Author Topic: New Topic. Whats the KING title of pinball machines ?  (Read 1486 times)

Offline thefasteddy69

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Southern Highlands
Re: New Topic. Whats the KING title of pinball machines ?
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 09:20:47 AM »
TZ certainly deserves the "King" title. It has a great rule set and is challenging to play.

I think that Cirqus Voltaire is amazing as well. Any one of them would be my dream DMD.

Gotta admit I prefer the 70 & 80's machines where you really play the machine. Out of these I wouldn't know where to start. But at this stage are still within reach of most people. What the hell lets say Firepower, actually Space Invaders or..... Bugger.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 09:28:39 AM »
i dont think M Madness really rates, cause no one can buy one, and the moving castle stuff looks like that H R & Puff n Stuff show i used to watch when i was a kid. lol. only joking. but it does sort of ehhh ?
MM does have beautiful cabinet art. But ya cant buy a MM anywhere.

Twilight Zone has to be number one cause it is affordable and still accessible.

"King Twilight Zone". now, that sounds good.

"King" of "what" - DMDs ? In my opinion, DMDs are FAR from being "Classics" and cannot be spoken in the same breath of Paragon, Fathom, Haunted House, Knock Out, Mermaid, Fireball etc.. Must be a "generational" thing but try and get an older pinhead into DMDs - rarely happens, but a younger Pinhead marvels at EMs.

In terms of DMDs, Circus Voltaire, Addams Family and Scared Stiff BURY TZ. I just find TZ, Indy and especially ST TNG as borefests of the highest order.

MM is an over rated machine - THE most over rated game in history. Imagine the number of project machines for $12,000 !!

Thats the GREAT thing about Pinball - We all have strong opinions on "which Pinball" / "which Generation"..

I have machines from 1961 to 1997. I keep going back to my Paragon..

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 10:03:12 AM »
Thought about my reply for some days now..

KING OF PINBALL MACHINES???

Tough call... but my answer based on tyotal package including artwork etc and what pinball is to me.

BALLY CAPT FANTASTIC... Nothing to scream about in regards to game play, but this machine to me is the whole deal - IT IS PINBALL!!! When i shut my eyes and vision pinball... this is what comes to mind.

GTB KNOCKOUT  http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=knockout&sortby=name&searchtype=quick#1391   OR GTB ROCKET SHIP http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=rocket+ship&searchtype=quick#1990 - Cant split these 2 -  Both CLASSIC woodrails.. KNockout is a very hard to find machine.. has the BEST PF animation ever made.. if you are into woodies then this HAS to be on the list of wants.Oddly enough.. made very early on in 1950
ROCKET SHIP - once again.. this is what pinball is all about.. artwork is just stunning and screams the 1950's... real Dan Dare stuff.. made when GTB really were KINGS of pinball.. a title they rode for another 20 years but in my opinion without real justification... made in 58.. GTB knew their stuff and delivered time and time again in the late 50's. If you only want to own 1 woody then a late 50's GTB would be a great choice.

#3 on the list is THE ADDAMS FAMILY - sums up DMD and is the triumph of this era. Is on my wishlist. Once again.. its everything.. the theme.. the look, crazy arse game to play.. will fit right into my line up.. classic machine that i put a lot of coin into down the pub... this machine owes me!

Offline Dirty daz

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 01:31:29 PM »
favorite 2
TAF
TZ
not sure on third
whirlwind
wwh2o

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 03:20:43 PM »
TZ - heaps of different modes, heaps of toys, super cool mini PF, magnets, great transition from tv theme to pinball

Wh20 - flowing layout, heaps of ramps, the best ramp ever put inside a pin (insanity falls), very deep ruleset, best wizard mode ever

AFM - great humor, nice looping shots, hard wizard mode, cool light show, heaps of different multiball modes

Offline Pinprick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 03:29:08 PM »
I predict stern's LOTR will hit #1 one day
TZ will remain about equal top . . . .
TAF will continue to wax & wane with other contenders for #3

As for EM's see my new avatar . . .  !*! <.> :lol
"I don't operate on a level playing field"

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 03:33:12 PM »
I predict stern's LOTR will hit #1 one day
TZ will remain about equal top . . . .
TAF will continue to wax & wane with other contenders for #3

