Author Topic: EM vs SS vs DMD  (Read 953 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
EM vs SS vs DMD
« on: December 22, 2009, 04:39:38 PM »

There's only one aspect of pinball that can divide Pinheads. Which flavor - EM, SS or DMD ? Is the division becoming greater, or are the different eras "crossing over" ? It is a fascinating division that is sometime very noticeable when talking to pinheads, or in particular, during discussions on the forum.

Sounds like a good idea for a poll.

I'm "old school" and biased towards EMs and SS machines, because this is what I've grown up with. In fact, I spent most of my youth around 50's Bingos and 70's EMs - But I really enjoyed the SS machines, especially the early SS 1977 - 1980. That IS my favorite period. From a "playing" point of view and a "restoration" point of view. Paragon, Fathom, Medusa, KISS, Playboy, Flash Gordon, Haunted House and Spirit have no peers in any era.

I'll always have a "soft spot" for EMs. There's something "special" about opening the coin door of an EM and inhaling 40+ years of history. EMs have a character that later machines never attained. If it was not for the "Golden Age" of EMs, the SS machines would never have been so interesting. Contrary to popular opinion, they are not hard to fix, you can get parts for them and they are not rare. They are a bit of an enigma for Dealers as most don't really understand their value, or the correct method of repair of restoration. These are truly "enthusiast's" machines. But the interest in EMs is increasing, as the younger generation brought up on DMDs discover the forefather's of pinball. I still enjoy the old classics - Spirit of 76, Old Chicago, Fireball, Captain Fantastic, Sky Jump, Jacks Open and Drop A Card.

DMDs are more like the "fast food" of pinball. with only three balls, a game can last minutes and you can walk away feeling "ripped of". If you know the ruleset, you can be on one machine for half a day ! Multiballs on DMDs are by far the highlight, and they are usually quite easy to obtain. Unfortunately, DMD machines are complex and for that very reason - the payoff is that they break down often. In the time it takes to change a rubber kit on a DMD, you could have done 10 EMs or SS machines. I think Circus Voltaire is BY FAR and a LONG WAY the best DMD. Scared Stiff, Addams Family, Gun's'Roses, Jurassic Park and CFTBL are great machines. I've never understood the attraction of Medieval Madness and Cactus Canyon, and the only machine I've ever walked away from "mid game" is ST TNG. I'll be interested to see if DMDs ever attain the same "character" as EMs and SS already have.

As far as restoration is concerned, I enjoy working on all genres of machines - but I like a change every now and again. Recently, I've been spending too much time on DMDs and I'm looking forward to an EM or SS soon !

Obviously - My favorite genre is "Solid State" - I've spent YEARS tracking down my favorite games - Paragon, Medusa, Fathom, Flash Gordon, KISS, Viking, Haunted House and Spirit.

So here's a poll - EM, SS or DMD
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: EM vs SS vs DMD
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 04:48:38 PM »
EM my favorite i love the Complex simplicity of them.  No fancy Circuit boards just old fashioned genious........

But i also love my SS   

DMD really dont do a lot for me

Offline pinmadd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 05:03:47 PM »
DMD or system 11 onwards,I need ramps,sounds and light shows,more rules,
I respect people that are into older pin's,but they don't do it for me,its like going from hd tv back to b&w, !^!
      Flame suit on!!!  **&

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 05:19:26 PM »
SS for me, nostolgic value from my teen years loved all the Ballys Kiss, Strikes & Spares, Evil Knevil, Playboy, Mata Hari etc.  Although I played a LOT of EMs in my younger years and these come a close second.  Put Williams 1971 - Klondike up as favorite followed by Midway's 1960s Flying Turns.

Nino, would it be easy to add an age bracket in the poll as I would like to see what the coalation is between preffered pins and the age of the person voting.

Cheers

Dean
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline deadlydave

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 05:41:35 PM »

SS for me as its what I played growing up, mainly GTB Sys one and Williams Sys 6, I remember the classic Bally's of that era in the pinnie parlour but never put too many coins into them, like Daniel I really admire the way the EM's are built, have never played any DMD's.

