Author Topic: Independence Day or X-files??  (Read 490 times)

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Independence Day or X-files??
« on: February 27, 2010, 11:50:29 AM »
Hi-Anyone able to give me a report on which machine is the best? after something with abit of depth and have grown to like the Segas and there happens to be a couple on ebay <..>

Ta Peter
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 11:56:27 AM by GORGAR 1 »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Independence Day or X-files??
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 12:03:50 PM »
No offence Peter - but when I saw the title I thought it was going to be a poll for the worst ever Sega game! OK, all pinball machines have something - as for X-file, I'm not sure what it is, but ID is a pretty fun theme.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 12:09:37 PM »
Actually, I'm probably a little tough on ID - I recall playing one a couple of years back and wondering why it had such a low rep as it was quite fun. Didn't get many games so no idea as to depth though.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 12:18:04 PM »

I'd be leaving my money in my pocket if those two titles are being considered and wait for a better machine to appear. Neither og them hold any lasting appeal in my opinion

:2cents:
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 12:49:22 PM »
ID4 is a great action packed game-
X-files is a real POS, but neither have depth Peter, actually don't think Sega made games with depth
http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 12:57:36 PM »

ID4  to me would be the better one ,  x files  just lacked game play to me
but everyone is different , people like different things

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 01:37:54 PM »
Thanks guys-hopefully can "test drive" them in NZ soooon and maybe checkout some other nice titles.

Peter :D

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 06:41:29 PM »
I have to disagree with everyone here.   ^&(
I have both X-files and ID4.

Xfiles is a great machine. If u want a challenging, very fast game, X-files will do it for sure. The filing cabinet and multi-ball, the trap door on the playfield, the excellent audio and dot-matrix anamations. X-Files is a great game. Playfield toys are excellent. A unique game.

ID4 is great as well, If u want to hear and see some F-18 hornets screaming with the volume turned up, ID4 is a buzz.The Alien head opens up and catch's balls.The toys are great. The game plays fast. Its just unique as well.

There were not many of each made, and its not because they were no good, its because it was late 97 and early 98 and the whole pin scene was screwed by then. Most people have never played a game on either, or if they have, they have had 10 minutes and it aint enough to rate anything.

Play both machines at least a dozen times, and then you will know what i know. Both lots of fun and cheap to purchase.

Anyone who bags a Sega pinball, hasnt played one properly .lol
U cant go wrong Peter, both are fun and inexpensive. Lots of bang for ya buck i reckon.  ^^^
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 06:49:08 PM by caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 07:12:14 PM »
You are of course entitled to your opinions, but these games wouldn't make most people's Top 100, and generally the lack of interest in these games reflects the lack of things going for them.

Anyone who bags a Sega pinball, hasnt played one properly .lol

A bit too general there Brett, some can rate a game a lot quicker for playability than others. And one important aspect of judging a game includes artwork for example, and that makes a three second job on X Files - yuck!

Both lots of fun and cheap to purchase...

U cant go wrong Peter, both are fun and inexpensive. Lots of bang for ya buck i reckon.  ^^^

True, if the X Files was say $1,000 and ID say $1,200, but the games in question are $2200 each I think.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 07:20:41 PM »
pinnies4me, you are a hard man on segas thats for sure.  !*!  we all cant just love Bally Williams with the crazy pricing. lol
dont forget, your general lack of interest isnt everyones lack of interest.  &&

$2000 is a very fair n good price for each of x-files or ID4.

what else can u get really for 2 grand. these are both late 97 models and both play real fast and have great multiballs.
also, ya dont look at the artwork when you are playing a game or ten. lol

but, us sega lovers will never give up flying the sega flag. lol

« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 07:23:10 PM by caveoftreasures »

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 07:59:24 PM »
Have to agree Brett Sega's are fast games to play-the Twister I bought is a super fast game and I've had guys over who have never played a Sega before and can't believe how quick the game is and walk away really enjoying the game-yeah the artwork is different but hey I like the style of Segas/looking on youtude the X files looks like a quick game with some very nice modes and toys/will have to track one down for a game.  Keep the posts coming guys I enjoy all the feedback ^^^

Peter

Offline RaptorLawyer

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • Sekured custom sneakers
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 08:03:31 PM »
I gave X-files a crack as i am a massive fan of the show and was drawn in by the theme. Sadly the machine did disappoint me, yes its fast, but its also quite ugly and barren to look at. Would i pay $2200 for one? Not so much. I really really really wish this was a better machine.

ID4 on the other hand i really enjoyed, again i found the artwork a bit dull for my liking however the ramps are rewarding, it plays well and overall i'd add one to my room if it came along at the right price.
Kill each-other nicely please.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 08:09:30 PM »
Thanks for the in-sight into both machines.

Peter

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 08:28:36 PM »
find a good example of each machine down your way pete and play both a dozen games.
u might just end up wanting both. the light show on x-files is great. ID4 has screaming jet noises that can be cranked up.

go the segas  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 10:41:27 PM »
I've spent a bit of time playing X-files, I feel it was made with the latest stern philosophy, to make every part of the game accessable to newbies, where as, you can keep hitting the filing cabinet get it to move around lock your balls start mulitball ad nauseam.  It was fun for a quick blast and might suit someones first pin but I would definately grow tired of the lack of depth very quickly.
I cant comment on ID as I have never played it.