Author Topic: Tobbaco Tax Hike. W.T.F?  (Read 851 times)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Tobbaco Tax Hike. W.T.F?
« on: April 30, 2010, 01:01:47 AM »
Once again the government of this country is putting the tobbaco tax up.  ^.^ I thought this country had a GST that abolished other sales taxes. !@# The government recons that it will make some people to stop smoking, it will for a while but then the people who have given up take the habit up again. Or more people will buy chop chop and by pass the tax all together.
If they where serious about stopping people smoking then they would pay for the products that are used to help people quit smoking out of the tabbaco tax.
Have you seen the prices on those quit smoking products? It's cheaper to buy tobbaco then buy patches or gum. And have you ever tasted that nicotine gum? it tastes like crap. I mean they can make a potato chip taste like anything your heart desires but the nicotine gum tastes like crap. If they where really serious about making people stop smoking then they would ban the sale of tabbaco full stop. I am a smoker but you tell me when has a product ever been allowed to be sold after it has been proven that it causes cancer? (other than tobbaco)
Imagine how much money the government would loose if they banned the sale of tabbaco?
It all comes down to the government needs more money for their health and hospital overhaul, The tax increase will raise an extra $5 billion over four years, which the Government will put towards its health and hospitals overhaul.

one comment made me laugh. "All these people who are smoking legitimate tobacco are going to go to the chop-chop now. That is more harmful than smoking this - they have bugs and parasites and who knows how it's produced, so it will compound health problems in the long run"

So what they are trying to say is its healthier to smoke acitone and a whole heap of other chemicals than smoking a few bugs? Yeah right.

On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline johnwartjr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
Re: Tobbaco Tax Hike. W.T.F?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 01:37:45 AM »
They have taxed tobacco to death here in the US.

I'm not a smoker, but both my parents are. And my wife's Mom does, her Dad did, but he stopped when he had heart surgery and was told to stop by his doctors.

A carton of one brand was $50 the other day when I was waiting in line to pay for something at the corner gas station and looked up at the sign. That was one of the more expensive brands, but still, damn!

A lot of people from Indiana (my state) drive south to Kentucky a few times a year and stock up, as taxes are much lower there since Kentucky makes a large portion of the tobacco consumed in the US.

I'm not educated on the numbers, but I have heard the number of smokers has dropped.

It's also frowned upon heavily in the US society. Smoking is banned in my county with the exception of bars and 'private clubs' - and in some counties here, they've even banned it in bars!

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 08:21:55 AM »
I have a love/hate relationship with tobacco... often quit and then go back in times of stress... at the moment im back on them.

The government will ALWAYS tax tobacco to the hilt... it pulls in large revenue for them. Once the majority of smokers have died off ( older gen of cancer suckers) and the revenue gained drops off, we will be taxed on alcohol to the hilt because it will be for our "own good".

Its true... nicorette etc is DEARER than cigarettes... whether this be because of tax or not im not sure, but yes, it costs more to quit than to continue.
It makes you laugh though... good old Gov is always working for our best interesrts.. when you obviously cant look after yourself.. good old Gov will do it for you.

Examples of "we do this cos its for your own good"

Tobacco tax
Alcohol tax
Compulsory Super ( taxed if you access it)
Electricity Hikes ( will save the planet????? Bizarre.... meanwhile we will pull more coal out of the ground to burn and sell it to China and replace all those NON power requiring speed limit signs with electric LED ones)

I could add... but im orf for a cup o tea and a fag.....

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 08:54:47 AM »
I think its awesome that dirty smokers pay more tax, keep puffing guys!
Funding the health system via your tar soaked lungs  :lol

Marty Machine

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 08:55:35 AM »
I could add... but im orf for a cup o tea and a fag.....
... and then a cigarette afterwards  :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 09:29:43 AM »
It is ironic that this proven disease causing thing should be used to fund the hospital system. As mentioned, it's amazing to think that despite it being poison, it is still sold.

I smoked heavily for thirty years, and tried everything to stop with no (or limited) success, so many times over the years. Six months ago I did manage to stop, and am fortunate enough to have a little girl so proud of her dad, and whose heart would be broken if I smoked again, that I know I have finally succeeded. But it upsets me to see what they are doing once again with taxes - now that the addiction isn't around to make me ignore the change and not think about it, I can see how terrible it is to use an addiction to squeeze taxes out of people.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 09:42:06 AM »
But it upsets me to see what they are doing once again with taxes - now that the addiction isn't around to make me ignore the change and not think about it, I can see how terrible it is to use an addiction to squeeze taxes out of people.

