Author Topic: Angelo's pinball collection  (Read 9132 times)

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Re: Angelo's pinball collection
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2009, 07:49:42 AM »
Come on, then, give us the full story - including the location!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2009, 07:55:29 AM »
Ok, so today I added another two machines to the collection.

Completely different to all the other machines I own

Talk about a barn find, I had to post a pic to prove it.

I picked up a Bally Playboy and a Gottlieb Drop A Card.

Wow!

Spill the beans - what's the condition like under all that protective dust?
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2009, 09:02:02 AM »
PLAYBOY IN A BARN Some people should be shot but great for you. How did you get hold of these?

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2009, 10:03:06 AM »
Nice pickup Angelo, any Monaro's or GT's in the barn as well?

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2009, 10:59:22 AM »
They are just the coolest photos! I know that the word inspiration gets used all the time - but seeing 2 very collectable pins like that being found in a location like that is......inspirational!

Just shows that games are still out there to be found in the strangest place!

Well done Angelo, you must be stoked!

Did you know the 2 titles of these games before you went and looked at them?

Offline slammer

• Forum Posts:
  • Bendigo Victoria
  • Aussie Pinball - No bullshit, just pinball
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2009, 09:33:04 PM »
OK, here is the story, quite amusing really.

My Coca Cola refiller was in one day at work filling the machine, and we were chatting about the pinball I was going to buy next.

Then he remebered when filling the Coke machine at another shop, that there were several pinballs stored in a mezanine section of that shop.

Anyway I put it in the back of my mind, and heaps then happened personally, the worst being made redundant after 11 years of service and not getting paid out at all, no annual leave, no long service, no redundancy, no notice etc etc.

So last month I said f**k it, I will go around the shop and see if they were for sale.

I went around, and you would'nt beleive it, they guy had sold the buisness and taken the pinballs with him.

So I made some calls to some mates who might know of this guy, Bendigo is pretty small (100K POP) and I finally got through to him.

I asked if he wanted to sell any pinballs, and he told me which one, as he has quite a collection.

So we started talking and he said only two he would sell me were the Playboy and the Drop A Card, as all the others were scattered in mates houses being used.

So I head out one night with the guy, rain pissing down (some drought we are in!) approx 50 mins from Bendigo and get to the family farm with these two pinballs on a pallet surrounded by hay and a couple of possums wondering what the hell we were doing looking at a couple of pinballs in the middle of the night!

I told him that I would work out a price to offer him and get back to him in the next couple of days.

Anyway, quick run down with the machines.

Drop a Card is missing legs, every thing else is there, perfect backglass, plastics pretty good, only two cracks, playfield excellant except for the center section, for some weird reason, the factory mylar has had a knife or something sharp criss crossed against it, only 4" square of surface, I raised the mylar here and thank god it only cut through the mylar, playfield is unmarked under this area,cabinet is perfect no scratches just slightly faded paint.

I powered it up, I couldn't help myself, GI camew up and the a hi pitched noise developed so I shut it down, no smoke...

Overall a great EM for a first one for me.

Bally Playboy is missing the backglass, everything else is there, playfield is rooted, I will order a new one from CPR or Wayne I haven't made up my mind yet.
All the plastics are warped something feirce, I will order these as well,bottom of cabinet is just holding together,one side had been rubbed back to the wood, all boards are there and are original, no repairs, powered it up, same thing GI but nothing else not even the displays.

Overall the Playboy is a lot of work for me in the future, but still an original Playboy.

Cheers Angelo
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 09:35:22 PM by slammer »

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2009, 11:40:00 PM »
Thats a top story we can all dream of a barn find like that.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2009, 11:56:28 PM »

Angelo - GREAT STORY  @@*

Every Pinball MUST have a story for me - all mine have one ! Pins are a great talking point - one of the things about pins that never ceases to amaze me - people can play a pin they have not seen for 20 years, yet when they play it - they ALWAYS seem to return "Back in time" and recall a story about it..

Once you get these two machines up and running - I guarantee you will be telling the story over a beer for YEARS to come !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2009, 12:07:02 AM »
Excellent find! It obviously took a little bit of work to get on to this guy but it was worth it in the end.

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2009, 03:23:07 PM »
great story angelo, good work
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2009, 08:15:21 PM »
That is such an AWESOME story Angelo!

You know what? Seeing at the start of the story you said you got put off work and really got stuffed about - then this excellent karma comes your way.

Thanks so much for sharing this amazing story!

Brought a huge smile to my face  ^^^

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2009, 08:39:40 PM »
Great stuff Angelo.

Can wait for the resto threads.  You are very lucky to find both those machines!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2009, 11:13:44 PM »
Thanks for sharing, there's nothing like hearing about these odd finds - well maybe having one myself would be like hearing about one, only better!  :lol
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline slammer

• Forum Posts:
  • Bendigo Victoria
  • Aussie Pinball - No bullshit, just pinball
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2009, 10:55:23 PM »

OK, so really a pinball, but this is my latest toy.

A 1961 Rock-Ola 100 model 1484 wall mounted jukebox.

It was listed for sale here a while ago, I picked it up on Easter Monday (720 Km round trip) and am looking forward to restoring this machine.

Cheers Angelo

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2009, 10:58:18 PM »
Thats a fantastic looking Juke mate would love to get hold of an old em jukebox to restore but the funds dont allow it. One day i might have to do a trade for my R89 one day