Author Topic: I'VE HAD SUCH A GREAT RUN SOMETHING WAS DUE TO FAIL.......  (Read 1818 times)

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
I'VE HAD SUCH A GREAT RUN SOMETHING WAS DUE TO FAIL.......
« on: February 06, 2010, 10:40:37 PM »
Hi,

As the title reads I've not had a pinball fail or issue for ages and today it happened-my GORGAR reset when the ball went into the snake pit ^.^  and later when I hit the flipper buttons quickly a few times, I thought F#*K not the GORGAR. Off comes the BG as I shit myself I'm going to smash it everytime I remove her :D so as my electronics are at best minermal I pushed all the plugs in and checked the batteries and have played several more games without any problems, who knows maybe it won't happen again but I bet it does ^&^

Peter

Offline Ant68

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Hi,

As the title reads I've not had a pinball fail or issue for ages and today it happened-my GORGAR reset when the ball went into the snake pit ^.^  and later when I hit the flipper buttons quickly a few times, I thought F#*K not the GORGAR. Off comes the BG as I shit myself I'm going to smash it everytime I remove her :D so as my electronics are at best minermal I pushed all the plugs in and checked the batteries and have played several more games without any problems, who knows maybe it won't happen again but I bet it does ^&^

Peter

I know how you feel, had a fault with my MB  .After checking the normal things with out any luck I pressed in the main game EPROM and whammy all fixed .
Thinking back what my of caused  it ,I moved the pin to the left 6" and may have dislodged it  !@#   

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Pete - Probably the 40 pin interconnect. The boards may need a little TLC  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Not the Gorgar!!!

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Not the Gorgar!!!

Yep the GORGAR!!! Will have a bash today after work and see how the old girl goes.

Nino boards had a going over around 3 years ago and alls been good-apparently the 40pin plug was checked and cleaned up so who knows. Maybe its time to send the boards somewhere for a going over?

Peter

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
From what I understand, the 40 pin plug is the weakest point on any game from this time
replacing it is the best option

Offline silverball

• Forum Posts:
Now that its working peter, dont turn it on again *)*....problem solved ::)

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Not the Gorgar!!!

Yep the GORGAR!!! Will have a bash today after work and see how the old girl goes.

Nino boards had a going over around 3 years ago and alls been good-apparently the 40pin plug was checked and cleaned up so who knows. Maybe its time to send the boards somewhere for a going over?

Peter

Checked and cleaned up means nothing really - connectors are very old now and way beyond their projected life span... time to replace im afraid. Those pins have to be TIGHT! one jolt and signal loss for a nano second and you start to get reset faults. Wiggling the connectors have wiggled them into contact again..... but what wiggles in, wiggles out just as easy

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Pete,

With the symptoms you describe I'd be looking hard at the power supply board and the large filter cap before I went wild and replaced inter-board connectors.

Sounds like the load imposed by the snake pit magnet or flipper is causing the cpu reset.  The quick test is to measure the AC voltage across the filter cap to gauge how well it is performing. As performance of the filtering drops off the AC voltage will rise.  I'd also have a look at the reset signal test point on the cpu board - needs to be high, but you may not see it drop without an oscilloscope.  I'm sure this covered in the pinrepair guides.

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
Now that its working peter, dont turn it on again *)*....problem solved ::)

Spoken like a true professional! Love it Dave!  :lol :lol :lol
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Not the Gorgar!!!

Peter

Checked and cleaned up means nothing really - connectors are very old now and way beyond their projected life span... time to replace im afraid. Those pins have to be TIGHT! one jolt and signal loss for a nano second and you start to get reset faults. Wiggling the connectors have wiggled them into contact again..... but what wiggles in, wiggles out just as easy

100% Agree - You don't "check" the interconnects - if they are the originals - they must be replaced.

Pete,

With the symptoms you describe I'd be looking hard at the power supply board and the large filter cap before I went wild and replaced inter-board connectors.

Sounds like the load imposed by the snake pit magnet or flipper is causing the cpu reset.  The quick test is to measure the AC voltage across the filter cap to gauge how well it is performing. As performance of the filtering drops off the AC voltage will rise.  I'd also have a look at the reset signal test point on the cpu board - needs to be high, but you may not see it drop without an oscilloscope.  I'm sure this covered in the pinrepair guides.

Again - 100% agree - Cap costs less than $5.

Pete - Have a look at the TW boards and then the Gorgar Boards. The filter cap is replaced as part of what I call "Preventative Maintenance" - along with the Interconnects.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
 *!@ *!@ *!@ Funny thing is the heart beat sound continues but the machine goes into attract mode with all playfield lights flashing as if the games waiting for someone to play? !!! this is me after it happened and the wife said "shit!  man up would ya" only joking..Thanks for the help guys and Nino I'll compare it against the TW.

Peter

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
If Gorgar is failing often enough that you are pretty sure you can get it to fail during game play, then I'd just swap the power supply board from Time Warp into Gorgar. That'll tell you if the problem is inter board connector or psu related.   

The power supplies are practically identical. Gorgar will / may / should have the bigger filter cap - because it is effectively a three flipper machine, but to test normal play it will be ok to stick the TW one in as you would never in normal play press both flippers and have the snake magnet energised simultaneously.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
If Gorgar is failing often enough that you are pretty sure you can get it to fail during game play, then I'd just swap the power supply board from Time Warp into Gorgar. That'll tell you if the problem is inter board connector or psu related.   

The power supplies are practically identical. Gorgar will / may / should have the bigger filter cap - because it is effectively a three flipper machine, but to test normal play it will be ok to stick the TW one in as you would never in normal play press both flippers and have the snake magnet energised simultaneously.

Yep good idea-these things are wierd hey as I've just played 10 games got a highest score got the Snake pit and given the flippers an extra work out and NO reset/but I'm not kidding myself as I've found problems in SS just don't go away or do they?

Peter