Author Topic: EB's Doctor gets a house-call  (Read 349 times)

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
EB's Doctor gets a house-call
« on: February 13, 2010, 06:15:57 PM »
Background:
I bought my Dr Who pretty cheap, its low fade, almost perfect PF, sweet plastics, new DMD, plays sweet but.........at some stage it has had miosture inside the cab. This has led to surface rust on brackets that are attached to the underside of the PF. I was fully aware of this issue when I bought the pin, and took a gamble I guess because it was cheap. Some of the rust is minor surface, some has eaten a mm or 2. I know alot, maybe most guys wouldnt touch a pin like this. I thought hard about it, but hey its game I love, and cool if it can be saved. None of the PCBs are effected.

Fix: well hopefully its a long term fix! I took my chinese dremel out, and ground down the rust, careful to leave a layer of rust for application of Ranex (rust converter). A few days after grinding off the rust, and applying the Ranex it looked pretty decent (alot better anyway).

Before example:

After:

Next issue was the Mini PF. It was fixed before I took delivery, but after a few days play one of the mushroom buttons became sticky, and I started to get a mini PF opto error. I played the machine up until today, I just wasnt game to remove the Mini PF.
But after some months consideration, and after reading this nice guide: http://members.shaw.ca/tomblack/drwh...F%20repair.pdf I decided it was something I could do.

Took the mini PF out this morning, and have started the resto. I found that the sticky mushroom button's circlip was rubbing/getting stuck on a opto LED. The solder on that LED has broken away, and the LED itself is worn. I am unsure if this LED can be re-used, or I can just whack in another  !@#

I am considering placing a fibre or rubber washer between the opto PCB, and the plastic housing to slightly lower the LED. There is no adjustment to correct this issue, just looks like I get bodgy/inventive.

Few more pics:

So other than a good clean, and correcting this issue I should be able to return my doctor to full health soon. Well after Monday because I will get the Spurr's advice, and use the better gear at work.
 ()

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: EB's Doctor gets a house-call
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 06:29:38 PM »
Great work.  Looking forward to the updates..

I know someone else who took shares in ranex!  Great product.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 06:32:24 PM »

Ranex - My "old friend" returns !

Those Dalek buttons can stick - I usually remove them completely and soak in nifti, then give them a buff with Novus2.

Great progress !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 05:33:43 PM »
Re-soldered the opto boards, spaced the offending opto with a fibre washer, re-assembled mini pf, got it back in, and.............the third mushroom button stuck! Pulled the mini pf back out, added another fibre washer, wacked it back in and............no errors, and no sticky buttons!
:cool:

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 05:34:42 PM »
Yep Nino, Novus made a huge difference to the buttons.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 11:59:19 PM »

I have a "soft spot" for Dr Who - having watched countless episodes on ABC2 after "The goodies" - and I just find the game to be unique (for me) in that the playfield is more "open". After battling the daleks, that shot that goes behind the mini PF and spends a minute or so between the pop bumpers is a point in time where you can "catch your breath".

A fully reconditioned Dr Who is a great flowing game - maybe a little underrated.

Keep the updates coming Greg !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 09:43:04 AM »
I really want AFM, but cant go the big bucks for it.

After I had my first game on Dr Who it reminded me alot of the play on AFM. The doctor is a cool pin in its own right, but also for me it is a poor man's AFM  :lol