Author Topic: LAH Shop Job  (Read 5377 times)

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Re: LAH Shop Job
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2010, 09:51:55 AM »
Nice work Beaky she's looking awesome-you have cut NO corners and it shows well done.

Peter

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2010, 04:47:33 PM »
I went to fit the rubber kit last night.
I ended up with half the rubbers being of incorrect size or wrong quantity. Why can't the people who supply the information in the manual get the rubber sizes right.  @.@
The rubber kit was supplied as the manual stated but the manual is wrong.
I ended up with a whole heap of rubbers being to large or to small for the posts and spaces.  ^.^

I have sent an email to my supplier with a list of rubbers that i need to finish re rubbering the playfield and also a list of the correct rubber sizes and quantities for a kit so next time some one orders a rubber kit they will get the correct rubbers.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2010, 01:18:36 PM »
Plastics have been cleaned and straightend, all new G.I. lamps have been fitted & one of the cliffie protecters have been installed.
i can't do much more assembly work to the playfield until i get the new lane guides, coil sleeves for jet bumbers, spinner, replacement rubbers and decals for the drop targets.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 01:42:11 PM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2010, 03:57:08 PM »
Tell the truth, after i gave you a bottle of my mates best bourban "moonshine", you were too smashed  **) **) **)  to do anymore on the playfield.

C'mon, fess up, how much of that bottle is left Andy ?

p.s- the next batch is almost ready for harvest, so u better get that machine done before the next case arrives. @.@ 

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2010, 04:00:53 PM »
Tell the truth, after i gave you a bottle of my mates best bourban "moonshine", you were too smashed  **) **) **)  to do anymore on the playfield.

C'mon, fess up, how much of that bottle is left Andy ?

p.s- the next batch is almost ready for harvest, so u better get that machine done before the next case arrives. @.@ 

i only had 1 bourban last night

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2010, 11:20:15 PM »
yeh, 1 x bottle !  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

ya slowing down mate !

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2010, 12:36:48 AM »
and now for the ramp.
the ramp had a lot of ball wear. can't find a new one any where so its time to try flame polishing.
I did pretty good for my first attempt.
I thought i would take a photo of it on coloured news paper so you can see how clear it came up.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2010, 04:49:58 AM »
Andy, what exactly did u use to clean n polish it. Novus or ?

Describe the flame polish bit so us simpletons know what u mean and how u did the "flame polishing".  !@# !@#

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2010, 08:43:51 AM »
Nice work Andrew !  ^^^
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2010, 08:47:56 AM »
Flame polishing wins again - I remember that someone described this method in great detail last year.

Ah, yes, is was Matt from Geelong: http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=1568.0

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2010, 06:14:14 PM »
Flame polishing wins again - I remember that someone described this method in great detail last year.

Ah, yes, is was Matt from Geelong: http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=1568.0
thanks for the link, the flame on my blow torch is not as hot (as the blow torch in the link) but the flame is about the same size.
its a bit hard to see the flame in my picture.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2010, 03:15:30 PM »
I am waiting on parts to finish the playfield so i started on the cabinet
stripped and sanded then clear coat on the bottom and satin black on the sides

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2010, 05:40:49 PM »
Looks nice and clean Beaky...

Personally i do not like cabinets cleared on the bottom and fully painted to the floor... Don't know why but i think it looks tacky...

I like to leave inside as orig as possible.. That's MO of course..

Again.....i can still appreciate the effort and awesome work...  *%*
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2010, 08:07:08 PM »
yeh, to a certain extent i agree Pinfan.

I was around at Andrews when he was doing the inside of the cabinet. The original black overspray paintjob on most cabinets, including this LAH was a pretty bad from factory.If anything, the factory paint jobs from day one are really really bad. Just unfinished and minimalistic.
The finished look of black now all over looks like it should have been done from day one.
Before Andrew painted the clearcoat over the bottom of the cabinet, it was sanded back to bare wood and looked a treat. After the clearcoat of lacquer, it turned a browny yellowy colour and i did not like it either. The lacquer look looks shitty. But at least it is sealed i guess, but at a visual price.

One of the melbourne guys who did that Funhouse full restore, actually painted the bottom of the cabinet in a cream pinewood colour, which looked amazing.
I would probably go with that, before i would ever use lacquer.

To me, the inside of a cabinet is very very important. The extra effort gives a finished look that the factory never bothered with.
Hats off to Andy for masking it up and giving it a go. I think the lacquer will be thrown out for the next job i would reckon. Andy wasnt 100 percent happy with it either, but he has followed his customers directions, which is important in this regard.  ^^^

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2010, 08:14:15 PM »
Looks nice and clean Beaky...

Personally i do not like cabinets cleared on the bottom and fully painted to the floor... Don't know why but i think it looks tacky...

I like to leave inside as orig as possible.. That's MO of course..

Again.....i can still appreciate the effort and awesome work...  *%*
the only reason why i spray the bottom clear is to make it easier to keep clean. I do agree the raw wood bottom looks better