on you post Ant68 - just to ensure it could be followed.

Personally - I've seen a lot of really bad deals and I've heard of people getting screwed over ROYALLY. Once you have completed a few deals, and spoken to people in the industry, you pick these things up and you know who NOT to deal with. Hard to work it all out when you are new on the scene.

I would never buy a pin without going through it with a fine tooth comb. I have taken a big risk before and really, I have not been burnt yet.

Like the others, I'm keen to help out the poor guy to at least get his game up and running.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 10:36:25 PM »
 have bought 13 of my 14pins on e-pay.some were as described ie from dealers,however private sellers ted to overlook some finer points.or i did,eg.assumed glass was taken off for photos.the reality,glass had been smashed,no keys,doooooooor interlock bent out of position,so machine would not work,sound board unpluged/,family fued me thinks and yes having to try a,nd deal with a first time e-bayer who dosent know what pay pal is.   hey live is a challenge!!   and yes i am talking about waterworld

but all a good learning experience,damien
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 11:10:17 PM »
How about posting the original ebay add - take a few screen captures so the statements made in the add are clear and then some post pictures or other evidence that illustrates why it was miss-described. That way members can look and draw their own conclusions.  This forum could be valuable resource in warning people about shonky dealers. particularly if it the dealer is a serial offender. 

The site guidelines already prevent personal attacks and slurs, so moderate on the basis of sticking to observation and facts - not on the basis of avoiding controversy or upsetting dealers.

For procedural fairness email the dealer in question - using an anonymous email address from the aussiepinball.com domain saying a thread has come up on this forum which mentions you - you may care to respond. Make him aware there are 500 or so members who would probably be interested to hear his side of the story if they'd care to present it.  I'm not being a smart arse, give them the right to reply and to state their side of a story in the same non personal rational way. Give the dealer free access and right to reply to the particular thread without having to join the site. What they choose to do is up to them.

Offline Ant68

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 11:23:34 PM »
How about posting the original ebay add - take a few screen captures so the statements made in the add are clear and then some post pictures or other evidence that illustrates why it was miss-described. That way members can look and draw their own conclusions.  This forum could be valuable resource in warning people about shonky dealers. particularly if it the dealer is a serial offender. 

The site guidelines already prevent personal attacks and slurs, so moderate on the basis of sticking to observation and facts - not on the basis of avoiding controversy or upsetting dealers.

For procedural fairness email the dealer in question - using an anonymous email address from the aussiepinball.com domain saying a thread has come up on this forum which mentions you - you may care to respond. Make him aware there are 500 or so members who would probably be interested to hear his side of the story if they'd care to present it.  I'm not being a smart arse, give them the right to reply and to state their side of a story in the same non personal rational way. Give the dealer free access and right to reply to the particular thread without having to join the site. What they choose to do is up to them.

take a few screen captures so the statements made in the add are clear and then some post pictures or other evidence that illustrates why it was miss-described. That way members can look and draw their own conclusions.  This forum could be valuable resource in warning people about shonky dealers. particularly if it the dealer is a serial offender. 

Fair call , I should do the same with my MM .Let the members decide who's pullin the chain .
Good advice I'll pass it on thanks .

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 08:18:44 AM »
If you publically post evidence against a dealer then make sure its bullet-proof.
Word of mouth does the job quite well, and is less problematic.

I reckon its hard for dealers selling to collectors vs people who just want 1 pin for the rumpus room. Collectors demand more attention, and demand the product to be a higher standard. AND of course we want all that for a cheap cheap price. If I see a dealer starting a pin cheap on ebay then I have no high expectations of it.
Its simply on ebay to grab attention, and to lure the mum and dad buyers into the shop. That, and to flog a machine taking-up space needed for a more saleable pin.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 08:21:58 AM by Extra Ball »