Author Topic: Star Trek resto PART III. STTNG.  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Star Trek resto PART III. STTNG.
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2010, 09:43:10 PM »
I was going to order some stuff today (LED'S) but always out of stock. Gets frustrating when everything is always showing out of stock.    ^&^

I dont like sending my money to marco or bay area, but if ya cant get stock, ya cant get stock.

So i just ordered from over there.

Who's site is always showing out of stock ?
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2010, 01:36:25 AM »
I will have to plead the 5th amendment on this one.         
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 01:46:30 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2010, 08:12:34 AM »

LOL!

Hmm, I wonder if is a certain Melbourne spare parts and machine seller located in a suburb about 28km east of the CBD??

Offline Daring33

• Forum Posts:
  • South Australia
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2010, 01:33:41 PM »
Can't wait to see what the LED's look like all lit up.  You are doing a great job on the restore.

Would you care to share exactly what LED's you have in the green banana shaped inserts?  I cleaned mine up at the end of last year and one of the last things I would like to do is reduce the heat under those inserts but I need to know what damn LED's!  There are so many of them available now.

A couple more questions about the gun handle, what paint did you use and did you then clear over it or will the paint be able to handle the wear?

Thanks in advance for any answers you could provide.

(Turned mine on a while ago after a couple of weeks and the damn mulitple balls firing out has popped up, it was running flawlessly before so now it's time to chase down which opto is flakey)

Offline Pinfan

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2010, 05:31:28 PM »
Can't wait to see what the LED's look like all lit up.  You are doing a great job on the restore.

Would you care to share exactly what LED's you have in the green banana shaped inserts?  I cleaned mine up at the end of last year and one of the last things I would like to do is reduce the heat under those inserts but I need to know what damn LED's!  There are so many of them available now.

A couple more questions about the gun handle, what paint did you use and did you then clear over it or will the paint be able to handle the wear?

LEDS ... i use all wide angle leds from cointaker..... In the kidney shaped inserts i have bright/cool white #555's and white flashers...

I opted to go white because they do not make an led this colour... It actually lights up nicely..

RE gun handle i used this stuff... http://www.vhtpaint.com/barrelpaint.html... awesome paint... I pinched a can from my bro in law so i don't know what its worth...

I then cleared it with Krylon triple thick. 3 coats...

LOL!

Hmm, I wonder if is a certain Melbourne spare parts and machine seller located in a suburb about 28km east of the CBD??

Well i did go to that particular site and everything ( well most led globes in a higher quantity of 5)  was out of stock... i then see a bundle pack of 21 leds boasting different colours and styles for $17.50...  !@#

Well each individual led globe sells for 70 cents..... you work it out !  !@#

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do Brett ! This is why i say 'never say never' !

Offline Daring33

• Forum Posts:
  • South Australia
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2010, 07:45:30 PM »

LEDS ... i use all wide angle leds from cointaker..... In the kidney shaped inserts i have bright/cool white #555's and white flashers...

I opted to go white because they do not make an led this colour... It actually lights up nicely..

RE gun handle i used this stuff... http://www.vhtpaint.com/barrelpaint.html... awesome paint... I pinched a can from my bro in law so i don't know what its worth...

Thanks mate, the angle the globes are set at in the kidney inserts was what was causing me grief I'll get hold of some and put them in.  Thanks for the paint link too, If you cleared it also I may just get a hold of some gloss black and make sure I clear it well.

(I found the dodgy opto by leaving it in switch test, walking away and waiting for the sound of the switch closing, was only a dry joint - Great way for anyone that is trying to find an opto that isn't quite dead yet)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2010, 07:48:02 PM »

Thanks mate, the angle the globes are set at in the kidney inserts was what was causing me grief I'll get hold of some and put them in.  Thanks for the paint link too, If you cleared it also I may just get a hold of some gloss black and make sure I clear it well.

