Author Topic: Countdown Restorations  (Read 1434 times)

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
Countdown Restorations
« on: December 13, 2008, 03:48:25 PM »
At Nino's request, I will post some information on the repair/minor restoration of a Gottlieb Countdown Pinball.

For those that may not no me, System 1 Gottlieb Pinballs have been my passion for many years and I hate to see one of these parted out.  I wrote a small article once in the Flipper Arcade review magazine that was around and spoke of my passion for these machines, some of you may have read it.

Anyway, the repair of these Countdowns is done adhoc for me as I tend to jump from one area of the machine to the next as I get boared easy.  I also enjoy the electronic repair more then the cleaning of the machine etc, so I usally end up working alot on getting things working rather then looking good first.  I then once its working tend to clean and play, clean and play as I go along.  I also find that this gives me time to iron out any electrical issues as I am doing cleaning etc as I continually play the machines over the weeks or months of the full restore and this assists with ensuring they are reliable. 

Unfortunatly I did not take any before shots prior to today, so some of you may or may not have seen the condition of these machines at Mark C place.  Like all these project machines, nothing is impossible and all that is required is a little time and patience and TLC.

One had the biggest ugliest dead spider in it that I had seen.

Anyway to date this is what has been done.

Both machines have had the playfields removed from the cabinets and the cabnets cleaned internally and externally, and yes with Nifiti as Nino does.  However I do not go to the trouble Nino does of removing the transformers etc.  Nino does a much more thourough job then I and I hope one day to have his patience in this area.

Both machines have had new 240v plugs fitted and with insulated pins for compliance to AS3000.

All playfield plastics and posts were removed and cleaned.  Playfields were cleaned thouroughly.  I did not remove the protective covering (mylar) and this is still currently in place.

I then started on the electronics and had to fit 8 player displays and 2 ball/credit displays, some of the displays required repair and most re-charging as they were dim.  These have been fitted to one machine only at this stage.  Then had to repair two CPUs.  I have attached a picture of the boards I was working with (eight in total) and swapped components to get two operating.  Including swapping a spider chip, these are a pain in the ass to desolder.  Anyway have both CPUs somewhat working at this stage.  Both still require further repair but from not working at all they at least now function with faults.  I have diagnosed the faults and just need to sit down and replace some components .  One backbox also required new edge connectors as these were badly corroded so these have been fitted to one machine.

As can be seen one machine is further advanced then the others i.e One has the playfield re-installed, minus the plastics & rubbers, CPU working (with minor display fault).

The other is waiting for me to repair the cabinet that has come apart, probably tackele this between Xmas & New Year.

Have quickly cleaned all surface rust from the exterior of the coin doors and cabinet rails etc on both.  Still to buy the rust remover recommended by Nino to tackle some other areas.

One machine I will keep in my collection, the other being done for a freind.
Will keep you posted.

Cheers

Dean
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Countdown Restorations
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 05:58:19 PM »
Can't see any pics Dean.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 06:11:29 PM »

Dean - I have about a dozen or so pictures before you bought the games. Do you want me to email them to you, or host them so you can link to them ?

They are just "before" shots"..
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 06:38:24 PM »
Nino, yes please email them to me and I will post them, they would be good for me to keep anyway, thanks ()

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 07:32:57 PM »
Nino, yes please email them to me and I will post them, they would be good for me to keep anyway, thanks ()

Emails sent !

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
Ok heres some previous pics:

Backbox internal previous

Countdown Backbox previous

Playfield previous 1

Playfield previous 2

« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 10:23:59 PM by Dean Morgan »

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 09:48:24 PM »

Great pix  :lol

I fixed up the formatting for you Dean - You only need to copy and paste the url between IMG /IMG brackets..

The first picture does not point to anything ?

