Author Topic: DATA EAST ?  (Read 681 times)

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
DATA EAST ?
« on: May 01, 2010, 01:57:05 AM »
Just wondering any opinions on DataEat machines - Are they reliable and easy to get parts ?
Around 1990 era
pinballaustralia.com

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: DATA EAST ?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 08:29:42 AM »
Hey Milsy,

I've had a few and just currently doing up a ripper of a Star Wars.

The main things to look out for a the usual burnt G.I plugs and the biggest problem is the fuse clips mounted on the PCB.  More often than not they need replacing but an easy job.

One up and running I found them to be as good as any other.  Parts wise, plastics etc are generally easier to get and our local sponsors carry most of the consumable parts for them otherwise Marco's carries a heap more.

The only thing is the D.E's screen printed directly to the cabinets..Cab art is not available.

Best of luck.

PS...LAH best game ever!!!

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 08:57:22 AM »
data east, sega made some excellent gear, the tech was carried over to later stern titles.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 09:47:43 AM »
I have got over 16 data east/sega titles and i have found data east to be bullet proof.

The worst problem i have ever had is a lousy blown fuse once in a blue moon.

What data east machine are u looking to buy ?   !@#
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 10:11:50 AM »
I have a Data East Star Trek 25th and it is very reliable.  Had a coule of problems over the years (dry joint on power supply and a resistor on the display) these can be common problems on DE.  But BMWs (Bally/Midway/Williams) have there own share, so I would rate them on a par "problem wise" both very reliable.
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 10:36:39 AM »
Hi Millsy . I also find that DE pins are very reliable . A lot of people tend to bag DE machines saying they are "slow" and "clunky" ....  !@# . Anyone who says that has obviously not been and played my DE Star Wars . It's very fast and smooth . Parts are generally pretty easy to get and as mentioned above the most common problem is the fuse holders on the PCB but they are an easy fix .

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 11:03:55 AM »
I have got over 16 data east/sega titles and i have found data east to be bullet proof.

The worst problem i have ever had is a lousy blown fuse once in a blue moon.

What data east machine are u looking to buy ?   !@#
Quite like the artwork on the phantom of the opera - not sure what these go for -dont really need a deep rule set at this stage.
pinballaustralia.com

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 11:59:57 AM »

Data Easts are like Toyotas - They don't necessarily look great, but they are very reliabile once you complete the manditory repairs. Flipper Kits are VERY expensive, and plastics sets etc are not as widely available as Bally / Williams. Drop target assemblies are simple, motor/gearboxes are expensive when they need replacing.

MartyJ covered the basics - GI plugs/connectors on the PSU and ALL fuse holders !

I like DE games and I see no reason why anyone looking for a cheap good player would go past one  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 12:10:13 PM »

Data Easts are like Toyotas - They don't necessarily look great, but they are very reliabile once you complete the manditory repairs. Flipper Kits are VERY expensive, and plastics sets etc are not as widely available as Bally / Williams. Drop target assemblies are simple, motor/gearboxes are expensive when they need replacing.

MartyJ covered the basics - GI plugs/connectors on the PSU and ALL fuse holders !

I like DE games and I see no reason why anyone looking for a cheap good player would go past one  ^^^

You mean they have computer software problems that cause unintended acceleration and almost certain death for the driver and passengers?? :lol

I think DE machines are far better than that!!!
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 12:20:46 PM »

You mean they have computer software problems that cause unintended acceleration and almost certain death for the driver and passengers?? :lol

Huh ???

Still got the Original 1975 Hiace Ute and Van on the road that were used to transport hundreds of Pins, Jukes, Bingos, Billiard table etc etc.. Both restored and running perfectly. I've owned Toyotas (Celicas), Ford (EL) and Holden (VL Turbo) and the Toyota was FAR more reliable and inexpensive to run.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 12:34:37 PM »
The Phantom of the Opera pinball is absolutely beautiful when shopped properly.

I saw a mint one and it was stunning to look at. The rich colours on the playfield and backglass, along with the warm red glow on the playfield gave out a very luxurious feel. A very nice looker indeed.

I did play it and it was a keeper for sure. They sell for anything between 3 to 4 grand in top condition. In this market, maybe less.  ^^^

Has any aussie pinball member on here got one ?   I thought the audio on it was great as well.   ^^^

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 01:09:12 PM »
Surely you have heard the news????? Sticking accelerators (caused by a software glitch) have been blamed for over 60 deaths already and sparked massive recalls of Toyotas:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/our-point-of-view-post.aspx?id=2234

Huh ???

Still got the Original 1975 Hiace Ute and Van on the road that were used to transport hundreds of Pins, Jukes, Bingos, Billiard table etc etc.. Both restored and running perfectly. I've owned Toyotas (Celicas), Ford (EL) and Holden (VL Turbo) and the Toyota was FAR more reliable and inexpensive to run.

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 03:05:20 PM »
At least we do know, that Millsy will try not to take the machine home on the back of a Toyota with a sticking accelerator.

Unless he buys a "No Fear" pinball.  %.%

Anyway, Marco Spec, Bay Area, and probably Mark C soon will have heaps n heaps of parts listed for Data East.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 07:32:19 PM »
Surely you have heard the news????? Sticking accelerators (caused by a software glitch) have been blamed for over 60 deaths already and sparked massive recalls of Toyotas:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/our-point-of-view-post.aspx?id=2234

Huh ???

Nope - never heard of it until you mentioned it. I guess Toyota are the only car manufacturer on the planet that have ever had a recall ?? Where does it mention "60 deaths" ?

I would STILL buy a Toyota ahead of a Ford or Holden - and I've owned a model from all three manufacturers.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 07:33:51 PM »
Soo Milsy, any hints on which game you're looking at?

Did I mention how good LAH is!!