Author Topic: LED globes in my Mario Bros...WTF!!!  (Read 323 times)

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
LED globes in my Mario Bros...WTF!!!
« on: March 07, 2010, 01:18:59 PM »
I tried a couple of LED's in my Super Mario Bros pin today...they looked really good..BUT..they dont turn off...
They have a small glow to them when they are suppose to be turned off..
STRANGE...or cant you use LED globes in some Gottlieb machines??
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: LED globes in my Mario Bros...WTF!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 01:31:07 PM »
Might depend on how the system provides power - I know you can't use LEDs in Capcom games for example.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 01:34:38 PM »
Would seem that GTB games still have a potential difference between the terminals when turned off... obviously, this isnt enough to strike the filament in a normal bulb, but is enough to dimly light an LED..... ill test my SMB and see if there is still a small voltage supply

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 02:04:39 PM »
I read on a site somewhere - I think it was Coin Taker, but it's such a crap site to navigate that I can't find it now, that this is due to the way the lamp matrix is switched. I'll post the link if I find it again.

Marty Machine

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 09:52:11 PM »
You might need to wire a diode in series with each LED to drop off .6v to turn the LED off.....
In fact you might need 2 diode to drop off 1.2v if the voltage is a little high on the sockets....

IF you can, try and measure across the globe socket, to get an idea of how many volts are there when the LED should be OFF...

MM.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 10:10:56 PM »
Ive found the same on my Lamp tester that some of the Leds remain very dimly lit so williams Syste3 -7 might have the same issues

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 11:46:48 PM »
My Party Zone does the same thing with "Homepin HomeBrew" LED's.

The effect is more pronounced on the lamp PCB's? (Not so much on the singles)
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 11:51:22 PM »
O tested across the sockey on SMB... got some crazy readings..... will try with a better DMM

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 03:48:46 AM »
if you have any thing higher than 2.5 volts then i would use a 1 watt 3.3 volt  zenner diode in series with the led.
as far as the glow goes some pinball manufactures may like to keep the bulb filaments warm so the standard incandecent lamps illuminate quicker (just like williams kept their flash lamp filaments warm)

also make sure the filter cap for the insert lighting is up to scratch, you will find if this capacitor is stuffed or weak then you will be getting some A.C. ripple on the column and row transistors causing them to pulse at 50 hertz which will make your leds glow, if this is the case then the more incandecent lamps that are lit then the brighter your leds will glow. it's all food for thought. it might just be that as i said at the start or this reply, the designers may have just wanted to keep the lamp filaments warm.  !@#  :D @@*

so if you have a small amount of voltage then follow Marty Machines advise, but if this doesn't work then think about what i have suggested.

when trying to work out what voltage you have do it with a analog meter with your pin in test mode, try the individual lamp test then try row and colum test.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 03:57:40 AM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 12:07:35 PM »
Probably easier to just use standard globes...lol..
The good old trusty ones will probably be illegal to make one day....
So everyone will be trying to put the old style globes back in there machines..lol
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 12:42:56 PM »
I just put up with the glow as the LED's are far better than the normal globes-kind of like the glow anyway !^!

Peter

Marty Machine

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 02:13:36 PM »
if you have any thing higher than 2.5 volts then i would use a 1 watt 3.3 volt  zenner diode in series with the led.
I was almost getting around to suggesting a Zener might be needed, but not knowing how many volts needed to be dropped, i started at a basic rectifier diode (0.6v).

also make sure the filter cap for the insert lighting is up to scratch, you will find if this capacitor is stuffed or weak then you will be getting some A.C. ripple on the column and row transistors causing them to pulse at 50 hertz which will make your leds glow, if this is the case then the more incandecent lamps that are lit then the brighter your leds will glow. it's all food for thought. it might just be that as i said at the start or this reply, the designers may have just wanted to keep the lamp filaments warm.  !@#  :D @@*
Definately worth looking into....from what i keep seeing in these old pins, the designs aren't exactly stable, lots of AC of spikes and buzzing on many of the supply voltages...

when trying to work out what voltage you have do it with a analog meter with your pin in test mode, try the individual lamp test then try row and colum test.
Another good point, as Retropin has seen, the Digital Meter gives crazy reading with so much 'switching' going on...
The old Analog will give a nice average reading.....

At the end of the day, anyone with a Cro will see exactly what volts and switching is occuring .....

On another note...
Are ALL the leds glowing? or just the playfield-insert ones????
I wonder if there is still a large amount of side-light/leakage ( when one light illuminates the insert next to it ).
Placing some small card-cylinders around the lamp-fittings (undernath the playfield) will prevent inserts lighting up from nearby globes....something that REALLY bugz me hehehehehe.

MM.