Author Topic: Pinball article in today's Newcastle Herald  (Read 257 times)

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
Pinball article in today's Newcastle Herald
« on: January 11, 2010, 08:18:36 PM »
Just flicking through today's Newcastle Herald (11/1/10) and came across a pinball-related article . Good read .

Offline MrMaloo

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
Re: Pinball article in today's Newcastle Herald
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 08:19:08 PM »
Sorry it's a bit hard to read guys ...  #@#
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 08:21:11 PM by CruiserMan »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 08:40:24 PM »
A good read.
A few major mistakes were made in the article.  !*!

They said a few times that by the time the early 1980's came around, pinball was basically dead.

Shame the author of the newspaper article didnt realise that pinball machines were still selling reasonably well to the late 90's.
He didnt realise that in the early to mid 1990's that some titles sold 12 to 14 thousand units.

AND WHO SAID WE ARE A SMALL BATCH OF HARDCORE HOBBYISTS ?

Its a shame the newspaper article didnt talk about how the pinball Industry is absolutely THRIVING in Australia, TODAY !.

Anyway, we all know how friggin great and alive this industry is. And it can only get bigger i believe.  ^^^  ^^^  ^^^
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 11:30:21 PM by caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline MrMaloo

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 08:42:58 PM »
Yeah I think they made their first mistake with the title Cavey ...

"When pinball was king" ...

As far as I'm concerned it still is !!   ^^^

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 08:44:52 PM »
Del Reiss in the photo is the owner of Bumper Action in Melbourne
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 09:05:52 PM »

It is rare to come across an article in the media to promote the hobby. Shame there was not much research done.

The 80's was ONLY the birth of the Video Game era - NOT the end of the Pinball era

Can someone remind me of when Addams Family was released and how many units were sold  &^& &^&

sounds like the article was written in the 80s  %.% %.%
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 09:46:38 PM »
good to see pinball in the media  ()

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 11:26:37 PM »
I hope pinball lives on for years to come.
the only thing i fear is when the overseas pinball well dries up.
just think what its going to be like when the dealers cant find enough pins overseas to fill a container.
you can't tell me that this day will never come. Lets face it there were only X amount of each pin made, and out of those how many have been stripped for parts, damaged beyond repair or ended up in land fill?
 !!! !!! !!!
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 09:12:58 AM »

just think what its going to be like when the dealers cant find enough pins overseas to fill a container.
you can't tell me that this day will never come. Lets face it there were only X amount of each pin made, and out of those how many have been stripped for parts, damaged beyond repair or ended up in land fill?
 !!! !!! !!!

What about the mum and dad buyers getting them for rumpus rooms in the last few years. In say 10 years the kids maybe sick of the machine, it will prob have died from lack of maintenance, uses too much power anyway, and will be considered a waste of space. Thats where we will score some bargains, and there will be alot of them! I wont be wrong  %$%

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 09:27:19 AM »
I hope pinball lives on for years to come.
 !!! !!! !!!

I don't think that will be a problem, there are PLENTY of machines to fill the containers. I recall a dealer publishing an article that Europe was dry of pinball machines - I Think it was 3-4 years ago. If that is the case, why are there so many containers heading out of Europe destined for Australia ? It WILL dry up "one day" - but not for years. Locally, there will be PLENTY of machines changing hands. These machines are already here, and will change hands in time.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 10:17:47 PM »
From what i have heard the people who are importing pins by the container load are finding it harder and harder to have thier containers filled with excellent or very good condition popular titles.
One of the fellows i know of who has been importing for a few years has said that when he first started getting container loads in it would only take a couple of weeks for the people who he is buying them off to fill a container with A grade titles in excellent condition. Now it takes 2 to 3 months to fill one with a combination of A and B grade titles in fair to good condition.
Then when they get to Australia he needs to do a lot more work to them to get them up to scratch. So he has to sell them for a higher price to pay for all the cabinet decals and playfield repairs.
It doesn't matter how much cash he offers them to get the excellent pins, they just can't find them. And it is taking longer for the overseas parties to fill the containers each time.
Most of the 'cream' is gone. So this means pin prices are going to increase if demand stays the same or increases.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)