Author Topic: NEW PIN - photos n updates !  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Re: NEW PIN - photos n updates !
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2010, 08:14:34 AM »
What a marathon effort going on there. I can tell you are really hyped over your last concave Brett () Now there is one Sega Showcase you do not own...........and it kick's ass!
 *%*

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2010, 10:59:24 AM »
I wear my sun glasses at night, so i can, ()  @.@
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 11:01:51 AM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2010, 11:30:52 AM »
What a marathon effort going on there. I can tell you are really hyped over your last concave Brett () Now there is one Sega Showcase you do not own...........and it kick's ass!
 *%*

EB, i dont own it  YET ! lol.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 12:30:41 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2010, 11:46:52 AM »
 *%*

EB, i dont own it  YET ! lol,  but i have plans to purchase another 20 machines over the next 12 months. I am on a mission. To have the biggest n best DMD collection in Australia, and hell, why not, the world. I am working towards having every Sega ever made and most Data East n Williams. Mostly DMD anyways.

you should do your own container loads Brett

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2010, 11:54:29 AM »
EB, if u saw what comes in those containers (or should i say what doesnt come in them) u would agree why i havent gone that route for good reason.

too many parts are mising from container pins. the euro sellers are definately not trustworthy, and i believe they try n send all their junk to australia.

imagine a whole container full of nasty surprises, thats what i have seen friends get when they open the container and find machines galore robbed of many many parts. i am convinced, euro sellers pass off machines that shld be parted out, as machines ready to go. i would kill someone if my container turned up missing stuff here and there, and everywhere.lol

but, no pinball is perfect, not even a brand new one i guess.  !@#
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 10:21:41 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2010, 12:29:47 AM »
UPDATE

Day 1.  The first 4 or 6 hrs was spent changing the power chord from German to Aussie 240 Volt. Andrew removed some hack repairs related to the power supply.
We added a brand new coin door replacing the non existant coin door and Service buttons were added. The dot matrix didnt work so we had to use a loan dot-matrix from another Sega.

Day 2.  All new roms added n updated. We fixed switch issues assosciated with the ball trough. We replaced missing fuses from under the playfield. We found a few blown transistors and a few blown I.C's on the main board. We will effect these repairs on the main board overnight. We tested the relay assosciated with the ball snagger motor and the coils assosciated with the ball snagger magnets and pick up coils. They all work thank god. The problem with the 97 version of the Lost World Jurassic Park is that no parts or motors are avail for this ball snagger which is a major part of the machinery on the playfield. I have included a video someone made below of this motor/ball snagger in action. At this stage, my ball snagger and motor assosciated stuff is all ok.

&feature=related

The next problem I have to deal with is the Large white Dinosaur Egg on the playfield. The egg was missing so i purchased one. Unfortunately, some of the hardware assosciated with the opening egg is missing. I should be able to replace these few small pieces. With Andys help we will have to fabricate a small bracket or 2 if Mark doesnt have one ?  Otherwise, the machine is coming along nicely. I didnt expect as many hassles, but thats the norm with buying a machine unshopped. No big deal, nothing stops us, it will come up a treat.
More updates to come. The light at the end of the tunnel is coming.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 11:32:03 AM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline necroscope

• Forum Posts:
  • Romsey Vic
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2010, 04:38:15 PM »
Hey cave wouldnt mind seeing a video of the gameplay one day if you get the inkling,there arn't any decent vids on you-tube featuring this pin that i could find anyway.great score mate ^^^

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2010, 08:56:29 PM »
yes mate,

here is the only video avail anywhere of some spanish guys. its short, but, until i do my video, its the only video i can find anywhere.  !@#

hope ya can speak spanish or some dam thing.lol
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 08:58:12 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2010, 09:24:12 PM »
Day 3 Update

Today, we took the main CPU board out and Andy did a few hours of repairs on it. He replaced 2 x screwed transistors, and replaced an I.C. Fixed a few switches and replaced a diode or two from under the playfield and fix a few switchs/drop targets etc.

We then put the board back in the pin and tested it. Everything now works fine, so tonight, I can now strip the playfield, replace all blown globes and replace the full rubber kit. I have decided i will do the Treasure Cove polish treatment to the playfield on this machine. I will take a few photos etc after it is done.

In the end, Andrew (Beaky) ended up doing the following to get this pin up n running.
* replace coin door and all wiring, add service buttons.
* replace/rewire power supply, change power chord to Australian and say goodbye to German connections, remove hack power add ons.
* replace dot-matrix with a loaner because orig one was stuffed n dead
* replace and reprogramme ALL roms from German to latest English
* effect repairs on the main CPU board incl transistors and an IC.
* replace blown fuses, here and there, and everywhere
* adjust a few under playfield switches/drop target switches & replace a few diodes
* test all coils and all playfield switches again once all probs fixed.
* stuff around with the ball snagger device for 3 hours and finally get it working but to find the timing pulley belt was/is broken

Now its time to strip the playfield and i will shop the rest of the Pin.

* A HUGE THANKYOU TO ANDREW, WHO HAS TO BE THE WORLDS BEST BLOKE FOR SPENDING 20 HOURS ON THIS PINBALL MACHINE BRINGING IT BACK TO LIFE.
 ^^^    ^^^    ^^^    ^^^    ^^^    ^^^    ^^^    ^^^ ^^^    ^^^ ^^^    ^^^ ^^^    ^^^ ^^^    ^^^ ^^^    ^^^ ^^^    ^^^

* A HUGE "GET ROOTED" TO THE DODGY EURO PINBALL TECH WHO WAS AN IDIOT HACK NOB JOCKEY WHO CAUSED US ALL THE WORK.  &^& &^&

Now its time to strip the playfield to make her shine and flash well.  ^^^ Also, since i purchased the machine from Mark unshopped, its important to see here, just how much work there is in turning a container pin, into a working pin. We didnt expect this many problems, but we got there in the end, and nothing was ever going to stop us, since it was my birthday present to myself, after all.lol  ^^^
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 10:33:48 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2010, 10:22:50 PM »
glad i could help
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2010, 10:27:21 PM »
Nothing but appraisal for Beaky all around !  ^^^
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2010, 12:13:14 AM »
Good job all round - I can see there can be quite a bit of work involved in getting a pin up and running. And that is before polishing etc.

Offline Redback

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2010, 08:20:03 AM »
Excellent work,

Thanks for sharing,

Red
Found hobby, now need coin

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2010, 11:15:58 PM »
I spent tonight stripping the playfield down on the JP Lost World. I used the Treasure Cove Polishing kit.

As sum 1 said, its a bit over-rated. The spounges/various fittings are awesome, i am just not convinced of the quality of the polish these guys send out.   !@#  
* I have used Mills Wax by hand prior and have found it works like magic. The use of a drill with the treasure cove polishing kit does take some of the hard work out of doing it by hand. I am of two minds about the polish that comes with the TC kit.

I think its just normal el-cheapo polish. It is very very thin and doesnt seem to work anywhere near as good as the mills-wax does.

In any event, the machine has turned out to be a full resto because it came loaded with euro faults and fix ups.No big deal.
Mechanically, after apx 12 hrs work, it is now fine, I just have to make her shine like new again.

I will load some photos of the stripped playfield, and the results of the polishing using the TC kit tomorrow.   ^^^ So far, it is coming up a treat.   ^^^
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 03:06:36 AM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2010, 08:58:53 AM »

Anything out of Europe needs a full recondition  %.%

Shame you didn't get the same results with the TC kit as I did. I've used it on two machines, one with dull mylar and the other with without. I won't use anything else - and I used to swear by Novus 2 and canuba paste wax.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia