Author Topic: Aussie Pinball V2.0  (Read 2932 times)

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Re: Aussie Pinball V2.0
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2010, 11:28:04 PM »
Well, I'm not going anywhere. I enjoy it too much.

If you need to change the software, change the software.

Hope the transition goes really smoothly!

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2010, 08:17:06 AM »
we loose all out stars and high post counts then lol

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2010, 08:19:21 AM »
we loose all out stars and high post counts then lol

Hopefully not; that's my definition of a smooth transition!

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2010, 07:57:53 AM »
Hi folks, it seems this upgrade will not be happening after all. After many hours of investigation and practice conversion runs, there are just too many data conversion issues which cannot be overcome. vBulletin have assigned many of our issues to their developers and I indicated to them that we cannot go live until these are resolved. Due to the uncertainty surrounding when they would be fixed, I have asked for a refund and they have obliged. Sorry folks! I am so dissapointed - spending so much time on this to have it result in nothing.

We are now investigating other upgrade options so stay tuned!

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2010, 08:17:18 AM »
I wouldn't say its resulted in nothing.  If the upgrade had been rushed through and it all went pear shaped...that would be worse!

The SMF 2.0 (only RC) but once released has some good management features and hopefully will meet the needs..

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2010, 08:55:23 AM »
Hi folks, it seems this upgrade will not be happening after all. After many hours of investigation and practice conversion runs, there are just too many data conversion issues which cannot be overcome. vBulletin have assigned many of our issues to their developers and I indicated to them that we cannot go live until these are resolved. Due to the uncertainty surrounding when they would be fixed, I have asked for a refund and they have obliged. Sorry folks! I am so dissapointed - spending so much time on this to have it result in nothing.

We are now investigating other upgrade options so stay tuned!

That's a bitch - you would think these guys would know how to talk to a competing product?

Oh well - here's to aussie pinball v2.01RC1?  ^^^
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2010, 10:15:23 AM »
Shame about all your lost time on the new version Creech but i wouldnt worry to much i think AP is perfect the way it is any other extras the new program had would only take away from the pure pinball of AP with crappy look at me Gifts etc

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2010, 11:22:58 AM »
Shame about all your lost time on the new version Creech but i wouldnt worry to much i think AP is perfect the way it is any other extras the new program had would only take away from the pure pinball of AP with crappy look at me Gifts etc

Very true, Daniel. AP has always been about the members and content, not about how many kisses you can give to your bum chum  %.%

Tony was very thorough with his research and testing, and we wanted to ensure that the entire content could be migrated, including post count  @@^ and avatars. We have had some great feedback, and it seems many VB sites are moving across to the new version of SMF - so we are in a good position to upgrade.

It is a very good outcome, and will enable us to move to a fully supported platform.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2010, 01:06:53 PM »
Thank you for looking into it anyway

I used to be a member of a forum (vBulliein) where the Admin did not bother with upgrades
After a few years he found he had to (The server was upgraded and it was incompatable with the older version)

The short story was, it was a disaster, Attachments lost, avatars lost, the posts were OK, but nearly everything else was lost or corupted

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2010, 01:13:10 PM »
The short story was, it was a disaster, Attachments lost, avatars lost, the posts were OK, but nearly everything else was lost or corupted

And that's what would have happened here. I'm glad I just found out before we actually went ahead with it.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2010, 01:33:58 AM »
if it aint broke, dont fix it.  ^^^

The current style of Aussie Pinball is straight forward and it works real well, in my opinion.

I have looked at Aussie Arcade recently, and i find the format to be a bit busy and lots of stuff everywhere, a bit messy.
Dont get me wrong, a fine site with good info, but i like the simple straight forward layout of Aussie Pinball.

Creech, what was the upgrade going to do for our current site ?  what benefit or changes were we likely to have seen or experienced ?
was it a major benefit or change ?

At least you know the majority of us, as i am sure, are very happy with Aussie Pinball the way it is now.  ^^^
Great job I say.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ 
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2010, 09:08:37 AM »
Creech, what was the upgrade going to do for our current site ?  what benefit or changes were we likely to have seen or experienced ?
was it a major benefit or change ?
The benefits were mainly "under the covers". Better security against hackers, spam users plus features some of the members wanted like shoutbox, arcade games, award systems etc. This can all be done via SMF 2.0 anyway which is a free product.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2010, 09:16:23 AM »
This can all be done via SMF 2.0 anyway which is a free product.

Looking forward to seeing the results of all your efforts Creech, and thanks again.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”