Author Topic: 1974 Taito Speed Race restoration  (Read 4566 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
1974 Taito Speed Race restoration
« on: February 17, 2010, 10:16:07 PM »
Hi guys,

I know its not a pin, but I've taken on a small project in between other jobs at the moment.  I picked up an original 1974 Taito Speed Race.  I have fond memories of this game and I do believe it would have been one of the first video games I ever played around 1980.  I remember it being sited at the Safeways (yes a video outside a supermarket!) in Croydon.
Anyway, the machine is 100% original and no major hacks.  All the marquee's and other plastics are original and in good condition.  The cabinet is rough but fixable.
I really love the period laminate on the sides of the cabinet.  It has a few chips, but still in good condition for a game thats 36+ years old.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 10:17:53 PM by MartyJ »

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: 1974 Taito Speed Race restoration
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 10:19:45 PM »
The rear door was missing completely.  I will make a new one up to fit correctly with lock etc.

The inside of the cabinet has 36 years worth of dirt and grime.  First game I've ever worked on with no bonus coins inside the cabinet!

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 10:20:39 PM »
You haven't gone to the DARK SIDE have you Marty?  #@# Will be keen to see what magic you can spin on this resto. Always good to mix it up a bit. Good Luck
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 10:21:11 PM »
Some of the brackets inside are corroded.  I think the drink seals have let go and liquid got under the glass.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 10:23:15 PM »
The corroded metal from the glass supports have been removed and stripped.  The checker plate around the lower section of the cabinet was in poor shape and removed.  All metal stripped back to metal, 2K primer sprayed.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 10:24:33 PM »
2k black applied once primer set.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 10:25:45 PM »
Once the black had set, quick shot of 2k clear for extra protection.  Not necessary on the internal brackets but done nonetheless.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 10:27:05 PM »
Cabinet completely gutted (well almost).   Cleaned and will be sanded to a clean fresh factory finish.  Still a lot of work to go here.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 10:28:59 PM »
At some stage in its life the front part of the cabinet has been painted.  I have no idea why but its being stripped and prepared for painting in its correct colour.  The area around the bezel and inner sides are black.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 10:30:02 PM »
Once the cabinet had been sanded to a suitable finish, 2k primer applied and ready for another sand!

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 10:31:58 PM »
You haven't gone to the DARK SIDE have you Marty?  #@# Will be keen to see what magic you can spin on this resto. Always good to mix it up a bit. Good Luck

Hehe...Naah Rob just keeping busy.  I always prefer to have a few jobs coming through the workshop!

I'm still a pin enthusiast but being a classic machine and I had fond memories of the game - I couldn't say no to restoring it.

Offline thefasteddy69

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Southern Highlands
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 10:38:58 PM »
Hi Marty,

Looks great. Not sure if this helps you but there was guy in Ballarat who was parting out a ( I think) a Speed Race a while back.

He had a lot of stuff stored up. Can pass on his details if you like. Keep posting.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 10:41:38 PM »
Hi Marty,

Looks great. Not sure if this helps you but there was guy in Ballarat who was parting out a ( I think) a Speed Race a while back.

He had a lot of stuff stored up. Can pass on his details if you like. Keep posting.

Thanks mate, its already on its way to Melbourne!  I just needed the pedal assembly but nice to have a spare steering assembly as well!

The only part I need to source is the speaker cover (to keep it original) and the coin door cover.  I know of a couple of these machines in Australia - (I think one member here has one) so I might get some detailed photos and measurements of the coin door and I'll manufacture one to original specs!

Offline wonder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 10:46:49 PM »
Looks a lot better Marty.Looks like you had thirty years of dust in there as well.I got the delux speed racer,so if you need close up of the doors ect let me no.
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 10:57:31 PM »
Looks a lot better Marty.Looks like you had thirty years of dust in there as well.I got the delux speed racer,so if you need close up of the doors ect let me no.

Thanks mate will do.