(I found the dodgy opto by leaving it in switch test, walking away and waiting for the sound of the switch closing, was only a dry joint - Great way for anyone that is trying to find an opto that isn't quite dead yet)

A good way to test your optos if you can physically see them is with a digital camera you can see the optos glowing through your camera or even mobile phone  ^^^

Offline Daring33

• Forum Posts:
  • South Australia
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2010, 07:54:12 PM »
A good way to test your optos if you can physically see them is with a digital camera you can see the optos glowing through your camera or even mobile phone  ^^^

This is a great way, except I lent my camera to Mum the other day!  Also it is better for optos that are completely out, mine was just intermittent so would have shown up as good initially, took about 20 minutes before it started to play up

Offline Pinfan

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2010, 09:48:55 PM »
I had a trough problem when i re assembled the pin but i was 100 % sure it was not an opto...

I resoldered every joint and tested the optos before i stripped the game so i eliminated 95% of the problems...

My problem lay in the connector... Wasn't connected properly... @.@

I have yet to test an opto with the camera method but i will keep that in the back of my mind ! ^^^

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2010, 11:06:58 PM »
You can also test the receiver by blocking the transmitter with anything then shining one of them Led torched into the receiver  ^^^

Offline Pinfan

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2010, 07:33:42 PM »
The last couple of days i have been concentrating on getting the PF back into the cabinet so i can re populate the PF..

In order to do this my goal was to completely re assemble the entire inside and outside of the cabinet and get the HB in order as well...

Cabinet components have all gone through the usual vigorous cleaning and polishing methods and have been re installed into the cabinet. The HB was reunited with its boards and wiring looms..

There is a lot more detail than just re populate the cab and HB etc... A lot of work was involved but i decided to let the pics do the talking.

With the re assembly of the cab a few more new parts were installed...

New strike BB latch
New lockdown bar locking mech
New speaker grill
New flipper buttons
New start and TBC buttons
New coin door
Freshly printed decals

I prefer the inside of my cabs to look kind of 'not perfect or used' or shall i say factory like. Well when i say 'not perfect' i mean looking clean and respectable but 'not perfect. No new floor etc as i believe it kind of puts it out of character and after all its the inside of the cab !

So i gave it a light sand and left it at that..

Another dilemma i found myself in was painting the inside of the cab all the way down to bottom... I don't like the look of it and as mentioned above i preferred the 'not perfect' factory look.

In this situation i was forced to as my inside had been chewed up by the PF support/slide brackets. But it was not all the way but 3/4 of the way..  :D

This area was also repaired. I used marine ply, which is very durable, and painted it to blend into the side walls of the cab... It was glued with wood glue and then nailed in as it was done in the factory.

In the previous post i forgot to mention a thought that ran through my mind in which i proceeded to do...

Where the PF sits in its home position ( ready for play)  I wanted to spruce up the cabinet sides which are viewable whilst playing... I did come across these decals you could purchase to spruce it up how ever i thought it looked tacky as some of the colours were off ( in pics i've seen ) so i decided to take another route...

I decided to create a 'star field or space' as we know it, scattered across the galaxy ( which is the pf, with its purple and pink nebulas or gas in space. )

So what i did was simply splatter white paint, same way a Gottlieb machine has its speckle effect, to create 'space.' To me this takes the edge off from being a dark place...

Take note on the pic below with the timber support rail of the 'star' effect... Can also be seen in the first pic. ( killed to birds with one stone  #@# )

The PF now sits inside of the cab bare, just with the pops, targets and the back board in place...

« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 10:21:26 PM by Pinfan »

Offline Pinfan

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2010, 07:37:25 PM »
And some more pix...  #@#

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2010, 08:46:57 PM »
looks absolutely terriffic.

the machine looks like new.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline v8racefan

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2010, 08:12:39 PM »
That playfield backboard sticker is awesome, really does complement the playfield, good work.  ^^^
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline Pinfan

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2010, 06:14:19 PM »
A little more progress on the Next Gen..  #*#

All ramps were being replaced with new ramps and ramp protectors.

So all hardware from the ramps were cleaned, tumbled and mostly re assembled..Plastic parts were cleaned  in the usual manner...

Most of the metal parts have been re fitted to the new ramps however some will be re fitted closer to the re pop of the pf as parts are still being tumbled.. but the pics will give you an indication...

The 2 cannons have also been rebuilt using all new parts bar the coils.. New brackets were purchased at an insane rate from RTTB so instead of wasting time cleaning, and being a part readily and always seen i lashed out...The wiring harness on the cannons have yet to be neaten as i still have the lasers to install..

Made the world of difference.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 09:28:36 AM by Pinfan »