Cheers
Dave

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 05:55:51 PM »
I will be the Tiger Woods and say I love all three

Like you, I started playing pinball at the end of the EM period, the last few years of Gottlieb EMs, the year or so of Williams EM's, So many classic games
Then to fall in love with the the new electronic games, those Gottieb sys1 with their big blue displays, the deep electric tones, all of them are great
Then about 1979, the desiners finally learn how to program, and with better sound boards pinball really takes off
Fast forward to the DMD, I do not know what was in the water at Bally/Williams during the days of WPC, but most of the games then seem to have an extra layer of fairy dust that makes so many of them fun to play
(the fairy dust sems to be missing though from WPC-95 games)

Offline oldpins

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 06:19:19 PM »
As mentioned by Strangeways in the start of the post, EM's started the ball rolling. I'm a big fan of EM machines, followed by SS then DMD which I have a couple ('Cue Ball Wizard' & 'Indy 500'). For me EM's are easier to repair and restore.

GT

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 06:28:45 PM »
I'm sort of 50/50 with SS and DMD pins because I grew up in the eras of SS pins and saw the change over to DMD . If I had to pick between the two though I would probably pick DMD .

In saying that though I have been to a few local meets where members have had pins from all eras and I have learnt to appreciate the older EM's . They are great fun to play and most are outstanding as pieces of artwork .

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 07:03:58 PM »
I am torn on this issue, and I flounder around wanting to sell my early stuff and go all DMD, but then I change my mind.
I grew-up on EMs, but I find my one EM fullfills my need for them. I like early SS, but I just dont feel the love enough to chase them. DMD is so new to me, I didnt get to play them in the 90's, infact I played my first DMD just 2 years ago. That first DMD was a BR I bought off ebay (very fun game). I closing I would say I have a growing DMD bias, and love to play games from 1970 onwards only.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 07:21:30 PM »
I enjoy playing ALL types of pins.  I really like working on SS/DMD pins and havn't cut my teeth on an EM as yet. (note yet!)...

I grew up mostly playing SS pins then moved onto the DMD's later in my early teens.  For me I enjoy fast play and ramps but certainly appreciate the artwork & design of the early games.

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 07:40:23 PM »
I've never played a DMD, but hey why should that stop me offering an opinion  %.%  I've got a couple of SSs and a couple of EMs.

For the same reason as others, that being what I grew up with, SS from the late 70's, early 80's do it for me. The speed of them is good the rule set easy enough to understand and play to, yet complex enough to be hard to master. Cool sounds - continuous and speech - for what an electronic pin should sound like to me. So if I was only allowed one species, it would be SS.

I like EMs for a different reason, they represent more of the history and make a great racket when played. There's nothing subtle about a chime box bashing away, it's also cool technology and ingenuity for the time, but the ones I've played have a much shallower rules and play a bit slower. The art work is also more innocent and simple - in a busty babe sort of way.

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 08:21:42 PM »
DMDs for me, I like "fast food"  *%*

Matthew

Offline thefasteddy69

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Southern Highlands
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 08:31:04 PM »
They are all fun. But at the magic age of 40 this year, the late 70's EM's and the early 80's SS games are it for me.

EM's sound fantastic with the chime boxes dinging away. The early 80's Ballys and Williams with their electronic sounds are excellent and really take me back. Really very cool any which type you like.

Offline Ballywannabe

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 08:47:06 PM »
Put my vote in for SS - since that is all I own I must have a soft sport for them!  I hate to say it but I probably enjoy playing DMD more than EM, but I enjoy the sheer charm, nostalgia and simple cunning of EM's.  Heck, I love them all :D

cheers
Ian

Offline Pinprick

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 11:58:19 PM »
Even EM's have too many gewgaws, lights, ding dongs, clacketys, whirrs and lurid artwork.
I'm something of a senior pinhead - so here is an image of a pin which just EXUDES class.
We should all aspire to such elegance, taste and craftsmanship.
It comes from a (sadly) bygone era.
Funny thing is - my favourites are all DMD's and come from circa 1990 onwards.

I'm a cantankerous old fart . . . . .  <.> 
"I don't operate on a level playing field"