Author Topic: removing insert decals - your thoughts please.  (Read 320 times)

Offline judgeboz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
removing insert decals - your thoughts please.
« on: January 29, 2010, 10:27:13 AM »
Just wondering the best method used by others to remove old cracked/worn playfield insert decals. I have a few decals to removed before applying new ones. Currently Im scraping it off with my finger nail. Should I be using a razer blade or some high grade sandpaper?

Offline Pinprick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
Re: removing insert decals - your thoughts please.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 12:46:47 PM »
I use a sharp chisel of appropriate width and CAREFULLY scrape away the decal while trying tp keep scratches to the insert to a minimum. Don't use a mallet or anything to propel the chisel -  I find that chisels give great control because of their handle length and blade widths.
Follow up with turps or shellite to remove any old glue residue.
My next move is to build up the surface of the cleaned insert with spray can acrylic clear top coat (car parts stores have this) be sure to mask and block sand between coats until you are happy the clear build up is flush with the p/f surface.
Then of course apply the decal using some sort of slipping agent to set it accurately.
Hope this helps.
"I don't operate on a level playing field"

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: removing insert decals - your thoughts please.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 12:50:09 PM »
On my Funhouse - I completely removed the insert, soaked in a bit of isocol alcohol and rubbed it with 800grit scotchbright pad.  Came off clean and looked 100% with new decal and clear.