Author Topic: Another KISS on eBay !  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Another KISS on eBay !
« on: April 25, 2010, 10:40:52 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/KISS-Pinball-Machine-MINT-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ110524289071QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_CoinOp?hash=item19bbc2d02f

.. and this one looks to be VERY nice. Will be a great test on how much a nice KISS sells for. The word "mint" is used liberally. I'm VERY fussy with my pins and this one looks to be one of the best KISS machines I've seen (pictures). My ONLY problem is the door should be regrained, not polished. Apart from that - I'm impressed !

This will be an interesting auction to follow. Kudos to the restorer  @@*
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mango

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Another KISS on eBay !
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 11:36:07 PM »
Hate to be pedantic but on the 'Collosal Bonus' was the left chain link orange on the original PF or a repo mistake? :)

EDIT - the one on IPDB has the orange as well, just have been an original mistake?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 11:38:39 PM by Mango »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
Sure looks clean - love seeing games this old with playfields that are new - sure brings you back to seeing those games new in the flesh all those years ago.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 09:02:41 AM »
Very nice, shame the seller didn't spend sometime on the boards thou.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 10:08:05 AM »

yep, inlight of the rest of the pin it just seems a bit slack huh

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 07:10:31 PM »
So how high is this one going to go? Will it beat the record?? No way i'd pay the price it's already at, might wear it out if you played it.
WTB (or possibly trade) - 1980 Stern ALI

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 07:32:43 PM »
looking like 11k, but that would be nutz

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 12:38:42 AM »
there are only so many people that will pay big $$$ for a pin. Lets see how many are left.
But yes it is nice.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 09:22:22 AM »

Original cap on the SD board & the original niCad battery. Would take 10 minutes to replace.

Anyway - This could break the $10k mark - especially with the repro playfield.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 10:01:28 AM »

Original cap on the SD board & the original niCad battery. Would take 10 minutes to replace.

Exactly, the seller has spent so much time restoring this machine and then hasn't done these makes you wonder if all the solenoids have been fully rebuilt  #@#

Looks like they only rebuilt the flippers as mentioned in the auction, everything is mentioned as working.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 10:03:26 AM by humpalot »

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 10:43:31 AM »

As much as I do like this particular machine in the auction, the reality is the only original thing about it is the cabinet, and even that has been repainted.

Pinball is a funny hobby.  Trying to think of another hobby where you can replicate something basically from scratch and bring in better coin than an original example.

To me, this is a GT Falcon built from all new parts with the GT compliance plate added to make it a real GT.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 10:47:10 AM by Rod71 »

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 11:37:12 AM »

As much as I do like this particular machine in the auction, the reality is the only original thing about it is the cabinet, and even that has been repainted.

Pinball is a funny hobby.  Trying to think of another hobby where you can replicate something basically from scratch and bring in better coin than an original example.

To me, this is a GT Falcon built from all new parts with the GT compliance plate added to make it a real GT.

now thats an interesting thought. why not buy a cheap pin from the same era with a different name, then repaint it as a kiss pin and replace the playfield and back glass, then sell it for $10k or more. i wonder how much it would cost? if it cost you $5k and you could sell it for $10k it would be worth it.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 12:17:51 PM »

now thats an interesting thought. why not buy a cheap pin from the same era with a different name, then repaint it as a kiss pin and replace the playfield and back glass, then sell it for $10k or more. i wonder how much it would cost? if it cost you $5k and you could sell it for $10k it would be worth it.

Yep, the only unique thing you'll need is the light board behind the backglass.  The rest can be bought new.

He does stress in this auction that the cabinet is original as in it still has matching numbers on the head and body.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 12:28:10 PM »
thats not to hard to do with a bit of research. Just find a set of numbers of a parted out kiss or just pick a number similar to another kiss, (the chances of picking one that is still in circulation are pretty low). it would be like rebirthing a car that has been written off, & with out some government dept checking up on you.

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 11:52:49 PM »
Yep I was thinking about that today. Build your own Kiss. If not to sell then for yourself, but, it ain't original and you'd know it so where's the fun in that?? %.%, and I ask myself everyday whether to touch certain pins i own, or just leave them. Read all about it in my 'to restore or not to restore' thread. I can tell you one thing, it's hard to get a bloody straight answer, I think everyone is in two minds when restoration gets to a certain point. Keep it worn and real/authentic, or looking nice but fake, that's the way I look at it anyways :D.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 11:54:34 PM by braddo »
WTB (or possibly trade) - 1980 Stern ALI