Author Topic: my newest purchase - now with pics  (Read 560 times)

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Re: my newest purchase - now with pics
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2009, 06:32:34 PM »
Yes - you should be rightly proud!

Way to go Brad - they look awesome and the Galaxy looks very sweet  ^^^

Offline punter

• Forum Posts:
  • illawarra
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2009, 06:37:04 PM »
Looks great,playfield has come up nice,you must be happy with this purchase.

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2009, 09:02:54 PM »
Looks good in the pics mate.

Also if the playfield is fully covered in thin "mylar" it may well turn out to be plain old contact like I think is on my SMDM . Apparantly it was pretty common for ops to apply contact to a new machine in those days .

There's some info about it from Nino and Homepin towards the back of this thread:

http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=3395.30

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2009, 09:07:07 PM »
Very sweet looking lineup mate.  Great stuff.  I gotta get me some of these machines at some stage.
Addicted to pins.

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2009, 09:27:14 PM »

Also if the playfield is fully covered in thin "mylar" it may well turn out to be plain old contact like I think is on my SMDM . Apparantly it was pretty common for ops to apply contact to a new machine in those days .

There's some info about it from Nino and Homepin towards the back of this thread:

Thanks for the info Scott yeah i read that thread when you got your machine. I think it may be a bit more robust than contact, but i'm only guessing. Got a photo here you can see it around the lane guides before i cleaned it, it's pretty tough stuff but i can't say for sure i don't know. They did a good job though, that's the only place it's come up, and seems to have been forced up by the posts. Someone had the wrong size plastics in too check out the holes. Whatever it is, is it worth waxing over or not?? What about Novus??
WTB (or possibly trade) - 1980 Stern ALI

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2009, 09:31:35 PM »

Yep - we started covering every PF with contact after the early SS machines wore very poorly. There was a lot of 'public' interest when SS pins first appeared and they were generally played well. After 6 months the PF wear was pretty bad. This is in the days just prior to the first Taito Space Invaders - so NO video games were around at all really (except "pub pong" and we had 50 of them stacked above the toilet block!!!!).

That's when we started applying contact to stop the wear. It worked a treat, was cheap and easy to apply and I think even today it would have stood up OK. Removing it - - - now that's a different story!

Interestingly we needed have bothered applying it to most of the Gottlieb SS machines as they just never made the sort of money the Bally/Williams machines did (sorry guys that have G machines - it's a fact that they were pretty crap games as a rule - I thought so at the time and still do). The operator I worked for used to buy ALL new pins and generally several of each title. The Gottliebs never made him any money...........
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
Brad if the mylar is not lifting and no dirt has got in under the edges then it's probably best to leave it . You will still be able to clean / polish it up to a nice shine and a coat of caranuba wax always helps .

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2009, 12:14:13 AM »

Interestingly we needed have bothered applying it to most of the Gottlieb SS machines as they just never made the sort of money the Bally/Williams machines did (sorry guys that have G machines - it's a fact that they were pretty crap games as a rule - I thought so at the time and still do). The operator I worked for used to buy ALL new pins and generally several of each title. The Gottliebs never made him any money...........

Perhaps due more to their lack of reliability  !@#

Early system 1 Gottliebs were just like early Williams, Bally and Stern games as far as essentially being EM gameplay, but with SS electronics.

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2009, 08:40:46 AM »
Brad if the mylar is not lifting and no dirt has got in under the edges then it's probably best to leave it . You will still be able to clean / polish it up to a nice shine and a coat of caranuba wax always helps .

Cheers Scott yep i'm going to leave it. If i didn't take off the lane guides and see the 'creases', I would not have even know there was anything on it, it's real clean and straight, no lifting or dirt. I'm going to Novus/wax it on the weekend ^^^.
WTB (or possibly trade) - 1980 Stern ALI