Author Topic: Where do i get LONG lengths/rolls of braid-wire for under Playfield (GI) wiring?  (Read 1574 times)

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
Cool, i pop into Middy's tomorrow (Mon) as they're about 1km up the road from me, also have another supplier in Richmond that i'll see tomorrow too.

If i can crack this, i'll be putting in a combined order to try and get some drums of the stuff for everyone who needs it.

MM.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Cool, i pop into Middy's tomorrow (Mon) as they're about 1km up the road from me, also have another supplier in Richmond that i'll see tomorrow too.

If i can crack this, i'll be putting in a combined order to try and get some drums of the stuff for everyone who needs it.

MM.

sounds good Marty  *%*
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
I looked into the wires from your link Nino 20 foot of wire was going to be $15 shipping which sounded reasonable to me but ill wait and see how Martys mission pans out

Marty Machine

OK, partial update, i have some more places to visit tomorrow for the braids etc....

I went to Middendorps today, they weren't much good, anything other than power cable was out of the question.

Followed onto Bunnings, found some interesting wire and bought some small rolls for trial...
I found SOLID wire, in both .70mm and .90mm sizes, the next size was 1.25mm but would be too hard to bend around tight curves on a playfield.

I also found some picture-hanging wire, it has no size, just a weight rating, mine is 12kg-size. (it matched the sample playfield wire i took along).
For some reason the picture-wire is mainly GOLD in colour, anything silver was too thick (2-3mm, or plastic coated).
NOTE:
I measured my pinny wire (several samples from various playfields) they all seem to be .90mm guage.
The picture-wire (GOLD) measures as 1mm, which offers greater current capabilities while still being flexable to wrap around a playfield.

.70mm solid wire "Wire-Pak" cost $6.50 for 75metre roll.
(this is the only length available for this size)

.90mm solid wire "Wire-Pak" cost $6.50 for 50metre roll.
(this is also availble in 75metre & 100metre rolls - i think the 100metre roll was around $22 - CHEAP !)

Picture-Hanging wire "12kg - 3.6metre" cost $5.08 - this is available in a 20metre roll for about $25 - kinda pricey.
This wire is multi-stranded like the original pinny wire - although it has 7 strands (thicker) instead of 10strands in the pinny stuff (thinner guage).

The 3 wires soldered quite easily, with absolutely NO preparation, no flux, no sanding back, no alcohol (for the wire or me).

Here's 3 sample loops i quickly soldered up....can u tell i was bored?  :lol

Enjoy!
Marty.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 06:41:13 PM by Marty Machine »

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
Good one Marty! ^^^

Be nice to track the right stuff - olex haven't deemed to get back to me as yet...
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Marty Machine

Olex & Xmas, good luck !  !*!

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
It was suggested to me at the time ( and I used ) de-soldering braid that you can buy CHEAP at Dick smiths etc ( in 2 mtr lengths I think )when I did the Time Warp playfield and , although it is thick and ugly - it did work.

However I have since been told that the picture hanging wire ,that I see you are already looking at as a possibility, is a good and also neater option.

DW Drums rule !

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Multi strand too - less chance of cracking on a bend later down the track

Marty Machine

Well today wasn't much better.

I visited TITAN, NHP and VEALLS (All Electrical Wholesalers that my work deals with in Victoria).
None of them could help me with the stranded pinny wire/cable.

I did however grab a roll of 1mm SOLID copper wire for $33 for 100metre roll (my trade price).
The bummer is i have to strip it, but it might be worth the effort if nothing else is around.
It bends nicely and in very tight curves with no effort. (the bends in the photo are about 1cm curves).

I managed to solder the sample (pictured) in around 3 seconds with no preparation other than stripping the plastic off.
(the plastic is soft and cuts easy with art-knife, and slips off in long lengths nicely too).

The multistrand which was only available in 1.5mm doesn't have twisted stands along the length of cable, so you'd need to twist or solder the strands together every few cm's to keep it together....ugly !

I'm trying to find long rolls of this stuff but pre-tinned if possible, would be nicer than bare (corroding) copper.

I'll ring/visit a few more cable places tomorrow,,,,getting there...
Marty.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
If you wanted to go to the effort of stripping wire you can get silver speaker wire and strip that thats what i was going to do if i couldnt find anything suitable

Marty Machine

Isn't that harder to strip? i thought some of those 'monster' speaker wires were pretty solidly slealed/glued inside...

The search goes on.....
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 05:58:36 PM by Marty Machine »

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
How about these guys?
http://www.brimelectronics.com/BRAID-1.htm

Also try "hamilton industries" in the US - they appear to be a manufacturer of braid - there is stainless, tinned and un-tinned copper...

Sorry - no link as its on the other PC...

<Edit from my PC>: http://www.hamprods.com/Braided_Products.htm#Tinned Cu Flat Braids

What is the original braid we want to use? Is it tinned copper?

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 08:20:36 PM by shansta »
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline pinballowner

• Forum Posts:
  • Qld south of Brisbane
We use a lot of braid in our equipment (Electricity supply authority). I don't usually look after the procurement of it but I had to buy some urgently for a job a few months ago. I will look up their details tomorrow and post up here.

Marty Machine

Yep Shansta, Tinned-copper would be best suited - flat braid, althought the 1mm round multi-strand (also tinned) is what the original is more like.

Offline pinballowner

• Forum Posts:
  • Qld south of Brisbane
See if these guys can help.

BAMBACH
102 OLD PITTWATER RD
BROOKVALE NSW 2100

02 9938 5622