Author Topic: Pinball Expo 2010  (Read 1655 times)

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Pinball Expo 2010
« on: December 13, 2009, 12:06:27 AM »
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 12:19:06 AM by illawarra_steelers »

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
Re: Pinball Expo 2010
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 01:26:01 AM »
sounds good tony.i assume this expo is in vic or nsw,not sa,please confirm location
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 07:42:14 AM »
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 12:19:22 AM by illawarra_steelers »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 07:56:52 AM »
Nug and I will not be taking part this time, although we will have NPC-002 done by then we think. We'll have our own mini-Expo somewhere - just CI & NPC-002 !! ;)

Hopefully next year's event will start to create a real Expo atmosphere, with a larger range of vendors. On that point, will other dealers be a bigger part next time? Ie the biggest parts supply in the world is at Mark C's, and it would be a shame if he was not allowed next time - a stall of rare parts is just the sort of thing one expects at an Expo.

Who else in on the "committee" Tony?
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 09:47:39 AM »
I assume a larger venue is called for, with more pins on the floor?

For me the dinner seemed to go well and would be worth doing again. The biggest disappointment in regards to the dinner was that Alan Tate didn't speak about his plans for the pinball museum; I enjoyed everything else (OK, the trivia just proved I don't know much about pinball history...). The food was of good quality for the dollars paid and the price was low enough not to exclude anyone who wished to attend.

A larger range of vendors would be great if it can be arranged. My understanding was that last time around other dealers were excluded from selling pins off the floor (presumably to assist with the auction) and so some dealers did not think it worthwhile attending?

The auction didn't bother me (apart from its timing) as I can understand that for the first time organisers the event was a big financial risk. I don't think the auction really drew out top dollar from the crowd except for a couple of titles that always do so. As to the timing, in my opinion it should have been held last as once the auction was over the machines were no longer available to play and people who attended the Expo post-auction had nothing to do, really (and it was advertised as finishing up at 5pm - the auction finished around 2pm or 3pm I think).

I was pleased to be able to assist AP with promotion of the forum at the Expo and apart from one individual who wanted to have a go at me about AP there was a good feeling between members of the different forums. We all have pinball in common, and I do think pinball was the winner with the amount of publicity that was generated for the hobby. I was particularly impressed by how much coverage was able to be generated in the media.

It would be worthwhile to think about drawcards for the event; having a couple of big-name speakers in a separate seminar room might help; maybe having a door prize of a pinball machine could be a winner if permits could be arranged (for example, you could have 5 machines and the door prize winner picks a coin door key out of 5 - whichever machine the key fits is theirs); but I guess overall people came last time because they could play pinball and talk pinball.

May seemed to be a good month of the year last time weather wise (not too hot, not too cold).

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 09:56:32 PM »
Any further news on this? I need dates now if I am going to make it???

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 10:04:36 PM »
Hey Tony, I just noticed you modified your posts here. Why so? It makes it hard to follow the thread when that happens.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 10:26:32 PM »
Modified alright...

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 10:38:26 PM »
i never attended the last pinball expo but heard very mixed opinions about it.

Is there really 100% going to be a Expo and if so, where and when and who is going to run it ?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 12:17:08 AM by caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 10:47:43 PM »
Last Expo was cool mate, it was what you made it.. had some flaws of course, but it was Expo #1 and so things that occur then are rectified in subsequent years.
I dont know much about this years, Tony M is on ther commitee im lead to believe ( was happy to leave all this to him) but it seems he has deleted his posts regarding it on this forum.

So.. it seems that Expo #2 will not have impartiality from certain commitee members, as they have allowed personal feelings to cloud their judgement.
This kinda worries me.
I know Ryan .. one of the organisers of last years Expo and of course Michael S.. seems i need to talk to them to find out whats going on as someone has taken their ball and left the playing field.
Expo will be in Sydney again..

the rest ill find out

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 11:07:02 PM »
Expo was a very positive step toward promoting pinball in Australia, no matter if or what went on in the sidelines. Yes, there were some teething problems, but that was to be expected. Overall, a thoroughly enjoyable weekend.

It was a great chance to promote AP - look back to see the membership spike! It was a great chance to meet members of the forum (plus the other one as well)! It was a great chance to see Coconut Island in the flesh and put a couple of games on it! It was a great chance to hear from Michael Shalhoub at the dinner! It was a great chance to talk pinball and play pinball!! It was a great chance to get away for the weekend and indulge this great hobby!!!

I am very keen to get to the next one, obviously, but I do need to know dates ASAP as otherwise it could be very difficult to get there. And I owe a few blokes a beer this time around. Thanks to those who looked after me last Expo!

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 11:15:01 PM »
Last Expo was cool mate, it was what you made it.. had some flaws of course, but it was Expo #1 and so things that occur then are rectified in subsequent years.
I dont know much about this years, Tony M is on ther commitee im lead to believe ( was happy to leave all this to him) but it seems he has deleted his posts regarding it on this forum.

So.. it seems that Expo #2 will not have impartiality from certain commitee members, as they have allowed personal feelings to cloud their judgement.
This kinda worries me.
I know Ryan .. one of the organisers of last years Expo and of course Michael S.. seems i need to talk to them to find out whats going on as someone has taken their ball and left the playing field.
Expo will be in Sydney again..

the rest ill find out

I would really like to know why information about expo 2010 is being removed from AP. It's particularly disappointing after expo 2009 was so well supported by AP. I would love to know what has changed since then but I guess only one person can answer that as I truly have NFI about this. Expo 2009 was great for AP and vice versa. It's a real shame that this forum, along with its members, is being shunned this way.

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 11:21:59 PM »
Looking forward to it, really enjoyed it last year. Hopefully there will be a date set soon so us interstaters can make arrangements.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 11:33:56 PM »

Disappointing to see the posts regarding Expo 2010 has been removed from "the" committee member as well.

I've asked for an explanation.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 12:07:15 AM »
I'm looking forward to it, I missed last years  !!! I'll be at this years with bells on!!
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.