Author Topic: Countdown Restorations  (Read 1435 times)

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Re: Countdown Restorations
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 11:51:58 AM »
Just sent an email to both Steve Young (PBR) and also Donal Murphy (who makes alot of his parts) asking of there has ever been any thought in making reproduction decals for 1960s and 1970s pins

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 12:19:27 PM »

Coming along nicely... Interesting to note you are using the original boards - and they work  ^^^

Just make sure you do the ground mods, and replace connectors if required. The 5V capacitor on the power supply should be replaced. Just my 5c..

The woodgrain sections - I only ever sand down the section near the plunger. I use the end of an old billiard cue and wrap some 320 Grit and then sand the channel. Bit harder up the top. You could sand and then try some lacquer.. I guess Gavin or one of the the others could advise..

The ball arch plate - Hard one - I guess if you are game to do what Tony does - Prime / Paint - it would look great.. The apron would need decals - I feel there could be a viable solution in the future !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 01:43:56 PM »
that pf looks like it'll come up real nice!!! Countdown is yet another old fav of mine.

Regarding the top arch.. fairly simple to repaint. I painted the top arches on all of my games that had painted arches. I usually go to Supercheap Auto and buy a spray can each of acrylic primer/filler, acrylic white and a tin of wax & grease remover (prepsol). The prepsol is important for removing contaminants (oil/grease etc) that will cause "fish eyes" in the primer/paint, and to make sure the paint adheres to the metal properly.

I completely strip the old paint from the arch, sand it back smooth with 220 grit paper then wipe it down with prepsol on a rag, followed by a wipedown with a clean dry rag before several light to medium coats of primer.

After the primer is completely dry (allow at least half a day) i lightly sand the primer back smooth with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper (sanding wet, with water) before drying it off completely. Then i wipe it down again with prepsol on a rag followed by a wipe down with a clean rag.

Then its ready for the white paint. 2 or 3 light to medium coats is usually enough, the last coat can be sprayed a little heavier/slower (lay the arch flat and you wont get runs). the heavier coat gives more gloss, if you like /want that look.

Thats the way i do my top arches/aprons etc... hope this info is useful

Cheers... Mitch

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 02:02:16 PM »

Great Tip, Mitch.. I've never really used Prepsol, so I'll buy a can next time I'm at bunnings.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 04:11:10 PM »
Im not sure if Bunnings have Prepsol or not.. if not it,(or its equivalent in another brand name) can be bought, as i said from Supercheap or any good autoparts store. Car spraypainters use it when prepping car panels for paint, i also use it for removing mylar glue from playfields.

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 05:55:46 PM »
Thanks Tony for pointing that out, appreciated.

The set I have are not broken at all and have cleaned up nicely, so wont be needing them, but thanks anyway for pointing it out as if I needed them I would not have seen them unless you pointed them out.

Cheers Dean
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2009, 12:47:38 AM »
Looking good dean I really love those blue displays.  And thanks for the tips on painting the ball arches mitch only thing i dont do is the prepsol.  Ive doen some arches 2 or 3 times till trying to stop the fish eyes