Author Topic: Shipping experiences (importing parts)  (Read 211 times)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Shipping experiences (importing parts)
« on: February 26, 2010, 07:48:53 PM »
I am wanting to buy a lot of parts from the USA
So at the moment I am trying to do some calculations to find out if it is worth it

I am hoping that if any one here has imported a pinball machine then that will give me an idea of the (shipping) cost involved

It will be a pallet of parts, the seller in the USA has experience, so I am not worried about their end

One pallet, it should weigh between 80-120 KG (so the same weight as a pinball)

Would anyone know how much this would cost in shipping?
I know I will also have to pay GST and other customs fees on its arrival

Also, is it likely I can get this pallet delivered to my door (Ballarat) or am I going to have to pick it up from Melbourne?

Any help would be appreciated (either post or via PM)

Pete

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Shipping experiences (importing parts)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 08:11:38 PM »
I just spent the afternoon in at Customs House and with the Quarrantine Service so i can help shed some light on your questions.

Firstly, the transport cost is determined by
1. Weight
2.Size-cubic volume.
The transport cost is determined by a calculation using both. A seafreight company can only tell you the price.

I just paid $500 USA to have a 200 kg item sent on a heat treated resin pallet from california to Brisbane. The Broker fees at the other end was $200.
The port/arrival fees for my 200 kg item was $400 aussie.
The customs cost was $250 aussie based on the purchase and shipping price combined, plus I then had to pay about $50 to have the Quarrantine service decide whether they would physically inspect the item or not. They decided not.
If they had of decided to do the full inspection, It would have cost me another $400 plus dollars.

I also note, that this paticular item was duties free. That can cost you another $300 to $400 based on a $2200 aussie purchase/shipping total.

Also, I did all the paperwork and leg work myself at this end and did not use a broker and i got the item customs cleared myself. If I had of used a broker, it would have cost m,e another $400.

If you want good info on anything to do with importing, you must go to the following customs website.   www.customs.gov.au

To see if and how much the duties payable are, go to the same website and look at the import/export drop down box.
then go to customs tarrif, then go to working tarrifs, then go to schedule 3, then go to classifications.
The phone number for Customs Australia wide is 1300 558 099.

I have a checklist of every document you will need to bring in any item from overseas and i can help with advice on how to do it the easiest way. PM me.

Also, brokers are out to rip u off at every turn, so I got professional advice from Customs and it all went very well.
Good luck. Its a minefield.  ^^^
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 08:13:40 PM by caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: Shipping experiences (importing parts)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 09:02:55 PM »
Thanks for that
Looks like I have some reading to do over the weekend

PS I like your avatar  ^^^