I smoked for 12 years, took me 3 months to kick it, its not easy, but you will kick it if you really want to. Smoking related diseases do put a strain on the public health purse. It is just a fair that smokers pay extra, after-all they choose to continue with every puff they take.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 10:16:27 AM »

Most of the crowd I grew up with were heavy smokers. Only one was hospitalized, and he was told if he kept smoking he would die. That was good enough for him. Today, none of "the crowd" smoke. Still drink like fish, but not smokers anymore.

Public awareness of cancer etc has worked. I think the government will continue to target smokers until they cannot raise their quota of revenue. They will most likely increase the tax on drinkers.

If the government could tax illegal drugs, then it would be a massive windfall for them.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 11:22:51 AM »
But it upsets me to see what they are doing once again with taxes - now that the addiction isn't around to make me ignore the change and not think about it, I can see how terrible it is to use an addiction to squeeze taxes out of people.

I smoked for 12 years, took me 3 months to kick it, its not easy, but you will kick it if you really want to. Smoking related diseases do put a strain on the public health purse. It is just a fair that smokers pay extra, after-all they choose to continue with every puff they take.
I had stopped smoking my self at one stage for a year and a half but then started again, when i stopped i couldn't stand the smell of people smoking, i would winge at my Neighbor when i was in my back yard and i could smell them smoking next door. Nothing worse than a reformed smoker  :lol
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 11:34:04 AM »
They have taxed tobacco to death here in the US.

I'm not a smoker, but both my parents are. And my wife's Mom does, her Dad did, but he stopped when he had heart surgery and was told to stop by his doctors.

A carton of one brand was $50 the other day when I was waiting in line to pay for something at the corner gas station and looked up at the sign. That was one of the more expensive brands, but still, damn!

A lot of people from Indiana (my state) drive south to Kentucky a few times a year and stock up, as taxes are much lower there since Kentucky makes a large portion of the tobacco consumed in the US.

I'm not educated on the numbers, but I have heard the number of smokers has dropped.

It's also frowned upon heavily in the US society. Smoking is banned in my county with the exception of bars and 'private clubs' - and in some counties here, they've even banned it in bars!

its the same over here in Aus', no smoking indoors (pubs, clubs, resturants, shopping centers, etc.) Its even illegal to smoke in a car with children under 16 over here. but i do agree with the rules,

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 01:50:27 PM »

Sorry Greg, gotta disagree with ya.. very convenient to hit smokers (yes i smoke) for taxes as we are a burden.. what about people who are overweight? work too hard? play sports and get injured.. They are also an uneccessary burden on the health system (one can argue) do we tax them extra.. no. Either ban it or let us buy them without having to line government coffers.

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 03:44:04 PM »
The government is not fair dinkum about getting people to stop smoking. Actually they love it that we smoke (I personally gave up 6 years ago). If they were serious about the problem, they would make the cost per packet $20. But if they did that they wouldn't get their taxes now would they? If nobody buys them, the government wouldn't profit. So they bump the price up little by little and the poor smoker finds and justifies a way to raise the extra bit of cash to buy the next packet - until the next price hike, and the cycle starts again. 20 years ago, the cost per packet was under $5. If I knew back then that today the cost would be so high, I would have stopped there and then. But these gradual price hikes every year or so have a certain way of playing games with your mind. You convince yourself that it's not that much extra to pay, just what Kev and Co. want you to believe.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 04:08:02 PM »

Sorry Greg, gotta disagree with ya.. very convenient to hit smokers (yes i smoke) for taxes as we are a burden.. what about people who are overweight? work too hard? play sports and get injured.. They are also an uneccessary burden on the health system (one can argue) do we tax them extra.. no. Either ban it or let us buy them without having to line government coffers.

Cool to disagree but...........

KFC vs a stinky durry...............fillet burger and chips wins hands-down!
 *%*

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 04:39:43 PM »
Dont want to pay extra tax then dont smoke I guess...
$2 extra per pack is an extra $800 or so a year for most smokers...

Give up the smokes and spend the cash on pins I say... #*# #*#
Then once pin sales go sky high they will bring out a pinball levy of some kind..lol
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 05:26:26 PM »
Either way they are the goverment and they are there to screw us over one way or another.  Another good example is offer a rebate for solar to people who can afford it they loose money on power bill so up the price of power to cover losses   Brilliant...  !!@     

Old saying still stands the rich get richer while the poor get poorer