Author Topic: Prices getting good for a LCD pinmame cabinet project..  (Read 476 times)

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
Prices getting good for a LCD pinmame cabinet project..
« on: January 18, 2010, 06:49:01 PM »
With the price of desktop PC and LCD screens dropping so much...its almost prime time for me to start a project Ive been interested in for a while now...A dedicated future pinball/pinmame cabinet...

It would not replace a real pin as I has some of them already..lol...but to have a pin with 100 odd machine inside it to play around with would be cool...Im more keen to run Future pinball in it and play mostly old EMs on it..Future pinball just looks soooo crisp on screen...

You can even buy a usb digital plunger and it has motion sensor for nudging

anyone else given any thoughts as to building one at all???

lots of them on you-tube....
I like the look of this one...but am thinking a little bigger...maybe 32" screen for the playfield as you can get 32"LCD for around $600 these days...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urMqrsoRYdw[/youtube]&feature=related"]YouTube- Mini Virtual Pinball
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline el_timbo86

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
http://www.aussiearcade.com.au/showthread.php?t=26004

Hey Rollerball,

If you need any help with the build, just shout - i just finished off this project, and am on the Hyperspin team over on their forums. I can help you getting your tables working in HyperPIN etc...If you were ever in Geelong, your more than welcome to come and check it out...to see how it plays.

el_timbo

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
Your build looks fantastic....
So whats your thoughts on how much better it is to play pinmame/future pinball as a dedicated machine instead of just on a desktop/laptop...
Must be heaps better
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline el_timbo86

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
I must admit, while the cabinet will NEVER be an experience on par with a real pinball machine, it gives a very good simulation of one. Since the release of Visual Pinball 9, the physics engine has been updated, and new table recreations have started to pop up. Some of the Visual Pinball authors at the moment are very talented, and are creating games from EMs, through to late 90's tables.

The ability to play through the ruleset of machines you will never see sited is great.

I built this machine before starting my Funhouse restoration, and i'm glad i did. I'm hanging to play Funhouse, so i'll just have to stick to the simulation in the meantime...

There are a few videos of my 'Pinball Tales' machine being played here on my Youtube channel...

Thanks for the kind words, and if you need any help -> just shout!

el_timbo

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Great looking build.....Very good craftsmanship on the cabinet too and the artwork you drew up fits the theme perfectly.

Awesome stuff.   ^^^

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
do you like future pinball???Also what PC do you have to run your machine??
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
Been thinking more about this....and think a cheap way would be to make the cab with the screens and not put a pc inside it....that way I can use the desktop that I have a home and just hook it up when I want....will make it a smaller desktop style...24" playfield and probably around 17" backglass screen....that way I can take out the cost of the PC
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
http://www.aussiearcade.com.au/showthread.php?t=26004

Hey Rollerball,

If you need any help with the build, just shout - i just finished off this project, and am on the Hyperspin team over on their forums. I can help you getting your tables working in HyperPIN etc...If you were ever in Geelong, your more than welcome to come and check it out...to see how it plays.

el_timbo

That is bloody awesome work mate, look forward to seeing it in the flesh one day  ^^^

Offline bossgp

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
I have built many of these now they look and play great.
el_timbo86 designed the cabinet artwork for me and well the rest is just history really.

Offline el_timbo86

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
Thanks for the kind words on the build guys!

BossGP, glad your happy with the art set still - Your machine looks great!

I steer clear of Future Pinball, mainly due to its erratic framerates. If i had a beefy PC, it may be ok - but even on my desktop PC, some tables get a little laggy, which instantly reminds you that your not playing a REAL machine...

Visual Pinball on the other hand, is great - as from the beginning its primary goal was to achieve a consistently high framerate on the ball travel. This makes playing the tables a much more realistic experience for the user.

The PC i have in the cabinet isnt anything overly powerful. It had a low level Core 2 Duo, 2 GB of generic RAM, 80GB Hdd, onboard sound, and a 1GB 9400gt Nvidia card (with dual outputs for obvious reasons).

***************************IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING BUILDING ONE OF THESE USE A NVIDIA CARD WITH 1GB DDR RAM AS A MINIMUM****

Visual Pinball 9 ONLY enables hardware rendering on Nvidia cards for some reason. If using Ati, blurring and corrupt textures appear and behave strangely. 1GB of RAM is required for textures, as some of the more demanding tables such as TZ, CFTBL have a lot of animating images...

Hope this helps some guys out, and when i finish my Funhouse restore, ill have some local guys round to check out both machines...

timbo

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
simply stunning!!! i must build one of these. Well done!

Offline Zorn

• Forum Posts:
What would you guys charge to build one of these cabs for me? first a complete build and then maybe one without the pc but with buttons, cp, etc?

Offline bossgp

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Ok you asked for prices here is my costing
Custom hand made cabinet made of 18 mm plywood include back DMD speaker board and speaker grills
New Bally/Williams coin door,legs,side trim,lock down bar,front molding,glass moldings,leg brackets,leg bolts,Tilt assembly,top glass, back glass
Computer CORE 2 DUO, 4GB ,160 GB HDD,NVIDIA 1GB VGA CARD,650 W PSU,
ipac, buttons,switches,wiring,1000 watt car amp, 2 x speakers,1 x sub woofer , cooling fans,
32 inch playfield lcd 1920 x 1080 full hd 85 - 100mhz(Playfield), 26 inch full hd lcd 1280 x 1024 85-100 mhz (backbox)
5 pc artwork set

$5500 with GST
new version will have 37 inch lcd to replace 32 inch
each machine is custom built and takes 6 to 8 weeks to build

Offline scumpond

• Forum Posts:
Ok you asked for prices here is my costing
Custom hand made cabinet made of 18 mm plywood include back DMD speaker board and speaker grills
New Bally/Williams coin door,legs,side trim,lock down bar,front molding,glass moldings,leg brackets,leg bolts,Tilt assembly,top glass, back glass
Computer CORE 2 DUO, 4GB ,160 GB HDD,NVIDIA 1GB VGA CARD,650 W PSU,
ipac, buttons,switches,wiring,1000 watt car amp, 2 x speakers,1 x sub woofer , cooling fans,
32 inch playfield lcd 1920 x 1080 full hd 85 - 100mhz(Playfield), 26 inch full hd lcd 1280 x 1024 85-100 mhz (backbox)
5 pc artwork set

$5500 with GST
new version will have 37 inch lcd to replace 32 inch
each machine is custom built and takes 6 to 8 weeks to build

nice way to double your money... an exploit someone who doesnt fully understand the costs involved , not surprising comming from you an el timbo the scum who hang out at hyperpin forums an take other people hard work  edit there vp tables an pass them off as your own between eltimbo unclewilly an destruk the visual pinball scene has gone to hell with cowboys now to finish the final string on the hack pinmame to play the latest stern roms cant wait for the reaction hacked pinmame an 6 stern tables running in u guessed it FP f**k your VP shite .... we told you we'd be back with a vengance
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 05:27:57 AM by scumpond »

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
OK, we do prefer a slightly higher level of civility around here...

If the buyer doesn't want to pay that much they can get one off someone else or build their own.