Author Topic: Why cannot they use the right era game?  (Read 363 times)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Why cannot they use the right era game?
« on: March 21, 2010, 02:52:52 PM »
You watch a movie set in the past
They make sure that the cars are right, the costumes are right, the music is right

The lead character walks into a seedy bar, in the corner there is a pinball machine.
For a second the camera shows what game it is, and what it is, is the wrong game!!

I pulled ‘Who Framed Roger Rabbit?’ out last night.
Eddie Valiant walks across the road from his office to ‘The Terminal Station Bar’ where his girlfriend works
There are three slot machines on the ground floor, upstairs in the bar is a Jukebox, an arcade game and two pinball machines.
I was finally able to identify one game, a Gottlieb ‘Hurdy Gurdy’ from 1966

But the movie is set in 1947 !

The USA had returned to making games by then, surely something closer to that time could have been found
It is not as if somebody had to actually play the game

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Why cannot they use the right era game?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 04:02:45 PM »
yeh good point. only 25 years out of time/step.  @.@

its funny how i have seen alot of movies of late with pinball machines in them. ^^^ ^^^
Theres a Movie called TOYS starring Richard Pryor with a brand new Haunted house in it plus a few other new pins plus arcade games, plus a movie called Raindeer Games starring Ben Affleck with new pinball machines n arcade games in it,then there was a movie called Eddie Macons Run starrring Kirk Douglas with a whack of new pinballs and brand new arcade games in it.

Last but not least, the movie Back to the future starring Michael J Fox whereby the mad professor states that he made the famous "Flux Capacitor" for the time machine Delorian Car and he says " I made the Flux capacitor from spare pinball machine parts".

Anyways, some trivia for you guys.  Anyone else know of some movies with dmd pinnys in them ?
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 04:28:25 PM »

Last but not least, the movie Back to the future starring Michael J Fox whereby the mad professor states that he made the famous "Flux Capacitor" for the time machine Delorian Car and he says " I made the Flux capacitor from spare pinball machine parts".

sorry to nit pick cavey but he filled the bomb he made with used pinball parts. and kept the plutonium to power the time machine. lol
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 04:32:03 PM »
no way hosay. he definately says he made the flux capacitor from spare pinball machine parts. I watched the movie 2 times in the last week !

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 04:34:58 PM »

Anyways, some trivia for you guys.  Anyone else know of some movies with dmd pinnys in them ?

I hate Superman 4
It has a Black Knight but the soundtrack is for an EM game

some more;
http://www.pingeek.com/film/film.htm

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 04:36:31 PM »
no way hosay. he definately says he made the flux capacitor from spare pinball machine parts. I watched the movie 2 times in the last week !

Sorry cavey, he is right
it was the Bomb that was made from used pinball machine parts

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 04:48:11 PM »
not that i have watched it for a year or so but have you ever noticed in home and away when someone is playing the pinny in the diner the score keeps changing from zero to the high score to date and back to zero?

and in the movie big daddy (adam sandler) there is a space station pin in his appartment and in one of the scenes when he is talking to the little kid and the camera swaps back and foward between adam and the kid most of the time the pinny is turned on then its turned off and then it is turned on again.  @@*
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 04:50:51 PM »

I hate Superman 4
It has a Black Knight but the soundtrack is for an EM game

some more;
http://www.pingeek.com/film/film.htm
pinky i have lost count of how many movies where people are playing ss pins and they are all making em sounds and there are no em's in site.

Offline Pinprick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 05:05:27 PM »

Sorry cavey, he is right

Yeah, the substitute "fake bomb" WAS made from used PM parts sayeth Doc Emmet Brown in Movie No.1
The flux cap is quite visible in the series - looks more like HT leads, rope lights & a junction box.
"I don't operate on a level playing field"

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 05:12:56 PM »

Sorry cavey, he is right

Yeah, the substitute "fake bomb" WAS made from used PM parts sayeth Doc Emmet Brown in Movie No.1
The flux cap is quite visible in the series - looks more like HT leads, rope lights & a junction box.
yeah your right about the HT lead, looks like a lead off a picture tube.
and dont you love the way he says jiga watts instead of giga watts  :lol

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 06:55:38 PM »

Not a movie - but if you watch "Happy Days", there is a Bally "Nip-It" machine. Strange as the pin was produced in the 70's and the TV show was set in the 50's !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 07:33:19 PM »
the flux capacitor is not made of pinball parts literally, he just says it was made form spare pinball parts. thats the way i remember it from watching the movie 3 times in the last few weeks. * repeats on foxtel. doh !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 07:38:22 PM »
the flux capacitor is not made of pinball parts literally, he just says it was made form spare pinball parts. thats the way i remember it from watching the movie 3 times in the last few weeks. * repeats on foxtel. doh !

I am starting an apeal for funds so that Cave of Treasures can buy his own copy of BTTF

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 07:40:38 PM »

Not a movie - but if you watch "Happy Days", there is a Bally "Nip-It" machine. Strange as the pin was produced in the 70's and the TV show was set in the 50's !

THe closest period show I have seen is M*A*S*H
There is a game in the officers club that is almost the right age

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 08:13:57 PM »

yeah thats the first one that came to mind for me too! also on the same show for one episode was a Wms Klondike (1971!!).. where Fonzie reaches into the backbox and racks up a free game for Richie :lol

Also it always bugged me to see a SS game being played, and hearing DING DING DING DING DING, as its supposedly being played ^&^