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »
And some new pics:

Backbox Now

Inside Backbox Now

MPU repair board, boards & more boards

Playfield in progress 1

Playfield in progress 2

Playfield Today 1

Pin Today

Pin Today

Will load further pics later.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 10:24:52 PM by Dean Morgan »

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 11:39:20 PM »

Looking Good, Dean... #*#

what are your plans ?

Will you be keeping one machine and selling the other ?

The ball arch - Planning on repainting the white area. I was thinking that I would have a go at it if I had this machine..

If the contact (mylar) is anything like the Sinbad - it will come off without any problems. Just in case you choose to go down that path. I would say there is a pristine playfield two hours away !!

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 08:13:26 AM »

Looking Good, Dean... #*#

what are your plans ?

Will you be keeping one machine and selling the other ?

The ball arch - Planning on repainting the white area. I was thinking that I would have a go at it if I had this machine..

If the contact (mylar) is anything like the Sinbad - it will come off without any problems. Just in case you choose to go down that path. I would say there is a pristine playfield two hours away !!

Nino,  only one of the two Countdowns belongs to me.  The pics are of the first one I am restoring and is the most advanced and does not belong to me.  The other has commenced but I have been spending more time on this one.  The one that does not belong to me I assume will be sold by the owner.  Between the two of them there were parts missing as such I have removed from one to get this one up and running.  I have ordered yesterday new targets for my machine and some metal parts from PBR.  I will order some flipper parts from RTBB as these are also missing from under one playfield.

The machine I own will be a keeper,  and fully restored over a few years.  My aim is to evantually (before I leave this world, buried in a pin cabinet as a coffin, with backbox sticking out of ground and player one score displaying my year of birth and player 2 date of death  %.%) is to own all 16 system 1 machines.  ONLY 13 to go, dont tell my wife, she recons I have enough pins already  *)*.  Will evantually remove the mylar as you state.  Regarding the ball arch yes, I would like to repaint this, any sugestions on how?  Could it be sanded and sprayed from a can or would this look shit?  What about poweder coating?  Apron is the same, I will talk to PBR and see if they have any aprons or decals as it is these two areas (apron & ball arch) that detract from the machine.  Cheers Dean

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 08:48:20 AM »
Dean,

So it was you that took the plunge on these - a good thing as I'm sure you will go all out.

You ask about repainting the top ball arch - I have always done these with a can and they end up looking awesome. Just sand back to metal, prime and then respray with several light coats of white. Funny with this little arch looking virgin white how fantastic they look when done!

Most importantly is Countdown is one of these best pins from this era - she just rocks.

PBR stock heaps of parts for this game, some examples are:

http://www.pbresource.com/hauntedhouse.html

Keep the restoration and the pix coming and top marks for saving such a classic Gottlieb!

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 10:22:28 AM »
Apron is the same, I will talk to PBR and see if they have any aprons or decals as it is these two areas (apron & ball arch) that detract from the machine.  Cheers Dean

Hi Dean, I asked PBR about aprons last week and they said they didn't have any. Try looking through Daina's Mr Pinball classifieds here http://www.xmission.com/~daina/parts/parts_for_sale.html
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 10:24:33 AM by Creech »

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 10:57:42 AM »
Apron is the same, I will talk to PBR and see if they have any aprons or decals as it is these two areas (apron & ball arch) that detract from the machine.  Cheers Dean

Hi Dean, I asked PBR about aprons last week and they said they didn't have any. Try looking through Daina's Mr Pinball classifieds here http://www.xmission.com/~daina/parts/parts_for_sale.html

I *may* have a decal for System 1 - will check later today

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 11:09:11 AM »

[/quote]I *may* have a decal for System 1 - will check later today[/quote]

Wow that would be great if you do, I have PMed you
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 12:07:53 PM by Dean Morgan »

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 11:49:17 AM »
Dean, you seem to be getting your quote tags muddled up in your posts. Can you please check them before posting. When you want to quote something, there needs to be a "quote" tag at the beginning and a matching "/quote" tag on the end.