Author Topic: Moving Pinballs  (Read 260 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Moving Pinballs
« on: February 18, 2010, 07:50:28 PM »
Moving house in a couple of weeks and think I know what to do, but would like comfirmation. Getting a removalist to do the move. So my current checklist is:

remove the balls
remove the translite
lower the head

So should I cover it with something etc etc? I have move pinballs before but only one at a time not five in one hit. thanks in advance.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Moving Pinballs
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 08:58:03 PM »
Rob- I usually make sure the translite/bg is locked in place with keys removed..... then before folding the bb down i out either place a blanket or packing sponge in between the folded bb and cab.

This give you less movement with the bg/translites, less of a chance of breakages or damage.

I always remove the legs and balls as well when ever i move a pin.. Fold, or dismantle on older pins, the head to the cab and secure it.

Good luck with the move...
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 09:33:56 PM »
Rob- I usually make sure the translite/bg is locked in place with keys removed..... then before folding the bb down i out either place a blanket or packing sponge in between the folded bb and cab.

This give you less movement with the bg/translites, less of a chance of breakages or damage.

I always remove the legs and balls as well when ever i move a pin.. Fold, or dismantle on older pins, the head to the cab and secure it.

Good luck with the move...
Thanks mate will take your comments on board as I was thinking about removing the legs. Also wondering if I should put some coverings where they might tie the machines to the sides of the truck???

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 09:38:53 PM »
If they have moving blankets they should be fine with tie-downs as long as they are not stupidly tight - otherwise cardboard is pretty handy.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 09:44:04 PM »
If they have moving blankets they should be fine with tie-downs as long as they are not stupidly tight - otherwise cardboard is pretty handy.
thanks mate, I have access to lots of cardboard so I'll have some handy just in case.

I thought of maybe getting a work truck and do my own pinney move but they won't be under cover, so I think I'll trust the removalist  ^&^

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 10:36:09 PM »
If you can get some from your work etc. it's a good idea to put cardboard all around the cabinet (better to have too much than regret it later ) and then wrap it with that clear wrap stuff (it's kinda like huge rolls of cling wrap - not sure what you call it exactly) .

If you go with the removalists to move your pins then have a word to them and tell them to be EXTRA careful with them - you are PAYING THEM after all so they are obliged to follow your requests .

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 10:40:05 PM »
If you can get some from your work etc. it's a good idea to put cardboard all around the cabinet (better to have too much than regret it later ) and then wrap it with that clear wrap stuff (it's kinda like huge rolls of cling wrap - not sure what you call it exactly) .

If you go with the removalists to move your pins then have a word to them and tell them to be EXTRA careful with them - you are PAYING THEM after all so they are obliged to follow your requests .
We have a shit load of the bundling film wrapping stuff you're talking about, so I'm getting a clearer picture on what I can do to minimize damage. Thanks guys very much. Any othe rideas will be taken onboard for sure.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 01:17:43 AM »
Rob,

If you need any help give us a yell.  Happy to help you pack the machines.

Offline andrew (nob)

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 05:55:18 PM »
I recently bought a set of pinball dolly lifters from a guy called hi tech tony on ebay.
Here's a dead auction - but they keep coming up as he makes them
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Pinball-Trolly-Lifters-Dolly-Movers-Set-of-2-New_W0QQitemZ320481035131QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20100129?IMSfp=TL1001291710001r18152

On flat surfaces these are a godsend. I can re-arrange machines in my gamesroom on my own (and even wheel into the house) & really helped when I purchased my last machine which was a flat load.

andrew

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 01:04:15 AM »
I moved close to 30 pinball machines myself recently from one house to the other. I did it over a 2 day period with my brother, and a $99 a day hire truck=self drive. The pinball scates that hi=tech tony sells are a must.
I bought about 8 sets cause i knew i would have a production line of machines lined up and the skates were the go.

Without the skates, the machines are dead weight and may cause a serious back problem/torn disc etc. Remember, these machines are between 150 to 200 kilograms. Even a professional removalist is not really set up to move these without treating them just like a fridge on a trolley.

I say take advantage of any member your way who is willing to help pack and throw in his experience. If u are not moving too far, legs on could be an option.
It all depends on having pinball skates or not. Pin skates equals legs on. No skates means legs off and move them like a fridge.

Have fun. Moving the mongrels definately questions your sanity. It did mine. lol  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 01:13:16 AM »
Have fun. Moving the mongrels definately questions your sanity. It did mine. lol  ^^^

Very tempting! But I will let it slide this time.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 01:29:53 AM »
mmmmmmmm  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !