Author Topic: Matters of insurance  (Read 193 times)

Offline RaptorLawyer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • Sekured custom sneakers
Matters of insurance
« on: March 07, 2010, 01:50:43 AM »
So any Melbournians would be aware of the hail storm that hit yesterday. Well in short, a section of of room came off and as a result the ONLY room in the house that got flooded was my games room  ^&^.

Anywho, Dad is overseas at the moment and cant get in contact with him so was wondering what exactly is covered in home and contents insurance. Im aware of that obviously policies differ in many ways but i would assume it would be a very nice policy he has invested in.

At the moment we are unsure of the damage to the machine outside of the obvious water damage as i have not turned anything on until it all dries off, but if machines suffer weather damage and such is that generally covered in insurance?

Thanks guys,

Steve
Kill each-other nicely please.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Matters of insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 11:00:37 AM »
Insurance - in truth at law, legalised gambling! Different policies have different exclusions and inclusions. You would think that your games would come under the normal contents cover, so it will then depend if the policy covers water entry damage as occurred here, and then if the cover is sufficient based on the total insured. Some people list their games and other valuables as specified items on their policies for better protection.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline FirePower

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 11:54:05 AM »
If I were in your shoes I'd ring the insurance co that you are with pretending to be a new client contemplating talking out insurance with them and ask if they'd cover a pin and what you'd have to do to achieve this. Ask them to highlight the sections and wording in the policy that would be relevant, get as much info as you can while they think you are a potential client.

You're then in the best position from the point of view of information to make a claim.

On the pin itself I wonder if you got to it fairly quickly and it didn't sit around wet for too long, it might be ok after drying out?  I hope so for your sake. 

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 12:04:44 PM »
You will find that the contents are insured up to a certain value
The companies would feel that every house has a content value as a percentage of house value

I would imagine that one pinball machine would be covered, 20 games, probably not
If you wanted coverage for a larger collection then it should have been mentioned when the insurance was taken out

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 12:31:52 PM »
Im not 100% sure but i made sure i listed my games. Surely one would be covered though  ^^^

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 12:35:03 PM »
Im not 100% sure but i made sure i listed my games. Surely one would be covered though  ^^^

You'd think one would be OK.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”