As for EM's see my new avatar . . .  !*! <.> :lol

It is only a Williams Star Pool. Bet it could have been picked up off the street and restored  <.> <.>

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 03:47:44 PM »
Most requested pins for me are
KING    =INDIANNA JONES
QUEEN  =KISS
JACK    =ADDAMS FAMILY

my most wanted \ played are

KING    = PARAGON
QUEEN = AFM
JACK   = GUNS N ROSES

Offline madness

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2009, 05:24:06 PM »
#1- AFM
#2-MB
#3-CV

Hard choice for me at 2 or 3 ,because i really love CV,but i think for me MB is just the slightest better game.
As for MM or TZ or AF,i have all and i rarely take a look in these days as AFM ROCKS!
MM,i think might be my biggest ever bad buy,maybe in time it may grow on it,

Cheers

Offline Ballywannabe

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 09:02:47 PM »
OK - this is difficult if not impossible, but for an oldie like me my all time faves would be:

Black Hole - great sound, reverse lower playfield, mad multiball, very hard to master.
Pharaoh - the best of the Williams split playfield series in my opinion - the only game I know of where the upper playfield is larger and more important in gameplay than the lower playfield.  Check out the humour in the playfield and plastics artwork.
Paragon - was not a fan of this game back in the day, but now I have one and it is not going anywhere!  Great artwork, great gameplay and a hard game to master.

Honorable mentions to - Black Knight, Centaur, EBD, Haunted House and my beloved Sterns, Stargazer, Quicksilver, Nineball, Seawitch and Meteor.

cheers
Ian

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 09:12:57 PM »
Actually, Strangeways is correct, it does depend on what era you grew up with pinball.

So, for some of the guys who are 50 plus, dmd machines would not cut it. They grew up with earlier stuff.
The middle aged guys around 40 probably like the dmd stuff, andf the 20 - 30 bracket probably think the Stern stuff is the bomb.

Thats why i am going to end up having 50 machines in one big room, stick 30 blokes in their like kids in a lollie shop and say,
 "go and play something u havent played before with an open mind and really learn a whack of new machines and rerwrite your opinions on pinball".
The second thing to say is "how would ya like ya steak, and who wants more grog ! lol

Thats the great thing about pinball. So many titles. So many new machines to play. When i play a new title, i dont compare it to anything, i just play it and enjoy that machines bits n pieces. Pinballs are like girls, all fun and different in their own way.! lol.

One machine that keeps being mentioned over and over again is Paragon, and even Gorgar etc. Looks like i am going to have to turn to the darkside and buy a few pre dmd titles.   ^^^
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 07:22:36 PM by caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2009, 09:52:14 PM »
yes caveman, but if you really want some one to try and enjoy any era of pin then the pin must be in perfect working order, with strong flippers and responsive jet bumpers.
One very important factor is to have the pin set to its correct pitch and level. (one pin comes to mind, FT  #@#.) and for this to be possible you need a pinball tech with some time off work so i can work on your pins and get them all up to 100%, not 99.9% as most of them are. LOL

(does that make sense? give me some time off work so i can work  !@#)

as per cavemans last post all his pins will be up to scratch if i can get some time to do it, some of them have these tiny little things wrong with them but its
 a bit hard to keep up when there are so so many pins and some person who recons he knows what he is doing comes along and makes my job harder.

sorry brett not my fault, dont blame it on the moon shine, dont blame it on a good time, blame it on a boogie,
no, you CAN blame it on the moon shine  **)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 11:51:45 PM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2009, 11:06:02 PM »

So, for some of the guys who are 50 plus, dmd machines would not cut it. They grew up with earlier stuff.
The middle aged guys around 40 probably like the dmd stuff, andf the 20 - 30 bracket probably think the Stern stuff is the bom

!@# Hope youre not putting me in the over 50's bracket! !@#

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2009, 11:32:43 PM »

The middle aged guys around 40 probably like the dmd stuff, andf the 20 - 30 bracket probably think the Stern stuff is the bom

!@# Hope youre not putting me in the over 50's bracket! !@#

Me neither !

Just a tad over 40 for me.  $!&

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2009, 10:01:12 AM »
after carrying 25 plus pins from one house to the other, i fell dam 50 yrs old.

nah, i knew u guys were early 40's.  my wife is 10 yrs younger than me. so i feel younger than 40 too. !  &&  &&  &&     ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !