Author Topic: Why close threads ?  (Read 760 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Why close threads ?
« on: March 06, 2010, 10:09:01 PM »
I have to ask, why close threads. !@#

The topic was a interesting read because it is of major interest to anyone in the pinball scene.

No one ever said it was a state versus state thing. It was about peoples opinions on who should have a show and why. No one has a monopoly on a show. We all know that.
I will say, in utmost respect, that one member did get a bit personal, and what was written was a bit off base in my opinion, so why not edit that post, or ask the member to kindly rephrase what was written.

But, if every time people get a bit heated, we shld ask them to rewrite the post if it is a bit personal or over the top, and not close the threads.
Should we now not discuss the Expo again for a week, a month or 12 months ? I reckon re-open the thread and adjust the language of a few posts accordingly to bring things back on track. Whats wrong with speculation, the world is full of it and it keeps things interesting.I am sure editing a post is better than closing threads. How do we discuss this topic now ? I am sure everyone will be well behaved. lol
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Re: Why close threads ?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 10:58:26 PM »
Mods should close some discussions, especially when they deem it may hurt the reputation of the site or individuals/companies. We have to consider liable as well. That issue has runs its course 100 times in other threads, but closing a thread should never be done lightly.

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 11:18:40 PM »
I have to ask, why close threads. !@#
We close threads to stop them turning into a slanging match and getting off topic, as that expo thread was fast becoming. It doesn't assist anybody and only serves to create tension on the forum.

Cave, you're always banging on about keeping things positive and that thread was far from it so why the resistance to closing it?

If you want this forum to turn to pot then let us know so we can relax all the rules we have in place. Then you can ask yourselves in 12 months time why AP no longer exists. Is that what you really want? I don't as we have some exciting things in store for AP and I'm afraid if we let things go wild now then we may not be able to implement them later.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 11:20:48 PM »
Have spoken to the mods and tamed my post down in the interests of the forum. Extra ball is right... the discussion has been done in previous posts before last years Expo.. seems i am to expect it every year.
My post wasnt directed at anyone in particular... just general.. and yep i was heated  ^.^

Apologies if i offended the forum..

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 11:44:27 PM »

Greg is spot-on.

We have closed maybe 4 - 5 threads on AP since we started, which I think, it a good result. Why do we close threads ?

- Person attacks or defamation - Either we (mods) deem a post(s) to be inappropriate, or it is reported by another member
- A forum rule has been breached
- A Business or Company is named and allegations that may lead to legal action are threatened
- Topic "runs its course" or had simply swayed "off Topic" and has required a new topic to be created

I closed the thread because I the last few posts were becoming personal, and I personally know the two guys - and they are both great people just throwing a few punches. There were no other mods around at the time, and I had to leave the site for a couple of hours. It does not mean the discussion ends, I merely prevented it from escalating any further without an umpire.

As mods - we try to do our best, and we make judgment calls that are sometimes unpopular, but they will always be in the best interests of the site. We want everyone to enjoy their time on AP.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 12:12:04 AM »
Fair enough Mr Strangeways. Someone has to keep this ruly lot in order. lol  
The forum members shld be able to have a decent debate without name calling I agree.

It reminds me of the good old days of decals and copyright.  !^!

Anyway, since the sydney expo looks dead in the water, i guess it dont really matter much.
Perhaps they have run out of clunkers to flog.  !@#  !^!

See you guys in Melbourne for the real expo. lol  %$%

NOW, DONT CLOSE THIS THREAD. OK, GO ON. LOL  At least we all love arguing pinball.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 12:15:02 AM »

Cavey - These things happen from time to time, it does get hard to read between the lines in some cases.

Sydney Expo will happen mate - that's a fact !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 12:28:11 AM »
 !@# dead in the water ? Havent heard that it has been cancelled.
pinballaustralia.com

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 12:33:26 AM »
8 weeks til it is supposedly on and no-one knows anything and no venue has been found.

Should be a ripper. Excellent marketing and the website for it is actioned packed and full of info. NOT.

I am not a betting man, but i reckon its not looking real good. People need time to plan travel etc.

Go Melbourne Go ! lol

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 12:34:28 AM »
!@# dead in the water ? Havent heard that it has been cancelled.

It hasnt Millsy... as usual before Expo, theres a bit of silly talk about

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 12:40:04 AM »
Seriously Retropin, what say you about the timing with only 8 weeks to go and no venue, no website info and no general info.

Surely you must agree that this is a real problem. Not silly when they are genuine points of concern.

Or is it a guessing game as to when and where its going to be held. The correct answer from a member wins a auction bid ?

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 12:45:16 AM »
If its Oct,Nov or whenever I will be there as many other pinball lovers.
Thoroughly enjoyed last years expo helping manning the AP table,meeting other people and spreading the great pinball HOBBY (Not business)
pinballaustralia.com

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 12:53:11 AM »
I agree Millsy. Hopefully, we all get more than a few days notice of where and when it is. Then we can all look at going, if its on.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 12:59:27 AM »
Seriously Retropin, what say you about the timing with only 8 weeks to go and no venue, no website info and no general info.

Surely you must agree that this is a real problem. Not silly when they are genuine points of concern.

Or is it a guessing game as to when and where its going to be held. The correct answer from a member wins a auction bid ?

Never said there was no venue cavey..... and no the lack of solid information is not a probelm.. you under estimate the support this Expo has. If you want your melbourne Expo then go ahead and organise it... seems to me that your input is merely a large stirring of the pot

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 01:08:30 AM »
mate, yes i am stirring the pot because i think the information and handling of the expo for the general punter has been handled poorly.

No publicly listed venue or date anywhere. Unless you can shed some light on the mysterious details.  !@#

As for the melbourne expo, no i wont organise it, I run a Security business for a living, not a pinball company, but i bet you $50 that a melbourne expo will happen sooner or later. Also, i dont underestimate the support for any pinball event, i am also passionate about this hobby.

But even the most passionate pinheads cant go to something without a venue being named and a date since May is approaching !