Author Topic: Williams World Cup (1978) restoration  (Read 2981 times)

Offline infinite1977

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
  • Roger 504 apprehend him
Re: Williams World Cup (1978) restoration
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2010, 09:44:49 PM »
Thanks for the advice Marty. Nino, you can have the whole slab. Will have some Kiss blaring for you. I will be home the whole weekend, so just drop us a buzz.I appreciate it.

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2010, 02:07:32 PM »
Ok Nino the man has just left the building. Let me just say there is no way I could have done what he just did. I am forever in your debt.

Problems/Concerns found:

Power supply board was missing two diodes hence no 5v. This is being rectified.

Transformer still smells. Is this normal? Is there something that should be checked. It is reading a little high in it's voltage. Pumping through 250v. Reading some note that were made reading 29vac as opposed to 25.5vac.

Last issue solenoid is reading way too high 38v dc as opposed to 28v dc. Any suggestions?

Apart from that it all seemed to be ok, hopefully when I get the power supply board back we will get power to the displays.

Thanks again Nino.

Offline FirePower

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2010, 10:38:02 PM »

That is an absolutely shocking pun.

Transformer still smells. Is this normal? Is there something that should be checked. It is reading a little high in it's voltage. Pumping through 250v. Reading some note that were made reading 29vac as opposed to 25.5vac.

Last issue solenoid is reading way too high 38v dc as opposed to 28v dc. Any suggestions?

Two thoughts;
  • Firstly you have nothing connected up - which is the correct thing to do as the first tests and you would expect the no load voltages to be a bit higher.
  • Secondly the transformer has a facility to allow it to be wired up for low (105 or 210V) input voltage conditions, you need to make sure it's not in this configuration. This is described on the power wiring diagram and  involves making different connections on the transformer.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2010, 10:46:04 PM »

That is an absolutely shocking pun.

Two thoughts;
  • Firstly you have nothing connected up - which is the correct thing to do as the first tests and you would expect the no load voltages to be a bit higher.
  • Secondly the transformer has a facility to allow it to be wired up for low (105 or 210V) input voltage conditions, you need to make sure it's not in this configuration. This is described on the power wiring diagram and  involves making different connections on the transformer.

Once I have repaired the Power supply, I'll check the config of the transformer  ^^^. All other voltages are there, so we are looking good !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2010, 11:05:33 PM »
 #*#

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2010, 05:53:08 PM »
Ok, latest update on the world cup. Power board returned today, installed and success. The machine powers up, sound works. Thank you Nino, your blood is worth bottling.

Had some issues with displays initially. After further playing around discovered the following. Master display works fine. 2 displays work perfectly. (I did not realize each set of cables is wired for each output) silly me. One display is complete dead no power at all, and the 4th display only displays "LLLL" so I am thinking this display is not working also. I was one cable short, so I will picking it up tomorrow. I have managed to source some more displays O/S so I am thinking about getting them.

I also managed to source a set of plastics for the machine as well as the strange post that was missing from the spinner, so the play field will now also be complete. The only thing left now to my knowledge is to replace some missing coils and knocker and machine will be complete. #*# #*#

Will let you know. Thank again for the help and advice and I will thank you prematurely for the future advice :)

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2010, 11:51:39 PM »
Finally had my first game on the machine today. It seems to be quite fun. Everything works except two microswitches.
I will post some final pics on the weekend. I dont think I will do any more work to it right now. Eventually will look at touching up the back box as it has a chunk out of it in the corner.

Does anyone know what type of paint in needed on this?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2010, 09:14:01 AM »

Sounds good George - It is a fun game to play and right in time for the World Cup. I've never repainted a WMS, so I'm not sure what paint they used. I think you might want to look at repainting the entire cabinet as the base (white) will be hard to match as they fade and yellow over time. You will be able to determine the correct color by looking behind the legs - remove one leg and you will see the factory white.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline FirePower

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2010, 11:30:49 AM »
Goodonya George - it's a fun game. I like the kick out holes where slings normally are - changes the way you play.

To test paints I've read;
- rub it with a rag damp with Turps - if the colour comes onto the rag its enamel
- rub it with a rag damp with acetone (nail polish remover) if it goes gooey it's a latex paint.
- not sure how to sort if it's acrylic?  maybe neither of the above?

As to matching the colour, a bloody dog once ate half a door jam of mine painted in enamel paint. I took a scrape of colour to a paint shop with a colour matching scanner and they matched it. I painted half the door jam and it blended really well - you couldn't pick it. Might work on a pin?

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2010, 08:50:30 PM »
Ok here are some more pics of the WMS. Plays well, play field polished. I think it has come up well from what it was and I have certainly leaned heaps along the way which was the main intention.

Since pics are a large size and I am too lazy to re-size them, I have created a picasa web album. Here is the link for all those interested.

http://picasaweb.google.com/106879998800596875441/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCIGVs8OguIH88AE#

Hope that works

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2010, 09:06:53 PM »
Looks great George.

Well done!